36ers
Years ago

Boomers WC Team announced

NBA stars David Andersen and Patrick Mills have been named by Basketball Australia in the 12-man Golden Star Australian Boomers team for the 2010 FIBA World Championships, which will be held in Turkey from 28 August to 12 September.

Andersen, who was recently traded to the NBA's Toronto Raptors, and Mills of the Portland Trail Blazers will be joined in the side by 2009-10 All-Euroleague First Team selection Aleks Maric.

Also selected for the world titles are European-based Australians Joe Ingles, Brad Newley, Matthew Nielsen, David Barlow, Mark Worthington, Aron Baynes, Steven Markovic and local NBL players Adam Gibson (Gold Coast Blaze) and Damian Martin (Perth Wildcats).

This will be the second consecutive World Championship team selection for Andersen, Worthington, Ingles, Newley and Barlow, all of whom were in the 2006 Australian side in Japan. Seven players will be making their senior World Championship debuts in Turkey (Mills, Baynes, Gibson, Markovic, Maric, Martin and Nielsen).

Boomers head coach Brett Brown said the selection process had been difficult but that he was happy with the make-up of the team and felt it gave Australia the best possible chance of success in Turkey.

"I’m content with the few years of due diligence everyone has put in to ultimately arrive at a group of 12 players that will represent Australia at the World Championships in Turkey," Brown said. “I believe that we have a well balanced team, with the right people put into the right positions, and most importantly a group that personifies 'team’”.

The Boomers will wrap up their seven-day Melbourne training camp this afternoon. The players will then have a few days at home before reassembling In Melbourne for their official World Championship farewell at the 2010 Australian Basketball Hall of Fame Dinner at The Sofitel Melbourne on Collins on Wednesday 18 August.

The Boomers will depart Melbourne for Europe on the evening of Thursday 19 August, and will play their final pre-World Championship tournament in Lyon, France from 22 - 24 August before travelling to Turkey.

Australia has been drawn in Group A for the 2010 FIBA World Championships and will open their quest for gold with a clash against Jordan on 28 August. They then face Argentina (29 August), Germany (30 August), Serbia (1 September) and Angola (September 2). All of the Boomers’ five preliminary round games will be held in the Turkish city of Kayseri.

All of the Boomers’ world title games will be shown on FOX SPORTS.

Link: http://linky.com.au/69tn3

Topic #23569 | Report this topic

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

tagged as "Women" LOL

source of above: gaze.com.au

http://linky.com.au/l7o1b

Team:

Mills, Markovic, Martin
Newley, Gibson
Ingles, Barlow
Neilsen, Worthington
Maric, Andersen, Baynes

Reply #285904 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Wow where have all the SGs gone????
4 PGs and 1 SG!!!!
Hope there are some young SG coming along soon.

Reply #285905 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i hope Patty can play 35mins a game!

Reply #285906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow where have all the SGs gone????
4 PGs and 1 SG!!!!
Hope there are some young SG coming along soon."

Brett Brown has been saying for months that Gibson and Martin will play mostly at SG...

Reply #285907 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Chris Goulding and Anatoly Bose are SG's who were both considered through the selection process but were ultimately rejected by Brown. They are both young and have the potential to figure in future campaigns.

Reply #285908 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with AB4eva, Goulding and Bose are two guys who could easily slot in at SG within the next 4 years, although they are not pure shooters which is a glaring hole moving forward.

the unluckiest player IMO was Loughton whom I seriously thought Brown was going to select, but I guess the injury coupled with Maric's availability maybe edged him out. Also, Baynes' brawn has been selected over Ogilvy's finesse, although AJ is seriously lacking confidence right now.

I'd be interested in Paul's thoughts about the final team.

Reply #285911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats happened to CJ Bruton, has he retired from international competition?

Reply #285923 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is basically Maric in for Ogilvy from the Stankovic Cup, which I suspect is the team most of us were expecting.

I think in Loughton and Baynes there were two guys who arent ready for international basketball, but who offered something that could help the team - Loughton his shooting and passing, Baynes his power.

With Bogut and Jawai out, we really needed someone who could match up on a beast so Baynes won out, particularly given Andersen and Nielsen can both shoot and pass (not that Ando has really shown it at international level), and Wortho is an option as a small PF.

I think Mills will spend a lot of time effectively as the shooting guard, as he is close to our most damaging scorer, along with Newley.

Martin and Gibson have both been playing well, and can handle the point while defending most two men. If the oppo go big we can swing Newley and Ingles to the SG spot, which I think is their natural spot anyway.

We definitely need to find a way to get Barlow more involved than he was in China. With Nielsen, Worthington or Andersen in the 4-5 I would like to see us post him up a couple of times.

It is a good team, and definitely has the talent to come second or third in our pool and win a crossover match to finish top 8. Without Bruton and Bogut, going any further than that would be outstanding.

Maric, Nielsen, Newley, Mills, Martin
Andersen, Worthington, Barlow, Ingles, Gibson, Baynes, Markovic

Interestingly, three of those guys (Wortho, Marko and Mills) dont have contracts for next year, so extra incentive for them to perform.

Reply #285924 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i don't see any upside at all with markovic getting a spot.

i feel goulding, as a future boomers shooting guard, would have gotten better experience.
after all it is a bench spot.

boomers are seriously light weight 'from the waist down'and will find it very hard to hold their positions around both baskets.
we will need outstanding tournaments from mills and maric.
although once again, it looks like we will be needing to shoot well over 50percent from the 3 line to win consistantly.

Reply #285929 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Markovic is definitely lucky, and I guess Bruton's injury opened up a spot for him. I agree in a way that it was an opportunity to give someone younger a shot, but Brown obviously wanted the insurance, and Markovic is only 25.

I would have liked to have seen Anthony Petrie given more of a shot, although I heard he turned up to the original camp in less than peak condition which wouldnt have helped if true. Matt Knight would also have been on my list to have been given more of a look in.

Reply #285933 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

boomers are seriously light weight 'from the waist down'

Yeah, but we're not competing against Greg Oden in that department so that's a plus.

Reply #285936 | Report this post

KAB  
Years ago

I feel sorry for AJ Ogilvy, losing his spot in the squad after Aleks "I need a holiday" Maric finally decided to make himself available, 3 weeks before the World Champs. With Bogut and Jawai unavailable the SOS went out and Ogilvy turned up - despite just finishing a full college season, a series of pre-draft workouts and the NBA summer league. I'm sure he and some of the other guys would have liked a holiday too. Where is the reward for the hard work and loyalty? Maric better bring his A game and show he really is committed to the Boomers for more than the World Champs.

Reply #285941 | Report this post

WalkerTexas  
Years ago

Paul i agree with u totally about petrie being given more of an opportunity. but i have heard the opposite. I guess it depends who u talk to. From what i have heard it was only loughton that beat petrie in the fitness out of all the bigs at the camp in their testing. From reports he pushed himself very hard to get ahead of his schedule just to be there in time from a knee op and had a decent camp. Very talented player with some serious tools. defensively excellent. i think the equation was this simple, brett brown really liked his game and his toughness but at this stage it was either him or worthington for that guy with some mongrel that can do it all. worthington wins out which i have absolutely no problem with. On a whole i am pretty happy with our team. i am extremely glad that Maric has made himself available. I hope we can do well at the world champs because it would be a real shot in the arm for bball in australia.

Reply #285948 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting texaswalker, having seen the way Petrie goes about his ball that actually makes more sense to me.

If his fitness was sound, I am really disappointed he didnt play in the Argentina series. His NBL derserved that opportunity at the very least, especially when you consider the Majok was selected for the Perth camp ahead of him. I think Petrie is a better physical specimen than Wortho - taller, stronger, more powerful.

I would like to see guys who excel in the NBL - Ballinger, L Davidson, Petrie, M Knight etc given a bit more respect next year.

Reply #285955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suprised that Goulding was not included for Markovic. Goulding is a pure shooter and shows excellent hustle and team cohension.

Reply #285968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I, too, think that Goulding deserves a shot in the international game. We need to groom another SG.

By the way, what's the problem with playing Newley as a SG? Is it because we actually lack small forwards?

Reply #285990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good team good analysis - and not saying he necessarily deservd a spot but how come james harvey hasnt been in the mix? was he even in the training squad?

Reply #285996 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Both Newley and Ingles will spend time at the 2 and 3. Brown wants to go quick with them at the 3-spot, with Mills playing the 2 offensively and Martin or Gibson defensively.

Goulding is a great future talent but he isnt ready for the step up to international basketball yet. If he went it would be to watch and learn.

His first step is to get on a couple of tours of Asia or Europe and learn the international game, as well as becoming a consistently good player in the NBL, rather than someone who shows flashes of brilliance. Stephen Weigh is in a similar boat.

The task is in front of them though, with Mills, Martin, Newley, Ingles and Barlow all 26 or under and in for the long haul.

Reply #286000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was hoping to see Nevil play

Reply #286011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754