Jack Toft
Years ago

ABA Finals – week 1

Womens

Norwood-Tigers @ Mars
Luck may be on the side of the Tigeresses if Norwood are still down on players and relying on reputation to get this one. Tigers played a great come back game a fortnight ago and need to snuff the Flames early to have any chance of venturing deeper into the jungle. Norwood, at full strength, at home will be hard to beat, but a depleted Norwood may need some help from the refs in the Tigerhunt.
West-Sturt @ Port
This is going to be a goodie, no a great game. Sturt have just gone about their business all year without much fanfare. West have got the job done too, but with the talent available have usually had enough in the tank most games. Both teams pipped by the Eagles for top spot. Chances of Sturt slipping under the defence of West are pretty slim at Port Misery. After the game, a Sabre rug will go nicely into the bar to match the Panther, Lion, and Tiger rugs to complete the set of wildcats.

Men:
Eagles-North @ Wayville
This is the "Crusader's Final". The prize for who-ever wins this game is a final against either an angry Sturt, or a desperate Norwood on THEIR home court. Yep, it’s like whoever wins the battle has to go and slay the dragon. What fun. Who will play the part of Shrek? Will be very close game. Both teams need to be out of the blocks early and force the other onto the backfoot. Eagles will look to Riley inside and reckon we’ll see plenty of 3PA’s in the first quarter to push for an early 10 point lead. Rockets will be looking for their big man too and guards will be going 1 on 1 chucking 3PA’s like a lazy man chucks a sickie after a long weekend.
If this doesn’t go into overtime, the final play will decide. Slightly leaning towards Eagles.

Sturt-Norwood @ Pasadena
For Norwood to threepeat from 3rd will be something special. They face an uphill battle, but one which should inspire anyone. I can’t wait to see what some of these guys look like in 10 yrs time. Who will do the best Darren Jarman/Darren Lehmann after retirement?
Sturt will be very hard to beat at home and I suspect have more firepower - Sturt by 7. Sturt may win round 1 on home turf, but Norwood will re-group and plot their ultimate demise (insert evil laugh). An early loss will put the pressure on Norwood, but Webber will save his magic for GF day. Surely he couldn’t do it again? A slab of pales will go his way if he can. Reckon this game will see some Westies lurking in the crowd like a politician at a strip joint.

Topic #23456 | Report this topic

enjoythegame  
Years ago

Good write up as always but one problem sturt V west girls is at sturts home ground .....

Reply #284423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

southern lose their big girl(jennings) after this week going home to see her brother before he deploys to Iraq

Reply #284424 | Report this post

rocket  
Years ago

Good write up JT

Reply #284439 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

Considering North went 8-1 on the road, with the 1 loss being by 1 point v West, I'm not sure they would be shattered about playing anyone on thier home court? Probably would be more concerned if they had to play at Hillcrest!

Reply #284441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

team who has finished top in the last 10 years of mens abl has never won the gf

Reply #284454 | Report this post

uhh...  
Years ago

yeah the sturt V west game is at pas :)

Reply #284518 | Report this post

Westbearcub  
Years ago

Correct me if i am wrong because i wasn't old enough to really take notice back then i thought the west women ended up on top of the ladder in 2007

Reply #284527 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sorry all, wrote the names down back to front!

Is it Friday yet?

Reply #284551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west by 4 over the sabers in an upset cracker

southern over the flamettes by nearly 20

Reply #284693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754