nick
Years ago

Ankle Braces or Ankle Taping?

I am currently doing an assignment for a school subject, and for this I need to get some rough indications of how many people use either braces or tape their ankles.
So if I could get replies on what you prefer/use, and maybe a small explanation of why you prefer your prevention technique would be of great help
Appreciated, Nick

Topic #23469 | Report this topic

NBA agent  
Years ago

I use ankle braces ASO ones I tapped before that but got hard before games to do and having to buy tape.
So I prefer Braces.

Reply #284668 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

four of my players use braces.
Aso kind

Four tape up.

One tapes up and then braces over that.

Most use braces due to cost and hassle.

My preference is tape shaved ankles no under wrap.

Reply #284670 | Report this post

WestBearcub  
Years ago

tape and then brace over top

Reply #284671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braces are preferable and in the longer term cheaper.
Not everyone likes the feel of braces

Reply #284672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

juniors would probably be braces (cost effective), but in seniors most clubs supply tape, so would be taping id think

Reply #284674 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Braces, less hassle and time consuming.

Reply #284676 | Report this post

Reply #284679 | Report this post

Hope you are acknowledging your sources, otherwise you're in for rude awakening when/if you get to Uni. ;)

Reply #284680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

use neither taping and braces weaken ankles and lead to more ankle injuries if you stop using them, have never had one ankle injury in 10 years!

Reply #284690 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Have used both over many years due to the inevitable sprained ankles. Currently use ASO braces over taping due to cost and convenience. Prior to ASO, braces used were uncomfortable and not as effective.

To anonymous above - no ankle sprains - try playing harder

Reply #284699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul: I'm not the previous anonymous but would like to say that in 18 years of playing I've only done my ankle once - tore the ligaments! Off for 4 weeks, taped for about 6-8 weeks and never touched the tape or braces since - It's called having strong joints, bones etc - why??...because we haven't used tape or braces on our ankles therefore strengthening them naturally!

Reply #284713 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

it also depends on the need of the player.
When taped properly, tape is much more supportive than braces, but a pain in the arse. Matt Shannahan tried to make it mandatory for tape when he coached U16s here in Wollongong, I tried it once... never again.

Reply #284714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annoymous Reply - #284713
Thats all good and well to have "strong" ankles but it doesn't unfortunately matter how strong your ankles are if you fall on someone else foot..

Reply #284915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annoymous Reply - #284713
Thats all good and well to have "strong" ankles but it doesn't unfortunately matter how strong your ankle are if you fall on someone else foot..

Reply #284916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can second 284915's comment. I have a daughter who plays both netball and basketball and has had no ankle injuries EVER. The very day she commented on how lucky she has been with injuries..... You guessed it. Landed on a foot rebounding and is at the Physios as i type. Just ordered TWO ankle braces (ASO)

Reply #284919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry. For your assignment. Went for braces because my daughter is allergic to the sticky part of the tape and for the convenience.

Reply #284920 | Report this post

jOEYkNUKLES  
Years ago

No ankles injuries = no paint on your shoes
Tape is costly but in my opinion far better than any brace (yes, I have the ASO in my cupboard at home)

I find that if you remove the tape right after the game you can avoid shaving your ankles.

Reply #284928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous 916: I wasn't saying that you won't do your ankle, I was moreso responding to Paul's comment of:

"To anonymous above - no ankle sprains - try playing harder"

Just because you don't do your ankle doesn't mean you're not paying hard! I've landed on other people's feet many times and nearly done my ankle, but I play on and end up with no trouble - don't need to go running to the tape or braces.

If you have trouble with your ankles then that's fine if you need to tape or brace them, but if you've never had a problem, why bother?

Reply #284932 | Report this post

Jinz  
Years ago

I have had reasonable strong ankles for the past ten years, but due to "freak accidents" of somebody's foot magically appearing, I suffered a broken foot 9 months ago. After this I used a swede-o ankle brace that I found effective.

I do agree with the statements of braces and tape weakening your ankles, as I played my first full game without ankle braces two weeks ago, and I am now in a cast due to ligament ruptures from a 3rd degree ankle sprain.

If you need ankle support, find whats best for you. strapping can be effective as long as you have it strapped properly..But I find ankle braces more supportive and cheaper in the long run.

Reply #288547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754