anon
Years ago

ABL Players Moving Clubs

Another ABL season nearly done.

This is the time of year coaches look to recruit (poach) from other clubs.Who would be high on the recruit list for coaches??

A few retirements around the league will mean a lot more minutes and oppurtunities at some clubs...

Many players diddn't get the minutes they deserved or think they deserved..

Who has put themselves out there for a switch of teams??

Topic #23606 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think you would find much movment in the top 5 clubs,Sturt and west look to keep most players except Maynard and Philips both going O/S. Norwood may have a few call it a day,so I dont see too much movment!

Reply #286401 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Eagles could be losing more than they think

Gerlach O/S
Riley O/S
DMT ???
Arnold retired
Sullivan ???

Reply #286407 | Report this post

Lauren Jackson  
Years ago

Was it worth Hannah Richards making the move to the darkside?
Will she move back to the club that developed her into the player she is today!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #286413 | Report this post

The AIS? I don't think she can go back to Canberra..?

Reply #286414 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

I'm going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons and put some names out there on who's moving or retiring....
Sturt: Tim Klaosen- Is a solid player and is trying to take every opportunity to get better as a player. Can give good minutes at ABL level but won't get them at Sturt.
John Marriott- Started the season as a starting five player, but once Jacob came back couldn't get a game, ending up only averaging about 4 minutes a game after that. Is a big bloke, still young and may expect more minutes.
Marcus Ng- Hasn't quite gotten back to the form he showed in 2007. Started the season back after injury logging 30 minutes to only end the season averaging about 10 minutes. Won't get much court time behind the better Ng...

West Adelaide- I don't know if we will see any players move sides but expect to see a players retire or simply give the game away.
Shane Crothers- If the men can get a win on Saturday I would put my money on the old man retiring on a high. If not...he's still done! Let's hope the boys can send him off with a victory and maybe another tattoo on the other ankle! ;)
Matthew Dubrich- Played 5 games in 2009 with South and averaged 7pts and 5 rebs in limited time. Thought the grass was greener on the other side of Prt rd but was horribly wrong. Has only logged minutes in 2 games this season and just doesn't look interested. Will give the great game away.
Rory Craddock- In 2006 averaged 17 pts per game, 13 in 2007 and 2008 and then dopped to 5pts in 2009 and this year averaged a miserly 1.8pts per game. Since the evolving of both Bond and Phillips as players Rory has lost his way and will again simply give the game away.

Forestville- It's interesting to see the names mentioned above. DMT and Scott Arnold have been talking about retiring for a year or two now (Arnold did retire for a season!), if the likes of Sullivan and Gerlach go OS I simply don't think they will go around again.
Can they afford to get Riley back again? Can Riley afford to play full time on a very small income? The fact he hasn't been picked up by any NBL, but has put his name out there will he be picked up by a SEABL club next season who can pay him and offer him more?
Will we see the return of big man Peter Hoban? Has played predominately in the reserves for WWT but has played 5 League games this season and with one ruckman quitting and the hopes currently resting on the shoulders of Craig Parry, is there a spot for Peter or will he play for reserves again all year next season?

Norwood- This could be the team with the most changes. Coach Sapwell has gone, Keith Krause may be doubtful now needing surgery on both his elbow and knee in the off season. Dan Thompson is an enigma, played very little during the season after off court indiscretions (but we will call it fireman duties!) and when he did play would not have been happy playing only 15 minutes a game. If he loses good mate and partner in crime Krause to retirement may not see a reason to go around again or could do the unthinkable and join West!!!
Talk is young gun Peter Hooley maybe looking elsewhere in order to get some minutes and currently training with the Sixers could be a spark of anyones bench!

North- Won't change too much in my opinion, have a reasonably young group beside Dallas who now he has his life membership with North could look at retiring.
The only change I could foresee is the movement of young gun Rhys Elliott. Will he look at college? I doubt it. Will he look elsewhere to get more minutes, maybe. Was playing big minutes and good minutes last season for North but was pushed back to a resrves role behind Zorich. Unfortunately kids these days expect everything NOW, so will he fit this stereotype of kid and look elsewhere to seek his time in the sun?
Can anyone tell me what happened to the left handed kid, Luke Mapanda?? ;)

Eastern- Again, don't see too many changes in this group. Have a very solid base to work with and will be the big movers in 2011 if they can keep the group together and perhaps pick up a good point guard...Rhys?? Starting five with a guard like Rhys or even someone like a young Nathan Spehr and you would have a line up of Spehr/Elliott, Madgen, Hill, Dodman and Breheny. That group is good enough to go with any team.

Woodville- Not too much left there for Scott Whitmore to take except Cam Wilson and considering he's running for the President, Senior Women's Coach as well as the Canteen ladies role I don't see him leaving. Brink is gone and won't be back.
Will Knight look to move? Has played well for the last two seasons and would be a handy asset to a team competing for finals. Looks to stand out amongst a bag of misfits with his surfy looks, tan skin and hot missus, surely a pretty team like Norwood or Sturt would be more suited!!

South- Once again a team that underperformed but did do better than last year but is it enough to keep players like Steve Pilkington or newby Sammy Gazzo at the club? Forestville heavily persued Pilkington last season only to be burnt by a "my word is stronger than oak" handshake deal at the 23rd hour. Will they want to pursue him again?
Sammy Gazzo had a good season coming in second in scoring with 24 points, but did put up on average 25 shots per game at 38% to get that 24. Will be chased by a lot of clubs in the off season, but being the coaches "pet" will he stay?

Southern- What can you say about this group? Not a lot left to be honest. Star recruit Paget quitting after just 3 games to play football. Keg on legs Paul Smith doing the same thing.
Losing Josh Wood to Cairns was obviously a massive hit to the team and to Coach Jury's career as coach!
With him gone will we see Gerlach move back? Clarke back and Hodges out of retirement???

Centrals- Wow, where do you start? Will Scott Whitmore have a job? Going from potential finalists in 2009 to wooden spooners in 2010 would hurt this blokes will to win. I just don't know what went wrong with this group. I hink the big fella needs to cull a couple of players including import Wade Piddock. This group could score but couldn't stop a grandma crossing the road! The import was all about pre game warm ups and chucking up three's, not about stopping his man and heling out. The same could be said about Reeves, both bigs choosing to soley focus on offence.
Rumours were that Reeves was not enjoying his basketball and planning on giving it away to focus on social basketball!!! Could we see a return to the green and gold for him?
All in all though they have a good young squad if they can retain players like Carlin, Templeton and Zane and if they could obtain the services of a quality big like a Dan Thompson could again push for finals.

Well that just took up my morning, i'm sure I will get plenty of heated arguements out of this!

Reply #286456 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Great write up mesiah

Reply #286465 | Report this post

pure gold  
Years ago

Cam Wilson and considering he's running for the President, Senior Women's Coach as well as the Canteen ladies role I don't see him leaving.

so true, so true, so very very sad but so true

Reply #286469 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

West loosing
Crothers - retiring
Molitor - AFL
Phillips - US High school

Norwood loosing
Krause - was going before he did his knee
Sapwell - U14 coaching his son
Thompson - retiring
Mathews - retiring

Reply #286485 | Report this post

Juno 36  
Years ago

Coaches - are they all in place - any likely new faces ?
Great to see new face in Bell /Jeanette COTY - clubs taking chances wih fresh blood paid off - Scotty B also new to ABA GF in first stint -

although though Bell might have been ABA coach few years back or at least filled in

Reply #286515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers men need new coach, as do south women.

Reply #286522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need as in positions are empty, or you think the coaches suck and need to be replaced?

Reply #286523 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Butler has coached Sturt men before - late 90's?

Reply #286529 | Report this post

Medevil81  
Years ago

Early 2000's I think.

Reply #286533 | Report this post

hmmmm.  
Years ago

South Womens Coach = Gone, KB = Southern Mens Coach.... Interesting times ahead!

Reply #286550 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

Spoke to Krause less than a week ago and he still hadn't made his decision, wanted to speak to the doctor about his knee first.
Also, KB will be coaching the other side of town from what I hear so Southern will need to keep looking.

Reply #286589 | Report this post

Free agent  
Years ago

Surely Cam Wilson will be coaching the Woodville men next season, as everybody knows a poor season at Woodville = the coach is axed.

Reply #286596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam had to run the show 2 years ago because the coach sure did sweet FA! And everyone in the team was of the same opinion about getting a new coach in that actually gave a crap about the team! someone who wasnt asking the players before games "who's that bloke" or " I dont no much about this team" after a year in the league!

Coach Molitor has been huge for the team with his passion and approach for the team and games and will be back next year! So get off cam's back coz he's been a great captain this year and has been able to step back and just play!

Reply #286599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kb will be at southern, lions women job has been offered and accepted. It is not him .

Reply #286607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see any of the sturt guys leaving .. very loyal group of guys. Especially after another GF appearance.

Reply #286609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is kb?

Reply #286662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kevin brooks

Reply #286667 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

speculation is great crew but if the Tigers go after KB it is a joke considering that for the past 5 years there senior teams have been asked to run on a shoe string at best ...... pretty sure KB aint travelling down south for no $$$$ .... and if he does he would want to bring Darnell as there may be some key players moving so they can get to team in which the club will support winning !

Reply #286820 | Report this post

Southern Men have key players? Like who?

Reply #286821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has KB lowered his sights? Rumour at Halls was that he was after plenty of coin

Reply #286825 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Southern obviously spent their money on more important things like contributing $$ to a fantastic brand new Stadium and viewing area and the recently announced full time Basketball Operations Manager.

Good on em.

Reply #286839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB has been seen regularly at Norwood during finals....

Reply #286848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

must have got free admission then

Reply #286853 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

Kb to coach a Northern women's team is my late mail...from the man himself! ;)

Reply #286860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he dropped his $$?

Reply #286862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals has plenty of cash!!!

Reply #286864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW considering the Lions have sent a memo to all of its members congratulating Scott Whitmore and Tony Moore as it 2 senior coaches for 2011 it could only the the Elizabeth Albatrosses, Wednesday nights Peachy Road Rec Centre, good hoops.

Reply #286871 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

pickles ex housemate ..... if i remember correctly those key players helped the tigers to be the only team to win against both grand finalists last season !
Maybe if their club let them recruit some bigs (or Paget didnt go chasing coin in footy) they wouldnt of been undersized all year !

Reply #286873 | Report this post

mimas  
Years ago

KB to Norwood is a rumour I heard as well...but there would be some unhappy Flames people if that happened.

Reply #286878 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This has turned into the KB thread.

KB will be a busy boy. Coaching here, coaching there. Can you coach the mens at one club and womens at the other?

Reply #286881 | Report this post

hydra 82  
Years ago

what's this about molitor playing AFL? couple more I hear south men are looking for a new coach, maynard (sturt) off to college in the states, knight (woodvile) not returning, harvey (forestvlie) considering a change of clubs, and pidock (centrals) not returning. any insight?

Reply #286911 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The horse trading has already started.

Reply #286915 | Report this post

qwerty  
Years ago

Heard Rumors of some player movement to South dependant on which/if 1st time ABL coach gets gig.

Reply #286916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also heard south may loose alot of players to football and retirements

Reply #286917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to south.......get a grip

Reply #286918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if knight plays it will be at woodville.

Reply #286921 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

Any more word on U23s coaches? Notice most clubs holding trials soon...

Reply #286925 | Report this post

up there!  
Years ago

South abl mens coach gone, told the players other night 8 wins in 2 years not good enough?

Reply #286926 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

what's this about molitor playing AFL?
No hes of to sanfl with west adelaide, He played a couple of games with thier 2nds last season...

Reply #286929 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

West will be slim next year..
No davo
No molly
no phillips
no crusher
Anyone looking for an ABL spot heres your chance....

Reply #286931 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

Who'd want to play with Truslove though!

Reply #286934 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

"Up There", your obviously a fan of both Gazzo and the coach it seems mate, a little disgruntled are we?
I highly doubt there will be many leaving for football, I know a certain former player is trying to entice some of the players to play football in the country but I don't see it happening.
Retirements, again I don't see it happening, most of the players are keen to go around again.

Reply #286935 | Report this post

air jordan  
Years ago

Reply #286936 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

1st time coach going to south ??????
have they not gone after ninnis ?
pretty sure gazzo wont be allowed to put up 35+ shots a game under Ninnis ......

Reply #286978 | Report this post

up there!  
Years ago

im a fan of gazzo actually mesiah???, and yes he wont be putting up that many under whoever they go after? mentality needs to change cause they have the talent!

Reply #286981 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

On the Grapevine i hear one of the players returning from college is heading up to Mildura to play in Big V. How would that happen?????

Reply #286990 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

up there .... im a fan too, he plays hard, has good skills, rebounds but Im just not sure how he would go in a team that requires 3 guys getting 15-20 shots - but your right about South .... they have the talent to do a lot better !

As far as the college guy going to Mildura - have you heard of a salary cap in this league ? its barely enough to buy the guys a pair of shoes each so why would he play here !

Reply #287001 | Report this post

up there!  
Years ago

Whos this returning from college didnt relise they south had anyone in college system at moment?

Reply #287020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturts Todd Gower retiring

Reply #287040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats trent fildes doing next year? boonstopple as well? why didnt they play abl?

Reply #287042 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

I think they have plenty of cash in Mildura from some of the "PRODUCT" they grow in the area.

Reply #287048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trent came back midseason - He played reserves most of the year, and will probably suit up next year.

Boonstopple went back to college this week, so I'm guessing he didn't play ABA cos he either didn't get a clearance from his div eleven college, or he wasn't good enough to make the team.

Reply #287091 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

Is Trent not going back to college? It would make sense that he was as surely both players could get a gig in the SBL side? If they were planning on going back to college though they wouldn't be allowed to play SBL without special permission from their college which is why they would have just played reserves.

Reply #287102 | Report this post

White Dog  
Years ago

Gazzo has copped alot of flack for putting up too many shots this year but surely thats a reflection of the direction of the team. I think under a different coach you will find Gazzo to be one of the best players in ABL. By directing Souths offenses to utilise their other strengths more it will take the defensive focus off of Gazzo allowing him to have more open shots. With some slight adjustments to his game you may well find him at the top of the Woolacott medal race in the near future.

Reply #287129 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

gee white dog, sounds like you might be the next South coach !!

Reply #287131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have South have got coin or is Ninnis willing to take minimal income??

Reply #287144 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

minimal income - any income is better than nothing for scotch ninnis...

Reply #287146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I question the post above. I know that South haven't made a decision yet and I would bet that Scott Ninnis is not even the frontrunner!!

Reply #287150 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bobby Neil for South ABA Mens

Reply #287152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 287146, you've just activated the dickhead alert.

Reply #287187 | Report this post

up there!  
Years ago

Well ninnis is a south boy from way back and would be right what they need? have under achieved for past decade need someone to whip it back into the glory days!!!!!!!peoples

Reply #287191 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Ninnis coaching South in 2011

Reply #287192 | Report this post

up there!  
Years ago

is this confirmed annon?

Reply #287200 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is KB his assistant?

Reply #287211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tigers men's coach has been decided, anyone know which blood nut got it??

Reply #287222 | Report this post

So anon, you know Southern Mens has been decided, but you didn't bother asking who it was?

Reply #287243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sean Jennings

Reply #287303 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

looking at other posts shaun may be coaching a team of juniors !

Reply #287398 | Report this post

The Messiah  
Years ago

Most people on here bagged Scott Ninnis when he was coaching the Sixers and it was reported the players didn't like him, now everyone on here is saying he is a good choice for South and will whip them into shape! Make your mind up!!!

Reply #287487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ninnis should be good for south.. Hope south keeps jb as a assistant or in some capacity around the club. Ninnis will hopefully use his name and experience to recruit. Have a good young core in gazzo, prest and bruce

Reply #287496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony cassella got the job!!

Reply #287977 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

^^^^ is that the south adelaide job head coach job

Reply #287987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #287996 | Report this post

sss  
Years ago

Heard a young bearcat escaped the cage and has jumped on a rocket is this rumour true???

Reply #291473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True sss

Reply #291475 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I hope we aren't talking about what happened last Saturday night after a few drinks!

Reply #291476 | Report this post

cal77  
Years ago

sss - yes this is true.

Reply #291500 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Which young Bearcat?

Reply #291503 | Report this post

rocketman  
Years ago

Josh Bond from West to North.

Reply #291526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that interesting move for him

Reply #291540 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Josh hasn't had time to scratch himself in the off season...
josh is looking to go to college in the future he might want to check on the college rules for applicants having an agent = not allowed.
He might want to be careful colleges dont get any info on him having an agent acting for him in the adelaide state league...

His agent or AL Green = the person sitting in on josh's meetings with state league coaches from teams like centrals, south and north.
Your 19 josh not a NBA free agent coming out of contract.
- no one has an agent in the SA State league.
and if you are trying to go to college
- isn't a rule you can't paid... what are you shopping yourself around for?

very interesting decision/career move for the young man seeing west have lost brad davidson to retirement and kurtis phillips to college.

Reply #291576 | Report this post

Player  
Years ago

Thats what you get when your club doesn't look after their juniors.

Reply #291580 | Report this post

need to know  
Years ago

Number 1
Josh dose not have an agent AL is a good friend and is the one that got him into basketball
Number 2
Josh is looking for a club that will help him take the next step, not just promise court time but help him learn more he knocked back Mt Gambier last year because it was paid so NO he is not after money
Number 3
The club he went with did not promise court time or anythink else, So he will have to work hard for what he gets and that is what he wants (could of stayed at west and got 30mins + court time but court time is not everythink)

He still love west but he is not the only to move from one club to another. Only time will tell if he made the right move

Reply #291585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if a player has their parents, brother, sister or best friend sitting next to them in a meeting with a club they have an agent???? Dont think so.
Not the first to change clubs wont be the last.
Good luck to all players and clubs for 2010/2011. Maybe clubs/coaches across SA should look at why players change clubs? maybe thats where the answer lies.

Reply #291586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here are the reasons that I see for people changing clubs
1. They have made a decision about their current coach- thinks their coach is no good and possibly have clashed (this is subjective to every individual)
2. They are tired of playing with the same team mates and possibly see them as holding the player back or would rather work less with what is perceived a more talented group.(In a lot of cases players have played together from U10 to U20- people become stale with familiarity )
3. Think they will get better coaching with another coach.(once again this is subjective)
4. In juniors it's because parents mainly buy into the propaganda that their child won’t succeed UNLESS they do change clubs
This is in no way directed to the individual being discussed, but a generalization
It is easy to blame clubs for not working hard enough- this is bullshit
What is a club= an association of people with a common interest i.e. basketball
If individuals stayed and worked hard for their club on all fronts (playing, coaching, administrating) rather than just be about the playing then all clubs would better for it.

Reply #291590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe players just need a change for some fresh air. Its like some times you change jobs not really knowing the future but you do it becasue you feel like you need a change.
At senior level a player is smart enough to make up their own mind and know what road they want to go on.

Reply #291592 | Report this post

need to know  
Years ago

reanon
A few hours ago
01:42 10 Oct 10

Reply #291576
re: ABL Players Moving Clubs
Josh hasn't had time to scratch himself in the off season...
josh is looking to go to college in the future he might want to check on the college rules for applicants having an agent = not allowed.
He might want to be careful colleges dont get any info on him having an agent acting for him in the adelaide state league...
MMMM someone should get their fact right before opening their mouths
There is no problem having a friend attending a meeting with you as support, His old coach would know the difference as he is a players agent......

Reply #291599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Westies i'd be very concerned. Other juniors would look at josh as homegrown talent. Look up and see well if Bondy has left there must be problems with our senior program. West need to do more to look after and develop their players rather than try and poach kids.

Reply #291603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So agree

Reply #291605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah now that they have 50 extra juniors from Magic they'll be fine.

Reply #291616 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Who cares about Josh Bond, he has never been an elite athlete, can't play defense and everyone knows it except his mum, who rang NORTH. Goodluck North with that one or is it two!

Reply #293922 | Report this post

Mimas 19  
Years ago

And people wonder why players like Bond and Spehr left west.

Do we need any more evidence than the above post.

Got out while they still had a chance to improve.

Reply #293923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE:#293922

Funny you must be a great player or been one..... Before posting get facts.
I know Bondie and family well.

1/ Fours clubs wrote letters to West to speak to Bondie after the grand final.

2/ Bondie made his mind up on his own. West knew before his parents.

3/ People like you is why players move.

So before posting crap about player or his family find out what went on.

Gather you are involved with West and really if you want to know the truth call Bondie him self before posting. So get over it players move all the time.

If you say Bondie was a crap player anyway WHY post about him......( you should be glad he left)

Reply #293926 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mimas 19 - and the rest

Don't know how a player's departure from West over two years ago is relevant here, especially since Spehr left (and remains) on good terms with everyone at West and certainly did not leave for reasons of bad feeling or frustrated ABL aspirations - at 17 years of age, ridiculous. As I hear it, he turned down ABL opps in 2009 because of Year 12 studies. Please use someone else to bolster the argument!

Bond has made a decision to go to North. Other players are moving too! That's basketball, par for the course, get over it and MOVE ON.

Reply #293935 | Report this post

z  
Years ago

RE 293922

Well if he has no defence then what does that say abt the coaches who has coached him
Then it is a good move to another club to learn said defence to make him a better player

Reply #293967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

z, I see time and time again players move clubs because the "club" didn't teach me. A range of people in a "club" will work with those kids and typically a range of people will work with them when they move. I beleive personal accountability is the key issue. Moving clubs only removes the personal accountability. If the club is a good club, working hard for their kids, then be personally accountable, don't change because that club "didn't teach you something" Defence is easy to learn, but hard to do. Just do it!

Reply #293972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players move club for a chance also to get more abl time and also better coaching. Sometime players do not all get along there are lots of reason if they do. All i can say good luck to them if they do and long is not just for money enjoyment should come first.

Reply #293989 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Any news on players moving/signing with clubs, my rumours so far...

North have picked up Josh Bond obviously, but the latest is that Tracey has siged up Sam Harris as well. I guess being assistant has paid off...

The rumours are massive surrounding Sturt, but i'm not too sure if I believe them all. They will have Brad Hill and Mitch Creek joining them for season 2011 which would leave a pretty unbeatable squad if Jacob and Darren and the youngsters hang around. Don't know how they will all start as you would think players like Darren, Jacob, Brad, Mitch, Daly, Jan, Spehr would all be expecting to start.

Peter Hooley has gone across to South and the news out of the Panthers is they have or are very close to signing Daniel Johnson. I know they have spoken to Creek as well and you would think the Horsham connection would overide whatever Sturt can offer (which is $0, according to te Sabres).

Jeff Dowdell has signed with the Bearcats along with Tristan Braithwaite to try and cover some of the losses but I think they still have a long way to go.

Woodville seem destined to get back Zane Reeves from Centrals.

Centrals have lost Jacob Templeton who has decided to try Aussie rules footy, but might pick up Luke Frost from South.

Nothing coming out of Forestville and from what I believe they may have lost a few. Once again murmours of Arnold retiring, Gerlach travelling OS and Riley possibly not returning.

Anything else on the rumour mill???

Reply #294566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say Forestville will have a sixer on their roster.

I'd also say that West are not done recruiting yet.

Reply #294575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Souths might make history being the first club to have a top ABL team and no junior teams with squat.

Reply #294579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South have a few juniors in there squad in the girls and boys squad some are playing under 23. They will improve in the next year or so.

Reply #294586 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

I find it hard to beleive that this number of the sixers squad will stay in Adelaide off season.
Surely most will go home and play with their local clubs / SEABL.
Souds like a big bunch of gos to me

Reply #294587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find the 36ers coaches want the players to stay in Adelaide during the off season.

Reply #294589 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Yeah most of these guys have been signed for two years and Marty wants them to hang around Adelaide so he can continue to work with them in the off season as well as to give back to grass roots basketball here in SA. It's a great idea and reminds me of the old days when every Sixer had a local club they played for. Fans end up building more of a relationship with them and i'm sure it will build crowd numbers.
It used to be great watching Rob Rose at Forestville, Trimmingham at Centrals, Maher at Sturt, Mark Davis at South in the old days.

Reply #294590 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

The Brad,

Sturt aren'y getting anyone.

Who would they drop from their starting line up?

Reply #294591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting, I was told from one of the coaches that he believed Herberts injury was due to not having an off season, going from NBL to SEABL to NBL to SEABL for a few years. Good luck to the clubs that can get them though.

Reply #294595 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Well that's my point, who would you start and who would you put to the bench? My thought would be to run with a smaller line up, Daly, Ng, Creek, Hill, Holmes if all came on board and have Spehr and Warbout off the bench but would these guys be happy with that role, both players have developed really well over the past two years and would deserve a starting role on probably 80% of teams in this league.
Let's hope for the league they don't pick anyone else up!!!

Reply #294611 | Report this post

Oberon 90  
Years ago

So Brad you're guessing then? You haven't heard any rumours, you are in fact starting them yourself.

Reply #294613 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

No not at all, heard from a player in the league who I won't name who is "in the loop" with a lot of these players...

Reply #294683 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

The Brad,

By in the loop, you mean, idol gossip.

What sort of wager would you like to put on it?

Reply #294694 | Report this post

Eagle plucker  
Years ago

Expect Amber Land to suit with Forestville

Reply #294698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coming from one of last year's coaches I'd say it would be a little more than idol gossip

Reply #294701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, "idle gossip". Unless you really, really look up to these legends of the ABL game. ;)

Reply #294705 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

Haha how can you not look up to jacob.

anon,

Do you want to put some money on it then?

Reply #294706 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

If Amber Land ends up anywhere but Centrals next year it will be a disgrace to the league, for the first time in years Centrals have seured a marquee player that would build their program, if other teams cant see that as good for the league it is a real shame. Forestville please leave Amber in her place at Centrals and allow a better 10 team competition.

Reply #294715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mitch creek very close 2 signing with south

Reply #294731 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

all of the americans men or women that played abl this year are on visa's that allow one year only, so if Amber plays anywhere it will be a surprise.

her visa status would have to change dramatically for it to happen.

Reply #294746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Filthy, your recruiting tactics were questionable weren't they

Reply #294756 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

well anon, I had my moments unfortunately, but I can assure you any recruiting I did from bottom teams were after being contacted by the player not the other way around. Looking back however I would have done it a little differently, we learn and grow!

Reply #294767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Filthy. we both know that's a nose growing statement

Reply #294790 | Report this post

We just need to accept some Mexicans are filthier than the rest.

Reply #294800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rhys carter to north or west?

Reply #296607 | Report this post

7 Footer  
Years ago

Sam Harris signed with Bendigo...

Reply #298998 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I heard Harris had already signed with North! How can the SBL seriously compete with what SEABL teams can offer players here!

Reply #299020 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I hear that Rashard Tucker is working behind the bar this year at Forestville... ;)

Reply #299918 | Report this post

Coach C  
Years ago

A little tired that one Panther...

Isn't Rashard Tucker overseas playing though...

Sure you probably meant Wayville as well not Forestville...

Reply #300837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard the same thing last week from reliable fville source panther.

Reply #300839 | Report this post

Coach C  
Years ago

I heard he was playing in Japan...

Reply #300843 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754