Anonymous
Years ago

36ers Development Players

Have they signed any development players?

If not who will they sign?

Topic #23570 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

An interesting side note: Adelaide squad member, 7'4" centre Sam Harris, made the national news last night on channel 10. He was quoted as being Australia's tallest athlete and was shown shooting hoops at an Adelaide training session.

Reply #285914 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd just be curious to know whether Sam Harris
who at 26 years can be signed as a 36ers Development Player - for there's a YAP U24 rule in the 10,
from there, I'm a litle confused by NBL wording on DPs

Reply #285915 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Sorry if this has already been posted on here somewhere.

This was posted on Twitter the other day:
Sam Harris throws down a dunk at Sixers training

Man that's some tall timber. Is it travelling if you are touching the ground whilst dunking???

Reply #285919 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

First footage I've seen of Harris, he looks a lot more nimble than I expected in those 14 seconds, I was thinking he'd be more like Kenny George or that 7-8 Chinese (or is he Korean?) guy who keeps popping up.

Have I missed something? Why can't he lock down a spot in a league where he's got 6 inches on all but a couple of players? Would he not be a better back up big than Dowdell?

Reply #285922 | Report this post

try it  
Years ago

like it like it - i anyone can get him going it will be marty.

Reply #285926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anymore footage from that training??

Reply #285931 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

In the tall department, there's a few young local lads who need to be considered. Here's just 3.....
I'm not too sure if he is on the DP list, has dropped off the Sixer's radar, or even qualifies as a DP, but Chris Molitor seriously needs to be on that list. He will be 22 this month and has had a pearler of a season for West. 16.8 ppg @ 42.7%, 5.8 rpg, 1.6 apg average around 30 mins/game. Seriously underplayed last NBL season really only playing junk time, Good at getting frisbees as well by all accounts.

19 yo Jan Warbout has put his hand up, but needs to improve on 38% shooting to be considered as a tall.

Another young gun who should be considered in the mix is 17 yo Daniel Carlin. Only doing about 11 mins/game, 5.6 ppg @ 53.7%, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 asp. Might be a bit young, but one player to keep on the radar and has certainly not disgraced himself this season.

The Sixers could be a bit guard heavy, but 18 yo Corey Maynard is another young gun to be considered in DP. Averaging around 30 mins/game for Sturt, 10.9 ppg @ 44.8%, 5.4 rpg and 3.8 apg. Pretty handy figures.

19 yo Tom Daly is another: 14.7 ppg @ 47.7%, 5.0 rpg and 3.4 apg.

If the Sixers had a youth team and that was the starting 5, they would be a formidable line up. In fact, here's my challenge for Friday afternoon, if you had to pick young guns from ABA to be a Sixers youth team, who would you?

Reply #285932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

corey maynard is off to college.

think you will find tom daly is one of the development players for sure.

Reply #285934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard maynard was offered a spot but chose to go to college instead... daly will be one of the 2 development guys

Reply #285938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how tall is tom daly

Reply #285950 | Report this post

hydra 93  
Years ago

Other young guys are Peter Hooley, Rhys Elliot, Josh Bond, Lachlan Prest (all U/20 State players as were Daly, Maynard 7 Warbout)- not signed but training

Reply #285956 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Which of those U20's mentioned will be off to college?

Reply #285963 | Report this post

hydra 93  
Years ago

Corey Maynard leaves shortly. Others are considering options.

Reply #285969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wearing their And1 gear!

Reply #285979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tom daly maybe 5'11, not very big

Reply #285983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's taller than 5'11. He's just off Maynard who's 6'2. I'll say 6'1.

Reply #285984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other young guys are Peter Hooley, Rhys Elliot, Josh Bond, Lachlan Prest (all U/20 State players as were Daly, Maynard 7 Warbout)- not signed but training

You could put any of the above in the 36ers youth team and they do well, all have somthink to offer and do very well at ABL these are our up and comming players and it would be great to see all of them develop over the next few years

Reply #285985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, the problem with your comments is that you are stating Molitor is a big man, yet he only averages 5.8 rebounds per game at SBL level. Don't get me wrong I think the kids talented but if he wants to play at an NBL level he needs to get more rebounds and be more physical around the basket. Too many times he's found outside the keyway.
Not that sure Jan Warbout has the potential to play at an NBL level either. Is a smart player but is a little too slow and probably undersized for his weight.
I think the pick of your three would be Dan Carlin. Has amazing potential and only used in sparing minutes at SBL level really does stand out for his age. Is long, is athletic and seems to have shed a couple of kg's over the past couple of months. Just needs to work on some more post moves besides the one or two moves he has.
Another big man at his age is Lachlan Prest who was mentiones as well by smeone else. Both him and Carlin are only 17 and have the height and athleticism to go on to play college or NBL once they put on a bit more muscle.

Reply #285986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mol rejected the offer of dev player put to him by the sixers.

Reply #285991 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Billo, Harris averaged 2ppg in college over 3 seasons he also tried with multiple NBL clubs. If he was talented enough he would be in a team but unfortunately for him he isn't at this stage. Height alone isn't good enough.

Reply #285997 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont necessarily agree KingJames. Harris is only 26, and there is no reason to think his best basketball isnt ahead of him given his size.

It would be nice to see him get a few consistent minutes (5-10 per game), and this season against Schenscher, Crosswhite, Nevill, Helliwell, Pledger and Behrendorff might be a good time to start.

Reply #286001 | Report this post

hefty  
Years ago

There are plenty of Players around Adelaide that have the potential to be apart of the Adelaide 36ers club.
Tom Daly would be among the one with most potential out of all of them, and central district players such as David Humphries and Daniel Carlin, even though Humphries missed out on the 2009 ABL season, im sure he will be fired up to play the next season and would be a good player to keep an eye on.

players like Josh Bond, Rhys Elliot and Peter Hooley are not quite talented to be on an NBL squad.

thats my opinion.

Reply #286004 | Report this post

Sam's issue have been that coaches have picked him because of his size but in fact the only times coaches have given Harris a chance to play decent minutes and hence to develop have been at the AIS and in Singapore with the Slingers .

Give him a chance to play regular minutes and he will show that he can do much more than just being a training partner . Great bloke

Reply #286005 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

DWG you took the words out of my mouth.

Reply #286006 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Kurt Phillips has impressed me these last two weeks. At twenty years of age he has good size and a nice shot. Has played well in two pressure games and stuck the knife into any hope Norwood might have had in the final 30 seconds with a big 3

Reply #286071 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

What happened to Sammy Gazzo he was at there camp

Reply #286846 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

Gazzo is currently in the training squad. It looks as though Daly will get one Development squad spot and the other one is still up for grabs with a darkhorse being Jan Warbout...

Reply #286861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754