SRT070
Years ago

Where are they now: Corey Williams, Dr. No J Hodge

i was just thinking with the NBL rosters virtually completed what has happened with the two imports as controversial as they may or not be. i cant understand a bit more why Judas isnt in but im still a bit stunned that william's isnt playing. especially rolling off of an MVP. sorry if this has been brought up earlier. has he priced himself out of the league?

Topic #23452 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Hodge is self explanatory in my opinion, no team wants to put up with his ego and the rubbish that comes with it. Does anyone really care where he is and what he is doing? You can probably safely predict that he is in the gym working out and trying to avoid drinking the poison!! :)

As for Homicide, I think teams may have come to the conclusion that whilst he is a great player he wont lead you to the Championship?! I hope he does well wherever he goes though!

Reply #284388 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Corey did himself no favours during the HSH Tournament IMO. He was the proverbial black hole - not team oriented at all. shame really, as he can flat out play and was great for the league.

Reply #284397 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hah, the reason is alot more simpler. Hodge and Williams (despite their completely different persona's) both need to have EVERY play run through them.

With the quality of players in the league now, you can't rely on standalone players anymore. Team oriented players are needed, not Mega-stars. Unfortunately it's not the NBA where the key is left open to do crazy passes or dunks. You'll only get that on the fast break in the NBL.

Homicide would still be good in the league; however I wouldn't expect him to be taken on running the Point. I'd want to look at moving him to a 2-spot so he can focus on scoring. Unfortunately he's got no J and he's too short to play a good "slasher" type role.

Reply #284398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both these players will earn they money in Europe without doubt. Both are just too good not to get paid.

Hodge was a 1st round pick & Williams is known globally as a brilliant streetballer and competitor

Reply #284399 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I agree about Williams in the HSH he was doing the whole one man show which did not do him any favours at all. I see your point that it isnt about the mega stars or anything but it seems a bit crazy that he is just out of league now. he was a very good image for the sport in Aus it will be weird without him to be honest.

Maybe he should become naturalised, im sure he would get snatched up then in a flash as long as his price tag drops with it.

Reply #284400 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Why would he want to become naturalised and drop his price??

Reply #284401 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As has been said, Williams' HSH play put off a lot of coaches. The offers he's had in the NBL since are much lower than what he was overpaid last year.

Reply #284402 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Billo, what Isaac said.

also sometimes players are comfortable where they are, maybe he doesnt want to move to europe and deal with a non english speaking team, some players arent bothered and others are. Willams has been here for ages so maybe he is just as comfortable and im sure he has enough money that taking a pay cut he would still be able to make a living. so that could be valid reasons for a pay cut. if he doesnt take one then he will probably have to look at working elsewhere.

He sat next to us at the HSH for a few minutes and was saying how he hadnt been signed up by the crocs again. he sounded keen to stay in Aus

Reply #284403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure its just as much No Jay Williams as much as Hodge!

Reply #284413 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Aus is a great place to play ball; the only reason behind it NOT taking off like Euroleague is the lack of Billionaire investors.

And agree with the above about HSH. Sure, Williams got a couple of 30+ ppg games, but they lost all 4 games. Granted he didn't have the worlds greatest lineup to work with; but you play with the cards your dealt.

Reply #284415 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Boti today:

WAS recently told by an NBL figure I trust that so-called superstar imports who eventually ply their trade in China's league, generally have had issues at previous destinations.

That may go some way to explaining the lack of interest in former Dragons' Larry Sengstock Medallist Donta Smith.

While I think of it, Julius Hodge has just played his second game for Guangzhou Free Man in China.

Reply #284417 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Corey has actually just signed up with Brand Jordan... he is fully sponsored by them now for shoes and clothing, representing them at tournaments etc

Reply #284438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754