Beantown
Years ago

Boomers stanking it up or not?

So what are peoples overall thoughts on the first three games of the Boomers in the Stankovic Cup?

I have only caught about half of the Chinese game and 5 mins of the Iran game, so I don't have a lot to go on.

The Boomers seemed very out of synch in game 1, missing shot after shot and constantly seeming a step slow or not catching the ball with their feet set correctly to attack.

I did think they came back well late in game 1 though, playing good defence and showing more composure than the Chinese.

Mills seems to be our most dominant scorer and Ingles and Newley seem to be putting up a few points as well. Not a lot of opportunities for our bigs, apart from Andersen, who has missed a horrendous amount of shots.

I have liked that Brown is encouraging our guys to play up tempo and to pressure the ball full court at times. I'm guessing this is why he wants both Gibson and Martin in the team. If they can polish the full court D up a bit, it could come in very handy in Turkey.

I also like the consistency of the scores we are holding teams to (63, 60 and 63 points). That is a good sign that our defence is consistently strong. Especially when you consider Slovenia racked up over 100 points in one game and China 86 in another.

I think if we add a strong big man in the centre like Maric (or even Nevill) and interchange Nielsen and Wortho at the 4, we are looking fairly solid. At the moment, with Andersen in there, we do get pushed around a little more than I'd like.

Thoughts?

Topic #23468 | Report this topic

jim  
Years ago

You beans check the replay of the Slovenia game 2. Defence was solid as hell! That was the best game by far. you are right thou we need another big.

Reply #284664 | Report this post

ballboy  
Years ago

The problem I can see is that the second unit goes missing for large parts in both offense and defense,
As was evident in the game against Iran, Gibbo and the other guards struggle to get the offense moving when patty is not on, also I hope Barlow can get some form as he's having a shocker in the cup games so far.

Reply #284666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are undefeated.
Can't be that bad.

Reply #284673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking fairly solid. Think if we had fit Bogut, Bruton and fitter Jawai we would definately be a medal contender.

Andersen/Nevill/Baynes
Nielson/Worthington
Newley/Barlow
Martin/Ingles/Goulding
Mills/Gibson

Nevill is better then Ogilvy and think Goulding is far better then Markovic. Goulding performed the best Australian player in HSH, his outside shooting, size and hustle was great and also his youth and playing now will do great for some experience. Like having the two point guards starting and if it doesn't work you can go to Ingles or Barlow. Martin's defence and decent outside shot and rebounding makes him best for the starter at the 2.

Better Line Up:

Bogut/Maric/Jawai
Nielson/Andersen/Ballinger
Barlow/Ingles
Newley/Goulding
Mills/CJ

Reply #284695 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

From watching all four of the Stankovic Cup matches it appears that Australia has major, I mean MAJOR, problems running its offense. We need some flow....having said that the defence, as is often the case with Australian teams, is solid.

Just a quick question, what happened to Alex Loughton, he looked the goods against Argentina....

Reply #284982 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I believe Loughton was injured at the Queensland camp. I'm not sure as to the extent of the injury. It will be interesting to see if and when he recovers, whether or not he squeezes someone out.

Reply #284988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754