Guidance Please
Years ago

Team Structure - 1st years v 2nd years

I am knew to this but I was wondering what others thought.

Should there be a mix of 1st and 2nd years in Div 1 and 2, mainly in div 2, to ensure continuity of performance from year 1 to year 2 in a given age group.

Does it make sense to have no 1st year players in either a Div 1 or 2 team and then expect the following year to have a competitive team made up by girls coming straight from Div 3 to Div 1.

To me it seems a big ask but if this is the norm then ok.

Topic #23583 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most clubs will put the best players in div 1 be it first year or second year players

Reply #286150 | Report this post

Guidance Please  
Years ago

I thought so but what about in Div 2. Is it to big a move to have girls Div 1 team made up of all Div 3 players from the previous year??

Reply #286151 | Report this post

my 20c worth  
Years ago

with anon on this one - best players regardless of 1st or 2nd year - go in div 1 then next group in div 2, div 3 etc.

I have seen plenty of good players go from div 3 to div 1 - trainings need to be integrated so the player from div 3 knows what is expected and allow a few games to adjust.

where it can get messy if there is not much depth in the squad and the decision is made on a "get the numbers up" and not on ability.

currently in juniors there are plenty of top div 3 teams that would easily account for Div 2 teams.

Norwood carnival, state champs etc have shown these results.

Reply #286152 | Report this post

Guidance Please  
Years ago

But can you expect a whole team to do this especially when they do not always train together. The big difference to me is lack of team skills being taught in lower divisions and then a need to play a team based game in Div 1 or 2

Reply #286155 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

If I had a single team in D1 and D2 I would do it like this

D1 = Best players regardless of first and 2nd year
D2 = All of the likely first years likely to make D1 the following year plus a top up of 2nd years to complete the team

Reply #286165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Flinders. That approach seems to be the one adopted by the successful Div 1 clubs, and is enhanced when they can field two Div 2 teams. Other clubs which seem to do better at lower divisions and fail at Div 1 level seem to have a disproportionate number of second years kid filling up Div 2 spots making the climb from Div 3 to Div 1 more onerous.

Reply #286182 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754