LC
Years ago

Australian Basketball Hall of Fame

Basketball Australia have announced that 14 people will be inducted into the Australian Basketball Hall of Fame at The Sofitel Melbourne on Collins on Wednesday 18 August 2010.

The list of inductees are:

Michael AhMatt (Player)
Sandy Blythe (Player)
Sandy Brondello (Player)
David Carmichael (Contributor)
Merv Emms (Coach)
Trish Fallon (Player)
Shelley Gorman (Player)
Ricky Grace (Player)
Elaine Hardwick (Player)
Greg Love (Technical Official)
Karin McRobert (Player)
Julie Nykiel (Player)
Michael Wrublewski
Bill Wyatt (Player)

Basketball Australia Link: http://linky.com.au/i9wui

The BA link has all the detials for each new hall of fame member.

Topic #23500 | Report this topic

Widg  
Years ago

Ricky Grace is the best import ever to play in the NBL

Reply #285201 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

While people have made Wrublewski something of a demi-god because of the incredibly tragic circumstances in which he passed away, his nomination seems to undermine the hall of fame.

From my understanding he was involved with an NBL franchise for about 12 years as an entrepreneur. In that time his team won nothing, their results could best be described as mediocre, had an extraordinary reputation for promotion and "glitz" and supposedly, he and his fellow owners made significant profits.

Does 12 years involvement justify a hall of fame position, especially considering his involvement was a business only proposition.

When he moved the team on in 2000, it was well known that it had started to lose money. That's not "hall of fame" material for me....thats more like "take the money and run" material. (that may be a bit harsh but when the going gets tough.....)

I don't doubt his passion and work ethic, and the Kings were a slick, brilliantly promoted vehicle for much of the 90's and I am happy to acknowledge what was achieved with the Flames was also fantastic, but Mike was an owner of a basketball business, and little more than that.

Would BA consider Peter Fiddes for a spot in the hall of fame? He's been involved much longer, has directly sponsored BA and the NBL, has been involved with numerous clubs, but really, has run a basketball business for 20 or whatever years - I doubt his name would even be mentioned (and neither it should).

(I actually don't know why BA have attributed the 1994 wc's to Mike - they ran it, reportedly at a huge loss, with support from Tassie and Adelaide.)

I am not bagging the guy, not in any way, but is this what we want our hall of fame to look like and reward?

Reply #285210 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You raise some excellent points as usual, but as you know, these decisions are generally made at a point further down the road looking back, rather than from an aerial view travelling back over the ground that was travelled, if you know what I mean.

This leads to seeing more of the high points and less of the hard yards travelled.

Reply #285224 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Well done Julie. Used to be in love watching you play.

Reply #285313 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Do you think coaches like Jim Madigan and Terry Aston or Mick Flynn will get a gig they all did a tower of work in the early days and coached some of the new hall of famers

Reply #285342 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754