clarky
Years ago

4-Way deal gets CP3 some help

The New Orleans Hornets, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets & Indiana Pacers have completed a 5-Player trade which looks good for pretty much everyone involved.

Trevor Ariza was sent to the New Orleans Hornets and Darren Collison to the Indiana Pacers in a four-team, five-player trade Wednesday.

In the trade, the Houston Rockets sent Ariza to the Hornets, who in turn sent Collison and James Posey to the Pacers.

The Pacers sent Troy Murphy to the New Jersey Nets. And the Nets sent Courtney Lee to the Rockets.

ESPN.com Article HERE

Thoughts on this trade?

Topic #23567 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe good for patrick mills could land in New Orleans who desperately need a back up pg and C (Nate Jawai lol he has at leats 1% chance). Houston Probably came out worst. Courtney Lee is a good player but is not gonna be able to showcase his skills behind kevin martin and he is to small to play the 3. Troy Murphy could possibly get the 6th man award. Obviously we know wat Collison can do when he starts averaging 18 and 9 and incredibly got 18 asts in one game as a rookie and recorded a triple double and with granger he could perform successfully again showing his rookie year was no fluke. Pacers look to small though, maybe Granger or Dantay Jones at 4 and they haven't signed magnum rolle yet (which is hard to believe after his good summerleague and size)

Reply #285857 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Pacers win this trade. Bad trade by the Hornets. Still can't really work out why they did it.

Reply #285858 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Hornets should have traded Paul ( injury freak ) and built around collison , instead they get huge contract of ariza for 4 years , who underperformed last season ,

Winners in orderr : pacers , nets , hornets, rockets

Reply #285873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer well to tell the truth i would rather have Collison then Paul on my team and trade Paul and Okafor and you could get some awesome players. Obviously NOH need help in the paint and i think Okafor is a PF anyway. West is to small at 6'9 taking on guys like Nowitzki, Aldrige, Jefferson and Gasol. I would probably ship West out too.

West and Future 1st Round Lottery and 2012 second round draft pick to Blazers possibly get back L.Aldridge, R.Fernandez and Cunnigham. Trade Okafor, C.Paul and 2011 2nd round pick to nuggets for Nene, Birdman and Billups. No way would denver reject that.

Now you have a team that looks like this.
Nene/Birdman/Songaila
Aldridge/Brackins/Cunningham
Peja/Posey/Pondexter
Thornton/Fernandez/Bellinelli
Collison/Billups

Bit not as easier as it looks though.

Reply #285877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dahntay Jones to play Power forward? They have Tyler Hansbrough. Pacer will look for another trade any takers for TJ Ford and Mike Dunleavy? unlikely...

Reply #285879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler aint ready to start and would be more of a weapon off the bench and they are not going to beat miami so who cares.

Reply #285881 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

A couple of thoughts:

I'd say Murphy will start in NJ. Favors is too raw to start but will be in the rotation. Nets look at least 20 wins better this year already.

Awesome deal for Pacers. They will struggle for size but could turn Ford/Dunleavy into good young guys or picks. They are likely to have an early draft pick next year and will have heaps of cap space so 2011 and beyond looks good.

Rockets - salary dump (plus I think they realise that they got caught up in the Trevor Ariza hype of the 09 Finals - he really isn't anything more than an athletic role player)

Hornets - I can totally see why the new management made this move - two birds and one stone. They got their stingy owner some savings in the short term and they make good on their pomise to Paul to upgrade. The question is was it enough? I doubt it. I wonder if Paul was asked about Ariza? As I said above he is an athletic role player at best but an upgrade on what they did have. Surely they could have got more for Collison though?

I wonder if the Hornets will go down the same path as Cleveland - minor upgrades in a bid to keep their franchise player but without ever getting the co-star they need?

Reply #285884 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Is Ariza really an upgrade on the overall squad. I personally don't think he's starter material. He's a great 6th or 7th man, but starter.... meh....

I mean, they traded almost the perfect backup PG (at this time of Collisons career) for an average, but athletic SF.

The financial reasons are bizarre. They traded Posey's contract, but they fill it with Ariza’s, which is similar in value but two years longer.

The Hornets have zero depth at point guard. CP3 gets injured like last year, and with the lack of depth in the squad, they are high lottery bound. CP3 is bolting come 2012 regardless of what the FO do.

This is a fail for the Hornets. They gave up two rotation players which can fill in as starters for one rotation player who can fill in as a starter and sacrificed their depth in doing it....

Mind you, George Shinn is a freaking w@nker anyway so I hope he sh*ts down his own throat and chokes on a turd....

Reply #285890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ariza is a gun 2nd or 3rd option not a good first option tho will def do alright at new orleans as a third option behind paul and west... means they now have someone who can compete on wing players like lebron but when they play miami wat do they do? he can only guard lebron or wade not both.

Reply #285899 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

The pacers added a good PG prospect but have gutted their front court (a PF rotation of Tyler Hansborough & Josh McRoberts is absolutely awful!)It will also be interesting to see how Collison fairs in a system that isn't built around the PG. But in saying that, Murphy wasn't part of the future so it's definately worth the gamble.

NO get a SF who got hyped by being on a good Lakers team, the guy can't dribble and is an overrated defender. He will make some highlight plays on the end of Chris Paul passes but past that the guy is a low level starter. Surely they could have got more for a promising talent like Collison.

Houston get Lee who is a reasonable defender, but this is more so about freeing PT for Budinger who within a year will be better than Ariza. This also brings Battier back into the starters spot. Ariza is also a troublemaker with word that Ariza and Brooks didn't get along plus he was constantly causing trouble in games last year and abusing teammates with every chance he got. They saved a HUGE amount of salary for a player who is probably 80% as good as ariza who actually fits into their rotation. Finally they got a 6mil TPE so now they will have the best package of expirings/picks/prospects to offer for a superstar should that opportunity arise.

The Nets were overcrowded on the wing so it's an easy trade for them. You could do alot worse than Troy Murphy for a 1 year rental. It also gives Derrick Favours the chance to play behind a Vet til he is ready to start.

The winners for mine are Indiana & Houston,the nets break even & NO lose big time.

Reply #285913 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

No Deal,

Pacers are rebuilding - front court depth does not matter this season. They will have plenty of cash and a high draft pick to address that problem at the end of the season. This season is now about getting some experience into the young guys - they have a lot of "potential" on their roster all locked in for a few years and at bargain prices.

Reply #285918 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Oh i totally agree that they are rebuilding, I just can't comprehend a world where a team would be happy with that PF rotation. In saying that, I dont think they are done making deals. I think they will add another big before the season starts.

Reply #285921 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754