money money
Years ago

ABL Salary Cap

I think that the salary cap that has been imposed on the ABL this season is actually going to hurt the league rather than benefit it. when our teams go to nationals they will be facing teams that have a budget of whatever they can raise. Why shouldnt we be able to get guys like big Eric Bradley back to play? it raises the standard of the comp and thats what Australia needs to get better and to benefit our Juniors.

Topic #2348 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im pretty sure this is the last year the ABL will be part of the National ABL. The CEntrals comp will be by itself IE no national tournament.

Reply #26384 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The reason for the cap is that clubs just take junior subs and spend big on seniors instead of the juniors that supply all the money in the first place.

If a club spent $50K on its seniors (not the highest annual budget by the way!) and had 40 junior teams then each junior player in the club is personally funding senior programs to the tune of $150 per year. Is that fair? NO! That's almost half a junior players subs.

If the ABL programs were self funding there would be no cap.

Reply #26400 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

So what kind of $ would the 'best' players in the ABL make right now interstate as compared to here?

Reply #26401 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

I was getting free hair product for my stint at South Adelaide many moons ago. I think some players should look at the bigger picture, and assess the important things in life, like my hair!!!

No cash, just cold hard gel!!!

Reply #26431 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Maybe that is what Panther is getting paid?

Reply #26442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's "Monkey Bum" Panther to you.

Reply #26444 | Report this post

rumour has it  
Years ago

rumour has it a female player is getting around $8,000 to play for her abl club. I'm guessing that would be more than national league is paying her.

Reply #26456 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

What about the consequences of breaching the salary cap? Are there any?

BASA's auditor comes in and "looks" at the books, and if a club is "over the limit", what happens?

Reply #26462 | Report this post

about time  
Years ago

8000 you are dreaming what a load of garbage stupid rumour

Reply #26472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could be right some men have been paid this much before the salary cap came in. Dont know if they still are or not but if they were it wouldnt leave much room.

Reply #26473 | Report this post

lion tamer  
Years ago

I heard an ABL mens team last year fundraised near $8000 to help pay players so it doesnt all come from junior fees there are some other ways, sponsorship dollars.

Reply #26836 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754