Isaac
Years ago

NBL MVP Final 7 named

In alphabetical order, the top votegetters for the 2005 MVP award are Mark Bradtke (Melbourne), Chris Burgess (Cairns), Willie Farley (Adelaide), Darnell Mee (Wollongong), Dusty Rychart (Adelaide), Glen Saville (Wollongong) and Brian Wethers (Hunter).

No Maher, no Smith(!). Wethers and Burgess have little competition from their own team and would have to be a chance. Dusty would have to be the best chance from the Sixers.

Wethers is my bet.

Topic #2354 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is time the MVP is awarded like the football, geting the coachs to award their best player isn't right

Reply #26445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL's media man on OzHoops:

Just a couple of points to note on the voting system for MVP:

- The award is not determined by the league office, but rather by a vote of both team's head coaches after each match during the season. Each coach has 10 votes to give, with a maximum of five for any one player and they can vote for players on either team.
- The award does not take in the Finals, merely the regular season.
- Players that tend to win the award are generally those that have been very consistent throughout the season and therefore pick up votes nearly every round.

Changing my bet to Rychart.

Reply #26447 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Isaac spot on .. how many weeks did Dusty get 20 and 10+ ... Heaps !!

Fingers crossed ..

He wont be here to collect it though will he ?

Reply #26459 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Mee would have to rank at least top 2 wouldn't he?

Reply #26476 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the system is fundamentally flawed if coaches are voting for any player on the court. If half a player's potential votes are coming from the same man (his coach) then that coach has a massive bearing on the overall result. For instance, a case could be made that both Farley and Rychart would poll similarly from opposing coaches, but if Phil prefers Rychart for whatever reason and consistantly gives him votes ahead of Willie then one man (Phil) could effectively decide the result.

Also each coach's system of allocation may differ. For instance if Rillie has an absolute blinder but Newly and Rose also play well he may go 3,2,2 with 3 for the opposition, while Phil may have gone 5,1,1 if Dusty, WIllie and Brett had an equivalent game. When this is applied over the entire regular season it's obvious how much impact one coach can have.

I think a better system would be if coaches were allocated 5 points to distribute to the opposing team and an impartial observer (ref, media, whoever) allocated 10 points to players from any team. This way the system cannot be influenced so heavily by an individual, yet the coaches still have an impact on the decision.

I know there's no perfect system, but I think this one is terribly flawed. But that said, I think it may just work for Dusty as he's the type of no nonsense player coach's notice and want to recognise. If Wethers gets 30 an opposition coach may just see him as selfish and only give him a handful of votes, but if Dusty gets 30 you know coaches from both sides will respect that.

Reply #26609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754