Anonymous
Years ago

Where is the money in basketball?

Where is it in basketball??

We have local leauge footballers making a fair amount off just local football, there is a player in my local area on $1200 a game.. just for a local game mind you.

a mate off mine players soccer at a very measly level mind you and everyone in there seniors gets $300 a game, I mean I know its becasue off packers and sponsors ectect

Is it really that hard for basketball clubs o attract sponsors?

Topic #23440 | Report this topic

Ushiro  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #284088 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There is some good money to be had at SEABL level in Victoria, but certainly there will always be more money in Aussie Rules. Most local footy clubs get their money from well-off supporters of the club tipping in lots of money for basically no return other than hoping to see their club win.

Until you see a similar tribal culture infiltrate basketball in general (there are some basketball clubs where this is the case) you wont get people willing to pump money into local senior teams.

Reply #284099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe. The money over there makes AFL incomes look like chumpchange. Lots and lots of professional teams across the countries.

I think basketball in Australia is on the up so lets hope (if money is your thing) that there will be more opportunities.

Reply #284102 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The biggest difference in a local Football Club to a basketball Club is the number of adults actively involved in playing. A fair comparism would be an Amateur league Division 1 Team to a State league Basketball Team.

Athelstone Football Club have 4 Senior Teams and an U/18 Team, making around 100 - 120 participants. They also have Junior Teams from u/8 to under 16, with about 250 participants.

West Adelaide Bearcats have 5 Male and 5 Female Senior Teams, assume around 80 different players and 30 Junior Teams, a max of 300 participants.

So on paper, similar size Clubs, difference may be that Athelstone has licenced Clubrooms with 21 Gaming machines. On top of that is the meals and the other groups like 8-ball, darts, etc that use the facilities during the week.

The other consideration is that many of the senior players at the football club will start there as juniors, progress through the seniors and still be active until their late 30's or even beyond. Their own children usually start playing for the club as well to continue the association. Therefore it is a lot easier to get sponsorship as these older people are quite often in business and put back into their Clubs.

Reply #284121 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Football clubs have more of a "club" atmosphere, so players, coaches, families, supporters all hang back after the games. This generates a lot of extra income for the clubs. Most footy clubs have meals on saturday nights and even sometimes Thursdays for the players, again extra income.
Compare this to a basketball club; Games are at 8:15pm for men so they finish around 10-10:30pm and by that time 95% of supporters would have gone home. You also loose a lot of the younger kids watching the games (along with parents) because it is simply too late for them to be out till 10pm. You also then don't have supporters hanging around for a drink or a meal after a game because again it's too late.Not a lot of footy clubs have pokies (Athelstone is an exception) so this doesn't come into consideration.
I think the other problem is a lack of advertisement from a league point of view. We are at a SANFL level (one under the national league), yet compare the advertising that occurs. We have zero! The only thing that occurs is a small radio interview on a small radio show. Now people will say this needs to come from the clubs, but what are BSA there for? Aren't they meant to be there to run the league and try and make it successful? Wouldn't this entail advertising? What about advertising in schools???
The other thing that impacts the payment of players is the salary cap that is enforced on teams. Now if the cap of $15k was split 50/50 over the two teams then $7500 equates to just over $400 a game to spend on players. Now I think a salary cap is crucial as you will see some clubs fold if it is not enforced but should it be slightly more now that most clubs seem to be going ok financially?
Should the league look at changing game times to say 4pm and 6pm? Should the league look at spreading games over the 2 or even 3 days (where possible), so at least you will get extra fans come to watch in opposing players/fans?
Just some thoughts...

Reply #284135 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

and of course you need to factor in that normally basketball clubs pay vastly more in rental than their outdoor counterparts...

Reply #284141 | Report this post

websites... Vroom vroom!

Reply #284146 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Very true HO, but many charge their participants a lot more too. That is an issue basketball needs to adderss in my opinion.

Reply #284157 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Paul, basketball is often reputed to be very expensive, on the whole, for a domestic player its not that expensive in relation to many other sports.

Compared to local AFL it generally is. Compared to hockey or soccer (maybe cricket) its really not.

Basketball has some economics of cost sharing which makes it much more expensive to deliver. Court hire is expensive, and often distributed between just 10-14 players - compare that to a soccer field, where 22-26 players share the cost of field hire (which is on an hourly basis much cheaper). Referees costs are similary shared between those 10-14 players whereas referees for a hockey game are again 22-26 players.

Uniforms requirements for basketball are comparitively cheap compared to many other sports - especially those where you simply just have to have protective equipment.

Insurance and registration, with the ridiculous exception of NSW, is generally much cheaper for basketball than for soccer, hockey, cricket etc. I can register for example in Country Vic for $30 for a full year, compared to soccer which is more like $75 for a season (half year).

My niece played a season of hockey - the cost was close to $400.00 all up - basketball at 6 bucks a week over 20 weeks was much cheaper - even counting insurance and registration.

But if you want the blowout, its court hire. I can hire a footy field for $1500.00 for a season (thats two nights a week and all day saturday). I can not get a basketball court for under $20 an hour, and some places I know get charged over $50.00 an hire.

Even at the better of these rates I only need 5 nights of basketball in a 3 court stadium and I am at $1500.00 bucks already. And the $1500 outdoor field hire is often giving me a pavillion which i run a bar and canteen in!

Reply #284164 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Basketball is quite expensive for parents, particularly if kids want to progress to higher ranks. No question there are reasons for it, but as I said, this is something the sport needs to address or it will be at a disadvantage to many other sports.

In some instances it will require creative solutions, in some other cases associations who have long paid off their stadiums continue to charge the same prices and spend more on their SEABL team.

Reply #284170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754