Tru Blue Emcee
Years ago

Reasons Why The Sixers Will WIN This Season

There has been alot of negativity around the sixers being too small and what not, but how about we focus on the positive side of the Hood Sweeney 36ers:

Adam Ballinger (enough Said)

Scoring 3 points down the offensive end every time is better than scoring 2 :-P

You don't need to rebound when the shots are dropping!

Us! The crowd is the 6Th man on court...

Adam Ballinger

We will score 100+ every game

New Coach

Lets go, lets get some Positives out there....

Topic #23443 | Report this topic

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Oh and we got Adam Ballinger!!! lol

Reply #284118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah can't think of to many positives right now. Unfortunately my basketball intelligence over rides my 'based on a true story' hollywod themed amazing playoff run I want the 6ers to have. Playoffs a pipe dream at this point.

Reply #284122 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

The food's pretty good upstairs.

Reply #284123 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

We will need to be the best full court defensive side in the league in order to create a run and gun tempo and not allow bigger teams to get the ball deep into the keyway.
I think the problem is some of the players we have signed will be great defensively but some of the players we kept just won't be able to keep up.

Reply #284126 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

dont forget adam ballinger.

but we will also have speed on our sides, i think we will see a very fast paced 36ers squad. i think finally this season we will be able to do without brett maher where as last season it was a massive void left by him which we were unable to fill.
Marty Clarke will no doubt be focused on developing the young guns. we will be less injury prone with the average age group of our team. im referring to burston of course, awesome player but more fragile than fine china.
it will be a very entertaining season and i think all the doomsday supporters will be surprised.

Reply #284127 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

also i heard a interview with marty clarke and he is really focusing on fitness at the moment, the sixers are currently training twice a day, so running out of legs should not be a problem

Reply #284129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All hinges on Ballinger staying healthy and avoiding back issues.

Reply #284130 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well done True Blue, a positive thread on the Sixers.

I think Clarke is a positive, I am very interested to see what he brings this year, and how the team responds.

Also the ranga big man we have...Balli someone?

Reply #284138 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

lol @ "doomsday supporters".

Reply #284139 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

The bust of Mark Davis by the entrance

Reply #284142 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"You don't need to rebound when the shots are dropping!"

You still need defensive rebounds...

Reply #284151 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, I thought most NBL teams train twice a day during pre-season (and some during season). Am I wrong?

Reply #284155 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Bah! Defensive Rebounds are overrated...lol

Reply #284156 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Paul, according to the interview its something the sixers have never done before. it was a radio interview with Marty, you can hear it on the ABC website.

Reply #284159 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Also don't forget we got Jacob Holmes Arguably one of the best rebounders in the NBL

Also Adam Ballinger!

(Lets keep this Thread Positive people)

Reply #284161 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

It seems that most people are worried that the smaller team will struggle against the taller opposition.

Last year the 36ers rebounding per player was as follows:

Returning players
Ballinger 28 games 46 ofrbs 103 defrbd 147 total
Holmes 29/54/113/167
Herbert 27/29/45/74
Ng 28/17/44/61
Hill 27/19/61/80

released/replacement players

Burston 22/46/97/143
Johnson 28/69/50/119

Burston played less games but more minutes than Johnson

Cooper 28/19/50/69
Dowdell 31/22/33/55

The two new imports are likely to have similar figures to those of last year.

Add in Rhys Carter who is likely to see a bit more action than Molitor.

So looking at stats only, the two leading rebounders are still there. Johnson's numbers are less than Burston's but more offensive than defensive so perhaps a problem there. Dowdell for Cooper is around the same mark and is a backup role anyway.

Will be interesting to see how this year actually pans out, with different starters, a stronger bench, a new coach and a new game plan.

Reply #284165 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Positive hey - on their night this team will shoot the lights out and the Powerhouse/Dome/BMC will be rocking!

Reply #284174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When your talking about average age leading to less injuries, and pleading to keep a clearly negative situation positive on a thread, where its all about speaking ones mind, your definitely in denial of whats about to happen. People are forgetting just how much of a finisher Balls is, he is not a creator, a perfect secondry option, he will not be able to lead this team to the promise land. Isaac makes a great point about the back issues he has had too.

Reply #284176 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I think thats the point Anon is that we wont have one single player to take us to the "Promise Land" as the team will need to work as a team, at the end of the day it takes the full team to pull off the win. plus i dont think we have seen enough of winder to be able to tell what impact he will have. so i believe the negativeness coming across is a naive view and looking at paper only.

Could you please explain how it is a "clearly negative situation"

Reply #284179 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Which player led Perth to the promised land last year?

Reply #284182 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I think the reason for most negativity basically boils down to this syllogism:

- Last year, we finished last.
- All things equal, this year's playing squad is not an obviously large or readily-apparent upgrade on last year's playing squad.
- Therefore, people are worried about this year.

Of course, the second premise there is based on a whole lot of guesswork, inferences from player stats, etc. What we do know is that the 36ers will pull the best crowds in the country and have a great atmosphere on game nights, and we also know that we have a new coach who will instill a new attitude and install new systems into the team. So really, all I can say is I'm looking forward to the season, and come rain or shine I will always support the Sixers!

Reply #284183 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

here here, hereschenes, thats alot of here's

Reply #284188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think we'll be challening the Kings for the wooden spoon next season. The second import needed to be an Ebi Ere/Donta Smith type for us to be a playoff contender.

It will be a long bloody season and we'll get all the usual excuses from the usual suspects like we did last season.

Personally I think it's insulting to the fans that the town that reguarly has the biggest crowds in the league gets dished up a team like this for the second year in a row. I know the SOS group are just out to make a buck but it shouldn't be this blatant. I doubt they're even spending the whole cap which if you had Wollongong's small crowds you could understand.

Reply #284195 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I have to agree with Isaac above - if Ballinger misses games we are in big trouble as have no depth in the front court. Sure Jake is a good rebounder but is undersized in the post and is not a weopon offensively.

Reply #284198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Ballinger's back is a risk, but I don't think it or the imports are clearly a negative situation. Right now, the league is set to be more level than even last year was. Every team has been cramped by the enforced salary cap.

Reply #284199 | Report this post

Troy's the Boy  
Years ago

SOS out to make a buck
That has to win the "dick head of the year" post award

Reply #284200 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

SOS out to make a buck? That's hilarious!

Reply #284201 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Anon. you'll do much better in life if you find the positives rather than just point out the negatives. Another good thing to look forward to this season is the Sixer Dancers..oh and beer...lots of beer!

Reply #284202 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

@anon you understand that Ebi Ere and Donta Smith are paid over 400k each not sure who else would be able to be on the team with them.

Reply #284204 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Troy's the Boy, ill drink to that and also vote for that stupid comment.

Reply #284205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'195, I think that's insulting. SOS are not out to make a buck unless it's through building up a stable club that first sells out the venue and then becomes a profitable situation. If they were out to 'make a buck', do you seriously think they'd buy an NBL club?

Reply #284208 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

kb3, most of the people that are saying this years team is crap believe only one person needs to get them to the finals. so in there minds their ideal team is to have just that one player. they make it sound like a team of 12 year olds with donta smith or ebi ere on the team would win finals.

Reply #284209 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The salary cap in 2002 was more than it is now, but in real terms, ie inflation, it is significantly less. There is also a lot tighter watch on cap breaches and third party payments. That, along with the Player points, make it so much harder to build a competitive team.

What some people forget is that the owners of the 36ers are not Billionaires like their American equivalents who can afford to drop big $$$ on their indulgances. Be thankful that they have filled the breach when Hemmerling said enough and there is still a team to watch.

Reply #284212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'195, I think that's insulting. SOS are not out to make a buck unless it's through building up a stable club that first sells out the venue and then becomes a profitable situation. If they were out to 'make a buck', do you seriously think they'd buy an NBL club?

Why does the venue have to sell out when we have the biggest crowds in the league combined with one of the cheapest rosters? Yes, if they run it the way they currently are, how could they not make a tidy profit?

Reply #284213 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

just did a quick comparison of height v perths team

Knight v Johnson ( Johnson +5cm)
Lisch v Devries ( Devries +5cm)
Martin v Winder = at 188cm
Redhage v Balls ( Balls + 2cm)
Robbins v Carter ( Carter +4cm)
Tovey v Hill ( Tovey +1cm)
Trueman v Dowdell= at 205cm
Wagstaff v Holmes ( Wagstaff + 5cm)
Weigh v Herbert ( Weigh + 6cm)
Williamson v Ng ( Williamson +7cm , Ng much better vert though)

so really not much in it yet a lot of people bitching about the 36ers being short.

4 of our starters are same or taller than them

Reply #284215 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The difference is that Perth's frontcourt reserves are bigger and better than Adelaide’s. The other difference is that they have an import spot and 9 points up their sleeves. Adelaide are thin up front, no doubt about it, but that doesn’t mean they cant win some games.

Anon, as for SOS making a 'tidy profit’, I think you are out of step with the reality of the NBL. One club (and some would question that) made a profit last year.

Are you aware what the break even point is for games at BMC? On top of breaking even on games (ie ticket sales + corporates = rental costs) SOS would need to generate around $2.5-3 million by my casual estimates to make break even overall. Where do you think all that money is coming from?

Another reason the Sixers will win this year, Devries hitting clutch triples down the stretch.

Reply #284217 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

good summary kb3, but as usual people will pull out the whole well its not really height its the experience issue. so my two cents worth of free advice to you is dont waste your time trying to turn these pessimistic people optimists it just wont happen. but a good comparison there indeed

Reply #284218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, as for SOS making a 'tidy profit', I think you are out of step with the reality of the NBL. One club (and some would question that) made a profit last year.

Are you aware what the break even point is for games at BMC? On top of breaking even on games (ie ticket sales + corporates = rental costs) SOS would need to generate around $2.5-3 million by my casual estimates to make break even overall. Where do you think all that money is coming from?

I'd suggest the break even point at the Dome isn't as onerous as made out to be. The 36ers are their main tenant. If the Sixers moved the thing goes belly up so realistically can't afford to be charging too much. Aren't the SOS group looking at buying The Dome too? Once again biggest crowds in the league yet one of the cheapest rosters.

Reply #284220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why does the venue have to sell out when we have the biggest crowds in the league combined with one of the cheapest rosters? Yes, if they run it the way they currently are, how could they not make a tidy profit?
Firstly, you're assuming it's a cheap team. Secondly, you've ignored ticket prices and corporate support and what those might contribute. And lastly, an answer to your last question: very easily. Same way almost every team in the league and in the past has failed to make a tidy profit!

Reply #284221 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

What is the 36ers finals record since Ballinger joined the team?

Reply #284222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, do you think the 36ers made a profit last year?

Reply #284223 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

He made the grand final with the hawks in 2005.

Reply #284224 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Isaac i think your statements are falling on deaf ears. i completely agree with you, i think anon is one of those types of people that believe in every single conspiracy theory out there and believes this is another one.

Reply #284225 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Has anyone mentioned Adam Ballinger yet?

Reply #284228 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Apparently we're running the South Park Underwear Gnomes business model:

Phase 1. Crowd
Phase 2. ???
Phase 3. PROFIT

Reply #284229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SRT, I think you're right.

If it were such an easy financial situation, I think people would've been lining up to buy it rather than one consortium barely scraping in to get it after the previous owner couldn't make a go of it. If you wanted a 'tidy profit', not only would you not invest in basketball, you wouldn't split it amongst a 5+ person consortium!

I'd say that running the 36ers would've been even more expensive than SOS had anticipated with pessimistic projections. They certainly didn't profit last year. And running it (finances aside) is far from a walk in the park either - I think I'd almost watch Dirty Jobs for career ideas rather than take it on if I had the opportunity!

One last point, if they are sticking to the cap and spending frugally elsewhere with the plan to building a stable franchise rather than trying to buy their way to glory, then bravo - that's exactly what should be done rather than watching the club fall over every second year. The only big-budget owner I can think of who still has a team is at the Breakers - Groves, O'Brien (or whoever it was at Cairns), the Sydney crew, Groves/Hemmerling, Cowan/otherdude - all gone.

Reply #284231 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

LOL @ Loco and his phase's. i loved that episode

Reply #284232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, you're assuming it's a cheap team. Secondly, you've ignored ticket prices and corporate support and what those might contribute. And lastly, an answer to your last question: very easily. Same way almost every team in the league and in the past has failed to make a tidy profit!

Define cheap? One of the cheapest rosters in the league? Common sense says yes. How much cheaper are ticket prices under the SOS group than they were under the previous owners? You're right though biggest crowds in the league year in year out don't mean squat. If the SOS group need 8,000 people a night to make a profit (as you suggest) despite all the cost cutting then clearly something is wrong with their business model.

Reply #284233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you've taken my "sell out stadium first" line too literally and are getting side-tracked. I doubt they have to sell out the Dome to breakeven. I'm saying that their first priority would be to breakeven and stabilise and optimise before they pushed things further than that. And if they can do it that way, more power to them - it's how it should be done. They can split a meagre profit x ways and maybe it almost makes up for the hours put in from half of them working in the office.

I also think you're too hung up on the concept of a cheap team. We've got Ballinger (not cheap) and two imports. Perth won't have two imports and besides Knight and Redhage, the rest aren't pricey by any stretch. Cairns have Loughton maybe as their next best? Melbourne took Devendorf out of the NZ NBL. Wollongong are obviously well under the cap. The Kings are a cheap team too. Townsville took an import from an Asian league and have their next best option as probably Hinder and Schenscher. Who else? Gold Coast took Davison who hasn't played NBL in years and are mostly in a great position because of Goulding and Gibson (IMO).

Can I ask, have you been burnt at some point? Missed out with a bid? Don't like someone at the club? Are you even from Adelaide?

Reply #284236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, do you think the 36ers made a profit last year?

I don't see how they couldn't have.

Reply #284238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might want to open your eyes then. Thanks for wasting my time this afternoon - it's been lovely.

Reply #284240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SRT, I think you're right.

If it were such an easy financial situation, I think people would've been lining up to buy it rather than one consortium barely scraping in to get it after the previous owner couldn't make a go of it. If you wanted a 'tidy profit', not only would you not invest in basketball, you wouldn't split it amongst a 5+ person consortium!

I'd say that running the 36ers would've been even more expensive than SOS had anticipated with pessimistic projections. They certainly didn't profit last year. And running it (finances aside) is far from a walk in the park either - I think I'd almost watch Dirty Jobs for career ideas rather than take it on if I had the opportunity!

One last point, if they are sticking to the cap and spending frugally elsewhere with the plan to building a stable franchise rather than trying to buy their way to glory, then bravo - that's exactly what should be done rather than watching the club fall over every second year. The only big-budget owner I can think of who still has a team is at the Breakers - Groves, O'Brien (or whoever it was at Cairns), the Sydney crew, Groves/Hemmerling, Cowan/otherdude - all gone.

No, SRT is wrong.

No one is saying it's an "easy financial situation". Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Seamus McPeake intersted in buying both the 36ers & the Dome? I know of at least one other party that was interested too so lets drop the white knight stuff. Splitting it amongst 8 or so people is insurance against potential losses, the smart thing to do.

I don't think running the Sixers would've been more expensive than they anticipated. They knew the club was losing money and how much we were over the cap. They're spending a fraction on the roster the previous owners did, have a naming rights sponsor, cut costs throughout the place with not much drop off on crowds which are still as usual the biggest in the league. I'm not saying it would be easy to run a club but much easier with a number of people in a consortium as opposed to 1 or 2 people previously.

The club has never fallen over though. Seamus still has some sort of ownership stake/control over the Tigers, the Wildcats spend, the Blaze spend. Sure maybe not to the taking the piss level of Groves, Pratt's nephew and Seamus in the past.

None of this changes the fact though that we have the biggest crowds in the league yet one of the cheapest teams.

Reply #284241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you've taken my "sell out stadium first" line too literally and are getting side-tracked. I doubt they have to sell out the Dome to breakeven. I'm saying that their first priority would be to breakeven and stabilise and optimise before they pushed things further than that. And if they can do it that way, more power to them - it's how it should be done. They can split a meagre profit x ways and maybe it almost makes up for the hours put in from half of them working in the office.

I also think you're too hung up on the concept of a cheap team. We've got Ballinger (not cheap) and two imports. Perth won't have two imports and besides Knight and Redhage, the rest aren't pricey by any stretch. Cairns have Loughton maybe as their next best? Melbourne took Devendorf out of the NZ NBL. Wollongong are obviously well under the cap. The Kings are a cheap team too. Townsville took an import from an Asian league and have their next best option as probably Hinder and Schenscher. Who else? Gold Coast took Davison who hasn't played NBL in years and are mostly in a great position because of Goulding and Gibson (IMO).

Can I ask, have you been burnt at some point? Missed out with a bid? Don't like someone at the club? Are you even from Adelaide?

No, I didn't take it too literally, I knew it was BS.

Yes, Ballinger wouldn't be cheap. Winder was playing in the D-League for chicken feed. DeVries isn't an expensive import by any stretch. Johnson couldn't ask for too much given he hasn't done anything yet. Holmes didn't want to leave. Herbert's cheap. Carter's cheap. Ng wouldn't be playing for much for obvious reasons and Hill & Dowdell are both fortunate to even be in the league.

No, unlike some I don't have an angle or vested interest in any of this I just think last season's roster was a bit insulting (stuff like signing Cortez and refusing to cut him, something you and many others wouldn't have gone quiet about under previous owners including Boti) and this season it's shaping up as much the same thing.

Reply #284247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might want to open your eyes then. Thanks for wasting my time this afternoon - it's been lovely.

Don't be a smartarse. You'll notice I was doing you the courtesy of responding to each of your posts so hadn't read that yet and furthermore given how close you are to the owners forgive me for taking that with a grain of salt.

Reply #284251 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Well there goes the positive thread lol

Adam Ballinger any one?

Reply #284254 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

So what costs do the 36ers have?

Players

Coaches

Trainers/Physio/Doctor

Administration

Venue Hire - Game and Training, Staff

Insurance

NBL Fees?

Accommadation

Transportation

Promotion/Advertising

Telecommunications

MC/Announcers/Cheerleaders

I am sure there are amny other expenses I have missed. Anyone with real knowledge care to put some actual figures to these items?

Reply #284256 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You didnt address my question as to where the $2.5-3 million (+ money for game venue rental) comes from to cover player salaries, coaches expenses, admin staff, superannuation, medical expenses, insurance, training hire, office hire, electricity, water, stationary, travel costs, refs, running a website and the other small costs that accrue.

14 home games at $25 average ticket with 4000 paying spectators is only $1.4 mill. Take away court rental and tell me where does the rest of the money come from that leads to this 'profit'?

Reply #284257 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It makes me think that I'm not being heard yet above all the mumble jumble and rave......the sixers spent the cap.

Reply #284259 | Report this post

choco  
Years ago

Im personally excited about this team.

We have a lot of players that can flat out shoot the ball which is gonna make for some exciting basketball.
Bagging this team without seeing them play is just retarded. The best coach in the NBL ever (hate to say it but Brian Goorjian)picked similar types of teams without star studded rosters and was successful and also don't tell me that Adelaides 2002 championship team was full of stars. Just give this team a chance and i think you will be surprised.

Reply #284260 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I wouldn't bother guys, anon does not come over as having much credibility.

At least we are all agreed on Ballinger.

Reply #284261 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Camel, they were just a little short of the cap last year werent they? Low $900,000s?

Reply #284262 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i think its funny its always a anonymous post who b*itches an complains about everything, the 6ers will be fine.

its always easy to pick out the negatives, but damn we havent even played a game yet so atleast wait til the first 4-5 games an then see how awesome/terrible we are,

oh an i reckon we should of signed some kid named ballinger or something

Reply #284263 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

$965,000 (and ya leave a bit there just in case.. changes and the like)

Reply #284265 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

anon i think your the only one living in lala land. Yeh we get the biggest crowds thats doesnt mean squat in regards to profit. If its so profitable why was it so hard to sell and we nearly went under? And having a board with 4 or 5 members doesnt make running the show any easier. That is harder in my point of view as everyone has to agree on big decisions and its human nature that people dont agree on everything. Dont forget that the consortium members didnt know eachother until the sixers so its not like they are all mates and agree on everything. I really think you dont understand the expenses involved with running a team. Its not just salaries and thats it.

My best argument is if they were out to make a buck why did they support gilchrist through his injury then when they had no legal obligation to?? If your out to make a buck you keep every cent and dont go wasting it out of the kindness of your heart mate. But im sure you have a reason for that to. May i suggest publicity stunt?

Reply #284266 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

Anon = Mal ?

Reply #284273 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I read THE I CHING , yesterday - it said
" Could there be a more uncomfortable position intellectually than of floating in the thin air of possibilities, not knowing whether what one sees is truth or illusion ? "

Anyways - we got Ballinger.

Reply #284274 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

Anon if you really believe SOS bought the sixers to make a quick quid I can only suggest you stop smoking crack

Reply #284276 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So much talk about how much money spent on players. Did I miss out on the open day for all fans to go in to the office and inspect the books. I would have no idea how much money is being paid to any of the players, so cannot understand the arguments associated with it. Regardless of all that, I can't honestly believe that all fans would not want a competitive team whether SOS spend all the cap or not. Its nonsense saying things like atleast we have a team. Its like saying atleast the corner deli stocks shoe laces even though you have no need for shoe laces. A competitive team is an expectation if fans are to continue buying tickets. The 36ers are a product for sale. Like all products, you only buy them if you like them and they meet your needs.

So many mixed views on the subject which is fine, but when it comes to supporting the team by buying tickets to their games, that's an individual choice. Everyone will make their own individual decision as to whether to go to the games or not.

Reply #284293 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Hilarious thread... I have really enjoyed reading this one, it has made my day.

Sorry your positive thread got hi-jacked TruBlue, and turned into a half baked debate on finance and accounting. Wish your attitude was contagious!

Just to wade in briefly on the finance side of things, how does cheaper tickets equate to SOS just looking to make a buck? I guess I missed the part in microeconomics where making your tickets cheaper and keeping basically the same attendance levels, results in more money for a cash grabbing ownership.

Reply #284295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it starts in Alice Springs and continues up in Darwin. Maybe some people from Adelaide wouldn't mind coming up for the Top End Challenge.

You get to see every team play for about $20 a night. You can find suitable accommodation either in the city (12km) from the stadium or try the Darwin Airport Inn which is 1km away (I believe most teams will stay here or the Darwin Airport Resort across the road).

This is the start of the build up, so accommodation shouldnt be to pricey and flight thru melb on Tiger make it rather cheap.

Hope to see more than just the GM follow the team to the topend this year.

Reply #284299 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Oh, and to get back on topic;

Adam Ballinger
Marty Clarke
Troy DeVries "shooting the piss out of it"
The Boys working their butts off at training at the moment, meaning they will be very fit come seasons start.

Reply #284301 | Report this post

marshall  
Years ago

Last year our line-up looked good, but we sucked in my opinion for a few reasons:

1) No team chemistry. Our imports didnt work well together. Cortez was taking far too many shots, and playing far too many minutes. Gilchrist was chilled.

2) Work Ethic

I've been to watch a couple trainings, and we have DEFINITELY solved the work ethic problem by recruiting Marty Clarke. He automatically makes us the hardest working team in the league. And, I think the guys he's recruited to play for him will have great team chemistry.

But Marty Clarke is more important than Adam Ballinger (in my opinion) .. and i love Ballsy.

Reply #284358 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

if the Sixers got some ginger guy to play forward I think they will be able to win a few games.

Reply #284361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt many (if any) NBL teams would even make a slight profit.

Hopefully the 36ers can get there eventually!

Reply #284363 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

and dont forget Ballinger!

Reply #284371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Who's playing the 4-spot this year?

Reply #284374 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Just quickly on the finance subject, i want the SOS to make money, i NEED the 36ers to be around as long as I'm alive, i want my baby boy to play for em one day.
We got tradition here and yeah money is a big part of sports these days but who cares!!!
If i had the cash i would purchase this team too knowing that i wouldn't make a cent, Why you ask? because this team is my heart and passion (and it would also sound pretty pimp telling ya mate's you own a professional basketball team hahaha)

Also we got Adam Ballinger

Reply #284387 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers invited 36 supporters to a Supporters Forum where we given information and gave feedback and the like.

Reply #284391 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

First thing is EC is right it is about selling your product and the team is the product and the base for the good crowds is season ticket holders and they buy tickets before season starts on what they see as their team .
Second point is Ballinger is no Brett he does not come out and win the big games for you or lift whole team with his efforts .
Not knocking Adam but thats the past.
The difference this year in team and how we will play is the coach thats why I think we will improve a lot .
And of course had to say it no b---y Groves

Reply #284392 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

bretts the man, but we have ballinger

Reply #284396 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, are you sure they've got a naming rights sponsor?

Winder was playing in the D-League for chicken feed.
He was playing in Syria.
DeVries isn't an expensive import by any stretch.
Said to be more expensive than Lisch (and I imagine he'd be more than Gruber, Davison, perhaps Rychart, more than Rickert would've been, probably more than Devendorf and so on). I don't think there are many "expensive imports" in the league any more.

Will leave the rest because the difference between what someone thinks is cheap and what's pretty average in the league may not be much.
No, unlike some I don't have an angle or vested interest in any of this I just think last season's roster was a bit insulting (stuff like signing Cortez and refusing to cut him, something you and many others wouldn't have gone quiet about under previous owners including Boti) and this season it's shaping up as much the same thing.
I thought (and said) that Groves should've been replaced. I wondered if he wasn't because I assumed he was cheap. He (bizarrely) wasn't cheap, I learnt after the season. I said the same about replacing Chappell and about Tyndale (36ers were my client the whole time).

Last year, they got close to breaking even but didn't profit. Whether you think "can't see how they wouldn't have profited" is irrelevant I guess.

There was other interest (as there always is - remember Ron Basset?), but how many stepped up to pay for it? No one else. Because it was a risk. If they can make it work, great. If you don't like the perception of a cheap team (whether it's true or not), you can (as I'm sure you do) vote with your wallet or contact the club to express your feelings.

Every time they've overspent and fallen into a dangerous situation (post-BASA, post-Hemmerling) it's made it much harder to recruit a team. Players who might've played for $x0k on a contender might demand $1x0k to move to an unstable club.

Reply #284405 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

you made some good points there Isaac, good stuff fella

also Adam Ballinger

Oh and a shout out to my boy Darren Ng and the Ng boys in the crowd, (the guy who wears the N is an awesome fella, the G...not so much hahahahaha)

Reply #284407 | Report this post

In keeping with the spirit of this thread I will only give my positive thoughts about the Sixers this year:

I really like the uniforms.

Thanks,
WG

Reply #284426 | Report this post

Illicit  
Years ago

True blue let me just say if I ever see you at the dome I'm gonna punch you square in the Murray magpie, you know that guy in the 'G' shirt is awesome

Reply #284440 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Not only do we have Balls, but our mall has a set of balls to. coincidence??

Reply #284550 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Go the Sixers. (sigh)

Reply #284930 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

Has there been any dates or venue's set for the pre season games? I for one are dying to see this team in action!

Reply #284937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754