Anonymous
Years ago

Worst Basketball Injuries sustained in the last 3

Hey people, just want to get a list of ideas on your opinions of the worst injuries seen on the basketball court over the last 3 years. IT can be from a broken bone(s) to a ripped eyebrow.
Post them this will be interesting?????????
Name the player, club and year of the injury. Be serious as well on this.........

Topic #2347 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

Well a young U14 Div 1 boys player (I think) from Norwood had some teeth of an opponent embedded in his head during his game last year.

Reply #26371 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

This happened as Pasadena on a Friday night and is why the blue curtain is always down now.

Paul Welbourn was umpiring on Court 2, going trail to lead on the south side of the court (side opposite to score table). Neal Bridgeman and I were reffing on Court 3. Change in possession, Neal turns to go from trail to lead on the north side of court 3 (opposite side to score table).

Both refs, full speed - crashed into each other...heads colliding!

The ambulance had to be called for Welby and he had to be taken to Flinders Hopsital to be checked out!

Can't remember the year...maybe 2001?

Reply #26372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHA good job welby.

I've seen a woodville guy put his teeth into court 3 (i think it is... it was the far left court when coming in the main entrance) of the dome about 2 or 3 years ago... left a mark on the court. 2 or 3 teeth broken I think 2 shattered and 1 might've been recoverable, not sure.

Seen a few dislocated fingers, broken noses, dislocated knee caps, heads into concrete walls.

For a 'semi-non-violent' sport you can injure yourself quite seriously, even without the help of others. Even I myself have a life injury that has happened due to a basketball injury.

Reply #26378 | Report this post

Years ago

More than 3 years ago but Ninnis girlfriend, think its now his wife, not sure, snapping her leg in half at the dome, horrific.

Reply #26379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville player, Cameron Wilson i think got a broken leg running into a pick set by one of the Groves(north) brothers at the dome

Reply #26382 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

In a school game at underdale uni, a kid tried to lay up tripped over and there is about 1m run off. He knocked him self out for at least 20 minutes.

Reply #26396 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

I remember a few years back Erin Seawood (Adelaide Quit Lightning) had just gotten back from a stint at the AIS and was playing 20's at pasadena, in a seemingly harmless rebound contest, managed to do her knee, another reco and another 9-12 months out.

Reply #26422 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

I had my hair moved once by a guy that close too close to me in a game. My mullet has never sat well since, and am thinking of styling it into a comb-forward.

Reply #26430 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

I saw first hand my foot not moving when I snapped my achilles tendon, that was scary for me, maybe not anyone else.

I also saw about 10 years ago a guy playing for Torrens Valley break his foot at the Powerhouse and his ankle stayed at 90 degrees. That was terrible.

Reply #26435 | Report this post

The Taperoo Kid  
Years ago

I can still see the little fat kid land face first on court 3, and yes you can still see where his two front teeth dug out the floor.

I spent two days in hospital with bruised Jatz Crackers when I jumped and came down on a dude's shoulder as he was powering up.
Stopped me going for 'up fakes' for years.

Reply #26451 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Two Injuries that happened whilst playing on Monday nights at Wayville.

1) Guy dislocated his knee. Sat on the court for 25mins while we waited for the Ambulance. The thigh bone and shin were at 90 degrees (not hyper extended) but the knee cap was half way around his leg.

2) Team Mate "snapped" straight through his shin. Leg just dangling in the air as he hopped around. Mmmmmm.....delicious!
It was a sheer break. It was actually impressive when I think about it!

Grab me a sick bag!

Reply #26477 | Report this post

The Taperoo Kid  
Years ago

Over the years I've seen 3 dead bodies carried out of basketball stadiums.

All 3 were old social ballers whose tickers stopped ticking.

Pretty severe injuries those one's!

Rehab wasn't successful either.

Reply #26484 | Report this post

chardonnay  
Years ago

there was an axe attack at one club.

several players were axed from the team

Reply #26543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country carnival 2 years ago
court 3 of port adelaide, a girl in offence went to draw a blocking foul, both defence and offence fell over, offences right knee fell between the defensive players legs and she shattered her knee cap.

additionally i have seen a player get break teeth on court 2 of morphett vale stadium and a player KO himself on court 1 of pasadena stadium.

i have seen an umpire take a steel pole to the back whilst trying to get into position on the east end of court 1 @ pasadena

Reply #26563 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Guy last year at the Easter Carnival screamed his arse off when he broke his wrist in mid-air, court 3 Wayville late on Sunday night.

Reply #26570 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Big 6-3 power forward fell to the ground at the old Athol Park Court 2, and put his elbow through the floorboards.

Chipped teeth (all of them!) from trying to block an opponent's layup and clashing head between the backboard and the opponent's skull.

Reply #26595 | Report this post

Worst 3 injurys I ever saw full stop were ones all inflicted on the Sixers credibility. They were:

1) Hiring Charles Thomas
2) Letting him play
3) ...for 2 years

Reply #26788 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

I remember seeing Pero do a number on the ring at one end of Court 1 at Athol Park when he was in U/18's ... he broke it so well .. they banned him for 3 games and took two weeks to get a new board ! Funny 'stuff'!!

(for those of you a bit slow out there ... the ring was the injured party )

Reply #26792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 16 div 2 girl, semi final last summer season was fouled and broke her ankle at the dome with 2 min to go in the game. Team won but it cost them the grandfinal the following week. ironically the player that greatly contributed to the injury has since left her club and is playing with the injured players club.

Reply #26801 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I remember seeing a guy go up for a dunk in social ball at Port Adelaide and copping a foul, He turned in the air and came down horizontal and landed face first. I believe he broke both wrists and also opened up a nice cut on his face. Man did he scream and the whole stadium stopped!
While he had always been a smart arse on court you dont wish his injuries on your worst enemy.

Reply #26803 | Report this post

mum  
Years ago

Anonymous 26801

it was last year the winter season, she is back playing and is now in under 18s now but it did put her out most of the summer season.

Reply #26807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the worst was at adel hills when adam mussalino went up for an interception, came down on a players foot and snapped both his ankle and leg. It was bloody horrifying. Everyone was in a state of disbelieve. Watching it from where i was honestly made me feel so weak in the legs.
(But get this, he still managed to take one step and get an assist of to his teammate.)

Reply #26884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wednesday night social at Wayville...Court 3...

was a scratch match being played - 3 on 3 on a winters night.

Good old leaky Wayville roof, girl slipped over on puddly, broke her ankle, the bone coming out the skin.

Reply #26944 | Report this post

indy  
Years ago

a kid could not get a ring of his small finger so he just simply put a band-aid over it, so he wouldn't hurt anyone else.
At practice at the old Marden high school gym, he came in to do a backboard tap to emphasis his lay up. Unknown to everyone a screw was slightly out on the bottom of the backboard. The ring caught on the screw and with a meaty crunch/rip the skin was ripped of his finger just leaving bone. With the ring and meaty part stuck on the screw. He lost his little finger

Reply #43332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex Lota Dislocated his ear. It was half way down his face. It happened at Wayville. NO JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #48961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I remember seeing a guy go up for a dunk in social ball at Port Adelaide and copping a foul, He turned in the air and came down horizontal and landed face first. I believe he broke both wrists)

I may be wrong but i think i saw this incident. The guy wasnt going for a dunk. He was trying to stop a guy from dunking on a fastbreak. The dude with the ball saw him coming and basically stopped before the basket, watched the dude fly past and hit the ground in agony. The dude with the ball then just laid the ball up. Talk about adding insult to injury

Reply #49007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #49472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754