Isaac
Years ago

Stacker new AIS mens head coach

28 July 2010
STACKER APPOINTED HEAD COACH OF AIS MEN'S BASKETBALL PROGRAM
The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) has continued its tradition of employing excellence by appointing Ian Stacker as head coach of the AIS Men’s Basketball Program.
Stacker, who was Basketball Victoria State Director of Coaching for 12 years, has spent the past three seasons as assistant coach at the Melbourne Tigers. Previously he was head coach of NBL franchises the Townsville Crocodiles and the Geelong Supercats.

Stacker was also head coach of the triumphant Australian under-23 team that won gold at the 1997 World Championships in Melbourne.
Stacker said he was delighted to be given the opportunity to work at arguably the best sporting institution in the world.

'The AIS is regarded throughout the world as being at the forefront of elite athlete development and the Institute’s basketball program is testament to that reputation,’ Stacker said.

‘I’m looking forward to helping build Australia’s future in the basketball arena through the development of talented junior players.’
AIS Director Professor Peter Fricker said Stacker was well equipped to take the Institute’s men’s basketball program forward through his vast experience and expertise.

‘Ian is one of Australia’s outstanding coaches who will help build on the strength of a world class basketball program,’ Professor Fricker said.
‘With an intimate knowledge of Australia’s elite basketball pathways he is well placed to guide Australia’s talented young athletes in their quest for excellence.’

‘The AIS, through the partnership between the Australian Sports Commission and Basketball Australia, continues to help strengthen Australian basketball through the development of talented young athletes.’

‘The Institute’s proud record of developing players such as Andrew Bogut, Nathan Jawai and Patrick Mills is testimony to the quality of the program.’

Basketball Chief Executive Larry Sengstock welcomed the appointment of Stacker.
‘The quality of the applicants for this position was truly exceptional, with some top Australian and international coaches considered for the position,’ Sengstock said. ‘Ultimately, Ian’s extensive experience and demonstrated success made him the preferred candidate and it is a selection that Basketball Australia is only too happy to endorse.’

Topic #23444 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) has continued its tradition of employing excellence by appointing Ian Stacker as head coach of the AIS Men's Basketball Program."

Agreed but what heppened when Frank Arsego was there. Was fortunate to have some amazing talent but coaching abaility left a little to be desired.
Don't let the record haze your opinion either.

Reply #284140 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting appointment.

Reply #284143 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Back to the future? A Mens Head Coach whose career highlight was 13 years ago and a Women's Head Coach who first started at the AIS 24 years ago!

Not that I necessarily disagree with those appointments but its interesting that in the 10 or so years since the late 90's there has been no coaches emerge who could command the job.

Reply #284163 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The Stacker appointment is really interesting. I've never seen him as a great developer of talent, whereas Phil Brown certainly has that reputation.

Reply #284178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was expecting someone from the North Melbourne Giants!

Reply #284184 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I'm sure they can find a link somewhere Paul. Ian had a brother who played (Peter?) - maybe he played for the Giants!

Reply #284189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ankles you could say the same thing about most NBA coaching staff at that level. Many of them are recycled.

Think of it as a funnel. As you move up and up the there are fewer and fewer people able to do the roles. You do have a point as I am sure it would always be good to have a wider funnel.

Reply #284192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown
Larry Sengstock
Wayne Carroll
Marty Clarke
Bruce Palmer

There is one Giant connection here but I can't work it out?

Reply #284193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all Males?????

Reply #284206 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

NBL referees will be pleased. No more YouTube games by Mr Stacker. Funny but stacker rhymes with wacker

Reply #284211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very poor choice....

Reply #284275 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

my dealings with ian stacker have been excellent. i feel he is a good choice. he is a good task manager and gets the job done.

Reply #284505 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754