air jordan
Years ago

Shortage of Referee's in jnrs

So with the current shortage of referee's in jnrs should we not start inforcing the by-law that states that if there are not enough referere's to cover the jnr games for that night then the clubs should supply a referee??

Topic #23537 | Report this topic

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

By the end of the year referees will pullout and then clubs will have to supply a referee maybe perhaps a parent can do this,afterall its the abuse from coaches and PARENTS who let those young referees not wanting to come back.BASA should do an advertisement similiar to AFL give referees a fair go.

Reply #285524 | Report this post

Europa 16  
Years ago

Fine so long as BSA are willingto refund money. That bye law was written when the clubs actually owned BASA and it was important for it to not go broke. Now the clubs would just say, get stuffed, why are we paying $100 per game if you guys aren't supplying a ref. Sure give us half our match fee back and we will ref ourselves.

Reply #285525 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

Saturday morning UIC's have had problems all year with referee numbers.
With stadia being under utilized - BasketballSA rostering - referees are not interested in travelling to ref only one or two games. Also this rostering (along with the movement of U12 & 14 Div 2 competitions ti Friday nights)has cut off the development path for green shirts - from miniball to juniors on Saturdays.
The under utilization of stadia on Friday nights has also not assisted - Why Pas & Way - the two central venues regularly have only 2 courts running, or only 3 game on courts is a common and vexed conversation, which no one has supplied an answer to.

Reply #285527 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

I don't think the clubs ever owned BASA. BSA and BASA exist(ed) to provide the framework for basketball competitions is SA. Until take some responsibility for the provision of referees there probably will always be a shortage. At least 90% of the current experiences CABL officials came up through the clubs participating in the BASA competitions. Despite the efforts of many, while we continue to have referee bashing condoned, rookies will continue to walk away. Referee bashing is not the only reason for them leaving, their life values change and officiating is no longer on their priorities.

Reply #285528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a coach interested in developing the game I virtualyl never get stuck into umpures but I need to often remind myself to show refs respect by thanking them and shaking their hands after the game. I think the players are starting to do it at the higher levels. I think a few simple reminders by BSA for coaches to do this would help with a young ref understanding their importance to the game.

I really hope all the coaches and players out there give the refs the respect they deserve. At the junior level, despite some the statements here I think reffing is pretty good compared to past years.

Reply #285534 | Report this post

Dione 41  
Years ago

Yes BASA had member clubs as its shareholders and they were ultimately responsible for the debt. Only be agreeing to the State governemtn bailout which included the clubs losing the stadiums did they avoid a total collapse of the sport which was not in the governments best interest.

So in all BSA would have the clubs up and leave the competition and send them broke if they foaled to deliver umpires. Then the clubs would be able to move back in and retake the stadium licenses.

Reply #285536 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

DO umpires scream when players miss a lay up , a foul shot or turn the ball over?

WHy do we yell and scream when they make a bad call?

If BSA make a $150 from a game , they need to put more than $22 ( 2 x $11) into the major part of it.

THey also need to gety as many games as they can back into Wayville and Pasadena, where umpires want to be on Friday night's

Umpiring has gone backwards rapily and the powers at BSA have done nothing to fix it .

Come to think of it , what have they done in the past three years??

Reply #285538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a simple problem! A small, small sport like basketball and BSA with such big, huge and very big plans to play every friggin' day of the week 'cept its way to feckin much for everyone!

Reply #285542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dione 41 you're half right.

The 10 members clubs were shareholders of BASA which included the 36ers, Lightning and the Dome.

In order for Foley to get some public money back from the tiny loan with huge interest that the then Bannon Labor government gave BASA to build the Dome, the government took back BASA's assets to sell. They were the 36ers, Lightning and the Dome. (This was to build a venue that the State Government needed built in order to bid for the Commonwealth Games. Also was built for the use of netball as well as basketball. Netball then got given a venue of its own.)

The debt never got paid and remained around $18m at the time Foley stepped in. That's it. For a venue that BASA never had the means to pay for and certainly didn't when the government owned and managed Adelaide Entertainment Centre started losing money. So the Government changed the rules and an extreme restriction of trade never before or again implemented on a legal business was placed on the Dome and in return the Government gave BASA $250k a year. (Which as with every cent of income BASA made went to pay for 36ers championship attempts.)

The only thing the member clubs gave up was control of BASA. A new body BSA was formed and in Wayne Jackson's stupidity management of BSA was shared between the clubs (then known as Basketball Adelaide), SA Country, SA Church and what Jackson called 'the independents'.

What Jackson failed to allow for was the fact none of the parties can or want to work with each other. Apart from SA Church and SA Country doing everything they can to destroy Basketball Adelaide's power.

At no point were the local stadiums involved.
Wayville is jointly owed by local Council/Royal Showgrounds.
Pasadena by local council and DECS
Morphett Vale by local council
Marion by local council
Port Adelaide by local council
Hillcrest by local council
MARS by private enterprise
Starplex by Trinity College

The clubs have never owned or managed any of the BASA/BSA stadiums. BASA/BSA has never owned these stadiums. They've always been council owned or partly owed and leased to BASA/BSA.

There is not a single club in Adelaide which is capable of running a stadium and certainly not owning one. None of the clubs have been able to run a Domestic Competition despite many of them being funded/supported by BSA, how are they going to be able to manage an entire venue and everything that comes with it, without BSA?

In my opinion #542 has highlighted one of the problems. SA basketball simply does not have the resources be it stadiums, coaches or referees for the amount of games being played.

SA basketball has dropped in standard from the very top 36ers/Lightning to ABL/ABA/State League through to Juniors, Social and school basketball.

The sport was cool in the early 90s. Attracting bigger numbers and better talent. Now basketball in SA is a minor sport well behind AFL, Netball and Soccer. Naturally the quality is going to drop with it. As is the numbers and quality of support staff (admin, coaches & referees).

The size of the drop could have been avoided through better management but that time has come and gone. Victoria managed to do it because it had a very grassroots focused peak body which was well managed and had a business plan for the growth of the sport that worked and was financially sound. Add to that a State Government and local councils which funded major venue building and upgrades. But NBL in Victoria has gone from 4 teams to 1 and that team's support is extremely limited. Even in Victoria they've struggled with the progression, backwards.

As far as refereeing goes I think its simply unfair to abuse a young referee who is referee above the level he/she should. It's not that referees fault, its the system we have in SA which is to blame. Its the lack of resources committed to refereeing that's to blame. Its the fact most people in basketball see referees as the enemy instead of the other team as the enemy that is to blame. The culture of basketball in this state, especially district is pretty poor in my opinion.

We're not alone in referee abuse. It happens in many sports across many states. But when it comes to basketball we are alone in how we treat officials. We are alone in our arrogance that we are right and they are wrong and I have the right to tell them. We are alone in how bad refereeing numbers are and how that is affecting the game we all love.

But yelling at those that are there isn't the solution.

The million dollar question is, what is?

Reply #285545 | Report this post

phidap  
Years ago

Having read this thread and the previous one about referees in SA, I'm actually quite dumb founded and surprised at many of the comments and indeed the entire situation.

The reason for my dismay is that when I was referring back it the late 90's, (BASA seniors and juniors) the abuse and disrespect of refs was getting out of hand then too, and steps were being made to keep a lid on it by way of codes of conduct within the clubs etc. At the junior level, parent and supporter behaviour was the coaches responsibilty, in that they could wear a tech if their "supporters" were abusive. Does this policy still apply ? It would seem not.

It would seem that those attempted measures failed miserably and I can understand the frustrations from both sides. Now 12 years since I retired from referring, the situation has grown out of control it would seem. Such a shame for the sport and its development.

I don't know what the answer is but it has to be fixed from both sides of the referring equation.

Reply #285548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ you say that Pas is central (to what) try getting there if you live in the north! St clair,port,dome rockets and even starplex are easyier to get too than pas

Reply #285551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who wants to be constantly abused byfat lazy parents who either bag the coach or the referees from the stands week in week out, why would anyone want to spend their Saturday morning witnessing that. No wonder Pasadena struggles for refs and the Sturt u10 boys coach resigned.

Reply #285675 | Report this post

Techfoul17  
Years ago

Theres a guy at Pasadena on a Saturday morning who referees solo for 3 games straight every week, even then parents still have a go at him for not seeing everything! like come on! give the guy a break, hes doing both teams a favour, if he wasnt there then no game!

Reply #285811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Techfoul17 there are almost no games on a saturday morning anymore.

If a referee is doing three games solo then the court Supervisor needs to be sacked.

Reply #285817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754