interested
Years ago

Coaching at 2 clubs

I noticed one of the North ABA assistants also coaches juniors at West? Is this a common practice or a rare situation? Obviously it's allowed but should it happen?

Topic #23554 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can think of at least instances where this occurs. I don't see anything wrong with this as long as both parties are aware of it. It is hard enough getting good coaches anyway.

Reply #285701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the coach you talk about has been a west a very long time and its good hes still around,But like most people he would like to move up the ladder in coaching and saw a chance at north so he took it, He could of droped he west team but to his credit he stayed, as long as he dont poach players from one club to another all is fine ..............

Reply #285708 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Also Sturt coach has been ass. coach and coached at another club. Does it really matter if they love their basketball?

Reply #285725 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I know plenty of peolpe who are involed at multiple clubs

I am involved in 2 clubs as well

Reply #285726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally would not accept this at my club. Club loyalty and culture is a value we look for. All good for a person to leave a club but to have your foot in both camps leads me to question where you head is at in respect to developing your club, rahter than just developing yourself.

Reply #285727 | Report this post

uninterested  
Years ago

funny, how this is raised now, as coaching appointments for next season are being finalised, when said coach has been coaching at both clubs all season. would be 'interested' to know if 'interested' is one disgruntled parent?

Reply #285763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach in question used to work with me, we would share hours of conversation about coaching and I can assure you that there is no conflict there. Don't hop on here and bag someone if you don't understand their motivation, committment or loyalties. I would send my kids to be coached by the coach any day of the week.

Reply #285767 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I hope "Interested" didn't miss out on a job to 'said coach' and is trying to stir up trouble.
The guy just loves basketball and is mature enough to handle both roles responsibly and without conflict.

Reply #285769 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

I am not associated with either of the clubs I just saw the guy coaching a West U12s Girls game. It was the first time I'd ever thought of someone coaching at 2 clubs before. Was interested if this was common that is all.

Reply #285771 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

It would be very interesting if he poached players from one team he coaches to the other?LOL

Reply #285773 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I think you mean he was coaching U10 Girls.
I don't think that many of these girls are really up to playing in the ABA mens comp just yet, so all should be good.

Reply #285774 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

exactly, pointing out the lack of conflict between both roles, both clubs are extremely lucky to have secured the services of an excellent coach

Reply #285779 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

No it was definately an U12 game as it was a friday night. He isn't that teams normal coach as a young girl usually coaches them. Definately no conflicts from ABA men to U10 girls. Good on him for giving up his time to two clubs.

Reply #285788 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

I dont think anyone should have an issue with someone helping out another club especially with coaching. If they have the time to help out the kids then why not, the players and the sport will benefit from this.
There are a few people around that are involved in more than one club, I cant see there is a problem with that, arent we all here for the same reason to develop the players and improve the sport.

Reply #285800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a bloke ... J.S did it at abl level in 2001

Reply #286046 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

re: Coaching at 2 clubs
The coach in question used to work with me, we would share hours of conversation about coaching and I can assure you that there is no conflict there. Don't hop on here and bag someone if you don't understand their motivation, committment or loyalties. I would send my kids to be coached by the coach any day of the week

He had to look elsewhere to coach seniors due to the fact peolpe at the first club think he is a goose and wont get a job coaching seniors at the club. This he has proved whist being an Assistant for the other club and trash talking to his junior club, the exact reason the first club think he is a tool!!

Reply #286358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is such a tool why has he been given a 16 1s job next year? If he is such a goose why didn't West cut him loose? I know the bloke and he absolutely loves West Adelaide so as for him trashing West in a serious manner I highly doubt that!

Reply #286362 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

I am not a SA person, so I can't comment on this coach personally.

On the topic of coaching at 2 clubs, I think if you are upfront and honest when applying for the second gig that you are involved with another association then its up to the potential club to decide. To me it would depend on where you were going with your club/association and how a situation like this would fit with that goal.

Sometimes a coach may want to coach at a higher level but that level isn't available (for whatever reason) at their current club. They may be able to commit time wise (you'd have to assume there would be some extra travel with the new team) to coaching one team at the new association but not both, or they may not want to leave their current association.

Reply #286411 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Remember that its just a game not life and death, so if i person wants to coach at a higher level at a club that will give them a go then let them be, and good on them. SHARE THE LOVE. LOL

Reply #286421 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

The person in mention would love to coach at the highest level for the club which he has played and coached at for many years, but the opportunities have not been there.
Don't forget the the current Womens coach was 2009 Coach of the year, while the current mens coach is 2010 Mens coach of the year.
Who knows whay is down the track?

Reply #286445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754