LC
Years ago

Nathan Jawai heads to Europe: signs with Partizan

Nathan Jawai is set to put his NBA aspirations aside for now to play basketball for one of Europe's best teams, Serbian powerhouse Partizan Belgrade.

Partizan Belgrade is the same team for which fellow Aussie big man Aleks Maric played for last season, and who play in the prestigious Euroleague competition.

Link: http://linky.com.au/16x3l

Serbian Link (Google Translated): http://linky.com.au/8kfta

Good move by Jawai - he will get soem serious minutes and with the schedule that Partizan plays to, he will definitely be match fit by some stage during the season!

Topic #23600 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

I do not believe he will get another NBA shot, he isn't that caliber of player. Will go alright in Europe if he can get fit

Reply #286337 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am not sure he will play 'serious' minutes, but he will be a real impact player for them and will have the chance to earn some good minutes.

If he doesnt get into shape though there is a real chacne he will ride the pine. He will have to work very, very hard to be a success in the Euroleague, but he has the talent so I hope he does.

Newley, Nielsen, Maric and Jawai all in the Euroleague this season, which is good. If Aussies are going to be playing overseas, they should at least be in a comp that is better than the NBL.

Reply #286355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will set some good screens for Teodosic, similar to his and Maric's pick and roll play.

Reply #286368 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I reckon Jawai is better working from the weakside than as a pick and roll player, but you are certainly right, Teodosic will love using him as a roadblock!

Reply #286385 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

as long as maccas is nearby.......the big fella is in trouble!!

Reply #286399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Teodosic sign with Partizan, too? I haven't seen any news about it, nor been able to find any in google.

Reply #286417 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah good point! We were getting them all mixed up, Matty Nielsen is the Aussie who will be playing with Teodosic at Olympiakos. Partizan are running import point guards, although they have had a big turnover of players this year, I think McCalebb has signed in Italy.

Reply #286434 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, I think this is a good move by Jawai, and mature too. While playing in the NBA is pretty much every players' aim, lots of good players have wasted their career knocking on the door endlessly. This way he gets the chance to prove himself at a level not that far below the NBA, potentially opening up opportunities back in the show, but if not he can still have a challenging career where he can try and reach his full potential, win championships and also be paid well for his talents.

Reply #286496 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

big nate wasn't even that great in the nbl(14pts a game i think)he really needed to experience at least another season to cement his OWN self belief.

just seeing the big fella around town.......
he doesn't look like HE believe's!!

Reply #286505 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy I feel is lacking the same thing right at the moment, coming out of what ended up being a bad situation at Vanderbilt and of course going undrafted. He needs a chance to play and restore the confidence that saw him dominate at junior WC's and during his first 2 seasons at Vandy.

Reply #286536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754