anon
Years ago

What are the BSA Comp Team doing!?

Again I am bewildered with the scheduling of junior games by the BSA Junior Comp Committee??

Last week Court 3 at Pasadena empty all night while games are played at Mars 3 ,"The Tomb" aka Marion LC and games are scheduled for 9.15pm starts at other venues? Why is this so ?

This week, no games at Wayville 3 and again the"The Tomb" aka Marion LC and Mars 3 are being used for 4 games each?

Neither of these Centres ( Mars and Marion LC )have facilties to attract parents and players to "stick around" after a game ( eg Food, Bar etc), just to pack up and go home at watch football

I thought the whole part of moving Under 20's to mid week was because we didn't have enough court space ? Seems like their maybe court space available and I am sure some clubs would enjoy the opportunity to "play at home" every now and then!

What are they doing ? Surley hiring Mars 4 and "The Tomb" is costing money while Wayvilel and Pasadena are sitting empty.( Pasadena floors look amazing by the way)

Don't they want players and parents to be part of a club and stick around and make a night of it at local junior ball ?

Both Wayville and Pasadena are "central" locations and would reduce travel to players and parents

In recent weeks we have seen South play South at Morphett Vale when court space is available at Pasadena ????

Have they done any homework ?

I would be interested to see how others feel and should we start looking at the make up of the team or wait for the "new team" to have a look at 2011 and beyond and say " Soemthing is not right here" .

Will players and parents give BSA feedback or are some of us a lone voice?

Surely we all play the game to make a night of it at these venues ( Pasadena and Wayville) that offer facilties to entice people to stick around for a bevvy or two and perhaps watch some ball ??

I have seen the newly refurbished 4 court stadium at Morphett Vale sheduled for 4 games on 2 courts on a Friday night and listened to the UIC and Court Supervisor saying " What are they doing"

Surley with the decline in ref's numbers to spread them over 8 stadiums on a Friday night is not helping?

Why not shift Under 16 from Thursday and play on Friday ? and move U20 to Thursday and let some of these guys play Reserves ?

Reserves numbers are really light in some areas and players are confused why they can't play both U20 adn Ressies?

Anyone else feel the same??

Feedback people ..............

Topic #23410 | Report this topic

6ers Fan  
Years ago

I think you will find BSA has a "good" deal with CASA to hire MLC and St Clair SO they use these venues. I agree, MLC is crap and the floor is not good for continual running on. And I cant see why MV should not be utilised more with at least 3 courts running even on a non-div1 night. All the rubbish about it being in the sticks makes me cringe- FFS its 20 mins from Marion, Pas and Wayville and a straight run up the hill. And as an ex Southern parent I travelled longer most weeks with 2 kids at different days and times to the likes of Mars and Pt Adelaide- its what you sign up for.

Reply #283403 | Report this post

Bilby  
Years ago

How can a good deal beat playing at a venue yow own. BSA are losing $30K+ per year using just MLC. Not to mention the double byes, byes drop off on saturday mornings and its effects on future refs. Also they are paying 2 door people and 2 refs in charge when 1 would do.

Plus teams now only have limited home games, which was meant to be the main thrust of the competition overhall. By suns team only has 6 games out of 18 at home and I know of another team at my club that has 5. And this is at a club who uses a BSA stadium.

The competition structure is worse than before and losing money, not that BSA would be able to see it.

Reply #283415 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Feedback to clubs and ask them to contact BSA - then hold you breathe because be same old same old.
Give you the big Ten 4 - 410 on the ball here.

Reply #283427 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

the scorebench at MLC is too close to the court a couple of inches at best - occ health and safety issue - Wish the stadium manager would report that!!

Reply #283444 | Report this post

yep  
Years ago

MLC is shit!

Reply #283447 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

u16s D3-5 cant go to a friday too many games for the splattering of free courts.
I like the concept of what bsa have initiated with u12/14 D2s moving to fridays and u20/21s to tues - the only way i think they could work u16 div 3-5 would be play either both nights - ie you could play either thurs or friday depending on draw - or just make u16 div 3 a friday night comp - but i think there would be too many teams.
i think you will find MLC is used because the extra u12/14 teams need early time slots ie have to play either 6 or 7 pm.
there is not a home and away season based on who's court is used - it is just team A and team B - so we need to accept that south and sturt may play at the port and north and forestville may play at morphett vale - just hopefully not in the same round !

Reply #283454 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thumbs up !!!

You can't be serious......FFS.........

If it is not a Home and Away season why do you wear a club singlet and shouldn't you at least think you may get the odd game at home rather than being stuck in a stadium that has no heart when stadiums like Wayville and Pasadena are free.Ring the stadium manager at Wayville and get his feedback on the use of 8 stadiums per night.

Do the sums and see if you would be happy to pay for this business

Surley we can all put up with the odd one or two games at a venue that is not home to either team, but if Pasadena and Wayville are free , we should be using these for games of South v South ,not sending them to Morphett Vale.

i think you have missed the topic, why are BSA paying for court hire if they have their own courts free.It just does not make business sense in a business that screams poverty and lack of volunteer support.

How do clubs get volunteers to assist with ABA, BBQ's , Canteen etc if you get to play South v South at Morphett Vale for goodness sake.

I suggest we move some Div 1 games to MLC and watch people complain then about not playing at home !!Perhaps start with the Under 14's on MLC 2 with the score table so close and no change rooms

The whole idea of getting the U12 and U14 Div 2's to Frdaiy night makes a good argument, but when you have Pasadena with newly resurfaced courts, bar and good canteen facitlites going to waste and the same can be said for Wayville, what business manager wouldn't use them.

As for your home and away dribble, I think Sturt and Forestville teams in some divisions would really enjoy the opportunity to play on Court 3 at Wayville or Pasadena rather than being banished to "The Tomb" aka MLC for 50% of the season.

Give it a few years, when clubs are screaming they have no coaches, no team managers and no one to run BBQ's or canteens, think of this thread and remember.

Home court every now and then is not a lot to ask , is it ??

Reply #283458 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Be thankful that you get any home games. Most senior Div 2/3/4/5 teams and U16 3/4/5 teams never have a game at their home stadium.

Reply #283462 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

south and north have only 2 court stadiums so - getting a home game is harder to fit for those clubs than morphett vale which has 4 courts.

This is the first time i have heard of the safety issue at MLC and is of concern and must be addressed.

The comp committee recently had vacancies - you sound motivated enough to give it a go. I hear what you are saying about utilizing the vacant spaces - It may just need someone to micro-manage the draw.

Your comment on Div 1s not playing at MLC is a fair one - but that has always been the case Div 1s have first pick of what they want, then div 2 etc etc.

Ie - Our game was in progress one night and one div 1 coach went over to the head ref and complained the scoreboard was not working on their rostered court and they wanted ours. The head ref then stopped our div 2 game already in progress ! - sent us to the defective court and made to restart the game. So the Div 1s could have a working scoreboard - what we wanted just did not matter - and our game had started.

Reply #283469 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Believe Woodville home games for under 12's is Marion while no longer any Girls due to same hassle.
Centrals played south at Morphett Vale other week - explain that bet we went past empty courts.

Reply #283470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because for a lot of South Adelaide players, including me Morphett Vale is just as close to where I live as Marion Stadium is.

Again Morphett Vale is barely 15mins from Marion stadium. Get over it.

Reply #283480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We were at MLC for first time a couple of weeks ago and I know the coach was extremely concerned about an unpadded score bench only inches from the court. He was wrestling with whether his duty of care to his players warranted saying I am not playing here!!

It is just a stupid location and I cannot believe BSA signed off on it as a suitable location!!

Reply #283481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unpadded score bench only inches from the court

Issue.

It is just a stupid location

Non-issue. But at least your potential real issue loses credibility as you now just sound like a whinger.

Reply #283488 | Report this post

Love the sausage  
Years ago

yeah...but I bet he decided to "play on regardless" despite his reservations regarding the score bench.

Same with the heat policy... unfortunately it always takes someone to get hurt...or worse for any action to happen.

Reply #283983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754