Anonymous
Years ago

Round 18 starters... No reserves for you!

Can anyone explain why the brainstrust of the competition committee decided to not allow players who started round 18 abl (and didn't make finals) to play any of the remaining reserves games? Surely this isn't a positive for the league, what was the concept of this decision. I would be happy to ask them personally but have no idea who they are!
I feel for the players that have to miss out on these remaining 7 games. Shame on you BSA!

Topic #23494 | Report this topic

U23 league started and BSA didn't tell the clubs?

Know of two ABA Coaches at least who think its bullshit.

Reply #285087 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

it is pretty clear - to avoid stacking reserves.

however i feel some sort of by law along the lines of - "if you have played 6 or more" reserves games - you can play back in reserves post abl season.

Reply #285101 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

typical decision thats just wrong - immediate next round but now clubs have evenless numbers to rotate
pity couple guys who were starters but normally arent - now cant get a game
typical

Reply #285111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why there were a few sides that hadn't alternate starting fives in round 18. It's a ridiculous situation. At my club we have one player who has already qualified for finals but has to sit out for the last 5 rounds in order to qualify two other players who only needed to play 2 more games to qualify for finals.

Reply #285113 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Why don't they just allow players who can qualify for reserves finals to play. That avoids teams stacking their reserves and allows reglar reserves playrs who may have started in Round 18 for some reason to still play.

So if you have only played a couple of reserves games (As most starters would have) then you can't play. If you have played roughly 7 or 8 games or more then you can continue to play regardless of whether you started.

Reply #285118 | Report this post

Triton 45  
Years ago

Everyone knew the rules. Stop blaming BSA for your own incompetence. If you need extra players go to your Under 18s.

Reply #285123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah exatly, reckon the updated rules and by laws were on the BSA website before last summer season started, those clubs that put regular starters on the bench so they could qualify for reserves deserve what they get for being greedy

Reply #285134 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

There is a problem with the rule though. BSA seems to be applying the rule as it is written, so the starting five in the last ABL game of the season can't play reserves until after round 1 of the ABL next year. They don't run a Summer Div 1 competition any more, so a club's next Div 1 game is in 2011.

Me thinks this isn't what was intended by the rule.

Reply #285140 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754