charmaine
Years ago

final memo to tiger fans

my fellow tiger clan,
now that the emotion of a roller coaster year has started to die down, i would like to put out my thoughts on the entire season, but especially concerning the passionate posts on this website over the past 3 or 4 days.
firstly, trust me when i say that very few people have more black, marroon and gold in their hearts then me...so i have no hidden interests in what i type.
saturday night at mt. barker- i think this was, despite the result, the highlight of the season to date, not only for both clubs involved, but for the entire association...lets remember folks there was 850 people at the game, and 850 people that were obviously very passionate about the game of basketball. i have never seen this kind of number of people at an abl game that has not been a grand final. surely, despite what the very few misbehavours did, saturday night was an absolutely massive positive for the southern tigers, and for BASA.
the team- the boys have made some huge steps this year, and to be honest, has been the main reason why the club being abuzz at the moment. they worked hard in the offseason to get a quality player like pochintesta, and relied upon the improvement of most of the squad to back him up, and steer the club into their historic first finals series...clarke, gerlach, bowley, and far out ingles all had career best years...ben hodges was solid, without being outstanding, and hoban found some form late in the year. notable mention to braithwaite, who also contributed well at times with his increased time. tim hodges was hit by injury at the worng time, but still did some good things on his return.
i think there are so many things to be positive about for this club, and everyone on this site seems to be worrying about just a few people misbehaving...surely those people that drank maybe a touch too much know who they are, and will not behave in that manner again...fair enough get involved vocally, but swearing and abusing umpires and players is surely a no-no with so many children present.
i take off my hat to club administrators, fans, the players, and the club in general for what they have achieved for basketball in the south, and for BASA this year.....who can wait for next year??...lets turn all this passion into positive energy, and take the enxt step in 2005!!

Topic #235 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Great post charmaine, and well done for the positive comments.

I would like to point something out though. 850 people, great. Great night for ABA, obviously a lot of people there, not all just connected to the 2 clubs.

What are these people going to think of ABA, witnessing the behaviour of those people who couldnt go 3 hours without getting blotto? (And I mean from both clubs). Do you think they will be coming back? No. Do you think they will tell their friends what a great game it was? No, they will be telling thewm all about the boorish off court behaviour.

So whilst a great, entertaining game was played, it counts for nothing to promote the game when the chance was well and truly ruined by a minority few.

Reply #1684 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Charmaine, well said. 850 people at a (not quite regional) venue is an achievement in itself.

I will, like others watch with interest the progress of Southern next year.

Good luck to you and your Club

Reply #1685 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Yogee,

I think we have all heard enough about the off court antics.

Let's move on?

Reply #1689 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Charmaine.... You have brought tears to my eyes with your inspirational words.

Again backing up sammy, Lets bury the off court antics and focus on the spectical. I'm sure the people who came along understood that this was a final and both sides were pumped to win.

tears on my bag.

Reply #1697 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I had to put my lunch pail and hard hat down while reading that post... Charmaine, i applaud thee.

After all the negative comments people have made, i think you have summed it up well in saying that many guys have had career seasons [which to me means they are improving] and that spells EXCITEMENT for 2005.

My final point is for Yogee. You are a great poster, keep up the good work. However, I know that my lasting impression of the game was not the crowd behaviour. It was.

a) Jacob Holmes. Not only did this guy score 38 points and grab 20 rebounds, it was the way he played that made the biggest impression on me. His tenacity, particularly on the O glass, was something that i hope the little kids take away from that game. A true professional.

b) the fighting spirit of the Tigers through the second half. Down by >20 they faught and faught... well done boys.

c) the atmosphere. Sure, there were some ugly parts, but hey, thats sport.

Reply #1701 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Blue Collar, J bags, Charmaine, MIB, heartheroar, logan's (friend)JC and others...

How do we get on board to represent the same Club?

I may have to rethink my direction and join you boys and girls.

Love a chat and you guys have some passion.

PS Have you seen that varmint around and that duck?

Reply #1704 | Report this post

Melo  
Years ago

In a club as young as Southern, their is bound to be learning experiences. Let us hope that the passion is not curbed, and that the whole club can continue to grow. Not sure if I will join you guys as I feel just as pationately about my own club, but I applaud you enthusiams and look forward to our future contests.

Reply #1712 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Internal division, anyone?

Reply #1772 | Report this post

the mexican  
Years ago

as a new member of the tigers and new to the game of basketball, i have but one thing to say......

if the passion of the tigers supporters and the committment and determination of their players count for much, this club is going to be a force to be reconed with in the years to come.....my boy and i can't wait for the next season.

Reply #1779 | Report this post

Go the Tigers!
It's refreshing to see such a potential force emerging from the South that could, next season, potentially unsettle the league and challenge a few of the big name clubs that are usually considered a shoe-in for a finals berth. Good on the players for their never-say-die attitude and the supporters for being, well, supportive and never deserting their team in the face of adversity. It's good to see some devoted fans who get up and encourage their team in a good old-fashioned, passionate way when the majority of this overly sterile and politically correct world watches from behind a glass safety barrier. I love the smell of deep-heat in the morning!

Ole!

Reply #1865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was worried about the merge. But it has been the best thing for all involved! Can not wait to start the main season. The game against Eastern will be a standout for a long time to come. Unless we can bring that atmosphere on even more occasions..

GO SOUTHERN

Reply #13007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754