Dissapointed
Years ago

WINDSOR WHAT A JOKE GARDENS

Who else is dissapointed with playing district basketball at Windsor Gardens. Not a full size court, no nets on the rings, slippery dusty surface, spent most of the game chasing the ball off the stage. Surely in Adelaide somewhere there was a better option than this mickey mouse court. How embarrassing that our so called "higher" level of basketball is played on this court. I want my $9 back!

Topic #23522 | Report this topic

Disappointed  
Years ago

The game was only worth 50c.

Reply #285307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they seriously scheduling games in that gym.
What the!

Reply #285316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

terrible, surely there is a better alternative somewhere? There have to be better High School gyms around available as a temporary solution. St Peters college have great courts if available.

Reply #285317 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

what is the long term prognosis for court 2 at hillcrest ?

Reply #285318 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The High School gym?

That is terrible.

Reply #285338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Windsor Gardens was barely an acceptable training venue. What a joke!! STARplex is 20 mins away why not just go out there? Or Campbelltown Leisure CEntre etc.

Reply #285339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oracle, A better question is what is the longer term prognosis of the Rockets without a second court to generate canteen revenue. I hope for their sake potential new players at their trials are not turned off by their ever deteriorating facilties

Reply #285341 | Report this post

new courts  
Years ago

you cant blame the rockets for the courts at hillcrest it is not owned by them they are only teants maybe people should lobby the local goverment or council, It ok for people to say look at pass or wayville but rember they are not owned by sturt or eagles they are just lucky the thier local area had new places built, In the real world we would all love new courts BUT this will not happen for years,Port adelaide council talked about a new rec center about 4 years ago maybe in another 15 years we might see one ( dont count on it ) so in all we have to put up with what we have got, and rember the surface is the same for both teams so there is no advantage for anyone.....

Reply #285350 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps a another fire is needed. Isnt that one of the reasons Pasadena came into existance with the old Colonel Light Gardens Stadium burning down.

Reply #285352 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

"STARplex is 20 mins away why not just go out there"

must be helicopter joy flights from the car park.

Reply #285356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oracle, you need to upgrade the 1970s VW you are driving I know they keep going and going but they also keep slowing and slowing.

Reply #285359 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

got my VW from my nanna

http://linky.com.au/haslf

Reply #285360 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

STARplex is 20 mins away why not just go out there? Or Campbelltown Leisure Centre etc.
I'd assume that these places and other suitable courts in the region (e.g. Golden Grove Rec Centre, Ingle Farm Rec Centre, etc) are booked out already for social comps or some other money-making activity.

Reply #285361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mantis district basketball games make a packet!

Reply #285363 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Further to my previous comment: Not that this is an excuse for BSA providing a sub-standard venue. A bit of due diligence in ensuring the venue they were hiring was up to standard wouldn't have gone astray, even if they just brought their own broom and towel to clean the court, and forked out the $12 for a pair of nets themselves.

Reply #285364 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Anon, my point is that these venues are already booked, which is why these games haven't been moved there.

Reply #285365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The court may be passable for U12's/U14's but for U20's and seniors it is just dangerous watching these people trying to avoid the stage at the end of the court.

Reply #285369 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I'd never been there before. It looks like a great training facility with six rings. Pity the training rings are almost over the playing court. The floor was slippery, but cleaner than St Clair which looks like the floor hasn't been swept since Woodville moved to the Dome.

At both these venues, a floor broom would be nice so teams could choose to sweep the floor themselves before the game.

I think Windsor Gardens was selected so that people would prefer to return to Hillcrest when it dries out. Is the problem at Hillcrest a preview of what could happen at Wayville if it doesn't get some more tlc?

Reply #285373 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

there not useing hillcrest because of the water ,its because the floor boards are to thin, and they are deemed to be unsafe just like crt 4 was at m/vale

Reply #285374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is the case will it is unlikely to be a quick fix, or a cheap fix!!

Reply #285384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all rec centres are busy with Netball and social Basketball comps ect.

Most High School gyms are available for booking, with a few High Schools in the area with a lot better courts than WGs. St Peters has 2 great courts, Modbury High has a decent 2 court gym. There has to be a better place available for hire than Windsor Gardens.

Reply #285387 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

We have been told at my club that court two will be out of action for a month.

However rumor has it that North has been given two years notice to find a new facility away from hillcrest. Apparently the land has been sold off and it will be required at the end of the NABC lease. Not sure if there is any truth in the rumor however it would explain the councils reluctance to improve the facilities.

Reply #285388 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Also, St. Peters would be considered to far away from north Adelaide, and Modbury is used as a training facility for North and Newton Jags netball club so not sure if they will be able to use that. How about Mawson Lakes, also a decent two court gym?

Reply #285390 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

stadium will be heritage listed ?

Reply #285393 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Time for new stadiums...

Clubs need to lobby everyone; from local MP's, local councils, BSA, and apply for every possible grant available. Even then, to get the support and funds required for a new multi-court stadium, it can take at least 2 years if not up to 8 years! I was involved in one such project in Melbourne and it took us 5 years of doing just that to get our courts built. Time, effort and people resources are required. Unless the club and its members put the work in, no new stadiums will be built.

With a federal election on the droostep, never has there been a better time for a club to commence lobbying the local MP...

Reply #285394 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

A facebook site has been created at Sacommunity Sportsstadiums so you can add your voice to the need for more community sports facilities in SA. We are woefully disadvantaged. This site links to a petition at Campbelltown City Council for an upgrade to the Campbelltown Leisure Centre, which the Liberals have promised to fund but which Labor, including Sports Minister Kate Ellis in Adelaide, is refusing to fund.
If you want something done, help do it!

Reply #285406 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

St Pauls College has a good gym (at least it was when I left the school 8 years ago) and isn't far from Hillcrest. Might be worth enquiring there.

Reply #285418 | Report this post

LC is spot-on.
Unless the community generally, including the basketball community, lobby for support, nothing will happen.

Sacommunity Sportsstadiums is supporting the CLC redevelopment, which has the financial support of StateSwim, SquashSA, Campbelltown Council, State Labor, State Liberal and Federal Liberal. It just needs the support of Federal Labor.

North Adelaide's best hope appears to be a similar proposal from the local council (see Link Here). This will only happen if clubs and individuals support these types of proposals, and make their voice heard to all levels of government (email and visit them).

It is not about politics -it is about priorities. For example, the latest cost blow-out for the Adelaide Oval ($85M -see Link Here) would easily pay for a half-dozen of these community-based multi-sport facilities.

We can either be part of the first South Australian generation to leave to their kids sporting facilities, including basketball, which are worse than we inherited, or we can make an effort to get involved and do something about it.

Reply #285431 | Report this post

Disappointed  
Years ago

Whatever the reason may be or not be, I still have a flippen game scheduled there again next week and am pretty pissed about it.

By the way don't worry, North still managed to have a canteen on the entry table, maybe they will have sold enough pkts of chips to buy a net this week. Thinking of taking my own!!!

Reply #285480 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Id rather play outdoors in the rain !

Reply #285580 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754