Curtley
Years ago

Will LeBron's number be retired by the Cavs?

After reading my favourite website for the latest nba updates basketbawful.com, it got me thinking as to whether Lebron's 23 will ever hang in the rafters and whether he'll ever get a standing ovation again in Cleveland (not including if he fouls out or gets a double tech).

Also does anyone think he knew how much he was gonna be despised by the media for jumping ship to the Heat?

My money's on him returning to Cleveland once his contract is up.

Topic #23547 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

I think you got a better chance at seeing his number retired on the rafters at heat.

Reply #285634 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Given the comments by the Cav's owner and the fact that fans were burning his singlet in the streets it would be highly unlikely that his number would be retired IMHO.

Reply #285635 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I feel an LC post could be coming soon...

Reply #285639 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

We had this a few weeks ago..interesting topic.

http://linky.com.au/otpl5

Reply #285640 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I think it will be raised to the rafters at some stage...

Probably after Cleveland beat Miami in a Conference Final and the jersey is hoisted ablaze while a Pagan sacrificial dance happens on the court below.

Reply #285644 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I love Lebron

Yo mama

Reply #285655 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I still dunno why he didn't just sign and trade so the cavs got something (significant) for him.

Reply #285656 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Really, in all seriousness of the word, what has LeBron done to deserve his number being retired? 2 NBA MVPs, and a trip to the NBA Finals.

When it comes down to the crunch, the big games, when the lights are down and the spotlight's fully lit up, he has failed.

To retire a number that means that the player in question must be the best player to have ever represented that team in that number, and that no player could ever possibly come close to what the retired number player achieved. I'm sorry, but LeBron didn't do enough to get his jersey retired imo. Had he got a ring or two with the Cavs, completely different story. But let's face it, come playoff time comes LeChoke time :))

Reply #285666 | Report this post

surmdog  
Years ago

lebrons takin cleveland further than any other player thats played for the franchise does that mean they shouldnt retire any players that have played for the Cavs.
Choking in the playoffs like the 48pts he dropped in detroit in the 07 east finals.
Maybe the buzzer beating Game winner in game 2 of the east finals vs Orlando in 09.
2 M.V.Ps and a trip to the NBA Finals thats 1 finals trip away from the same as Malone did for Utah maybe his Number shouldnt be retired for the Jazz.

Reply #285667 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Surmdog, Stockton was a lifer with the Jazz and Malone only ditched his last year after more than a decade with them as well.

Both put through the hard yards with their team, including having to build a contender team for nearly 7 years before they had a chance to achieve anything.

Individual accolades may get you a Hall of Fame place in the NBA; but not a retiring of your jersey.

Reply #285668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James number should be retired. Without question.

Kevin Garnett 1 MVP, All-Star, 1 West Finals and his number will be retired at the Wolves

James: Holds almost every record at the Cavaliers. The face of the franchise and the sport since he entered the league.

Back to back reigning MVP - 6 time All-Star - Scoring Champion - Averaged 20, 5, 5 as a rookie - All-NBA 1st team - All-NBA 1st team defence...

Not only the awards but he was and still is the best player in the league. His number will be retired one day, maybe once the Cavaliers get over themselves

Reply #285683 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Also, have a look at the list of players jerseys that have been retired by the Cavs. Looking at the list, it is hard to put up a reason why James' number should not be retired.

Reply #285692 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon, you've got the "technically correct" answer to retiring his jersey at the Cavs. The accolades he has will get him into the NBA Hall of Fame and perhaps the FIBA Basketball HoF but doesn't warrant a club retiring a jersey.

He essentially gave the finger to the Cavs (in not such a direct action) and left to win a title. Depending on what he does this season, that may change. If he does a "Shane Heal" during an away game in Cleveland and flips off the fans, he will screw himself over.

Good point out on the Club records.

Reply #285732 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The post listed as "LC" was an imposter - only the real LC comes with the real LC 'hoops head' avatar!!!

Let's be serious though, LeBron is a superstar of the NBA right now and has been in his time in Cleveland. He put the Cav's on the world basketball map, took them to the NBA finals and helped put the images "Craig Ehlo" behind them, however...

LeBron never delivered them a championship, and instead of helping build a championship winning team he has jumped ship (not that I hold that against him). But for heaven's sake the guy announced he is leaving on US national TV and basically rubbed it into the Cav's fans, franchise and owner's face. He is arguably the best ever Cav's player in their history. But will he get his number retired based on what has happened...I think not, and dfefinitely not under the leadership of the current Cav's owner.

Maybe when all the water runs under the bridge, and time passes by (and all that stuff), then perhaps maybe he will be considered. But right now there is no chance it hell it is going to happen.

Reply #285736 | Report this post

surmdog  
Years ago

Curtley lebron did sign and trade the cavs got draft picks for him but i reckon he might of wanted that extra year on his contract.
big M. i lived through the stockten/malone era i'm well in tune of there commitment to the franchise.
i just think that how can you not retire the best player that has ever played for your team in there history inb the league.
if the cavs didnt get the number 1 pick in 03 they never would of even felt the impact of the king.

Reply #285753 | Report this post

Peter Pan  
Years ago

Not a chance they will retire hi number

Reply #286163 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754