LC
Years ago

Carmelo Anthony: Should he stay or should he go?

Lots of rumour and innuendo doing the rounds that Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony may depart Denver following this season as a free agent.

What are the pros and cons for Melo to consider?

What does Denver need to do in order to retain Anthony past this coming season? Or is it all too late and he will leave anyway despite what moves the Nuggets may or may not make?

I'd like to think he will stay in Denver, but I think he is going to leave the Nuggets despite any actions they may make and head to the team of his choice, at this early stage could he already be headed to NY?

Topic #23609 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

There is a lot of talk that Denver might trade him before this season so they get something for him unlike the Cavs and Raps with James and Bosh. This will also allow Anthony to sign the max extension which he might not get in the new CBA.

Reply #286426 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

He's more than welcome to join the Knicks. I'm a Knick fan and would love him playing for my team and teaming with Amare.

If we can lure CP3 also, that'll be a bonus.

Reply #286427 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I can't see how the knicks can get him in...They have already traded all of their assets and the players that they have left aren't worth it for Denver. If the nuggets are going to trade him they should just hold out for the highest bidder, they have their own franchise to think about, not Carmelo's wish to play for the Knicks or Magic or whatever.

Reply #286429 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

How about this one:

A sign & trade to LA for Odom & Artest.

Would benefit both teams. Lakers would have someone to take over the Kobe legacy and Denver would get good value in two talented forwards.

Thoughts?

Reply #286433 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

It looks like the Knicks could offer the Nuggest Gallanari (15ppg and very good 3 pt shooter) and Chandler (expiring contract) and first rounder for Anthony. Either way the Nuggets will lose out on any trade as they won't be getting a superstar for Anthony.

Reply #286440 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Nutwork - No way the Nuggets would do that. They would get their arse kicked by the Lakers 4 times a year for the next 8 years. They would much rather him go East if he is going to leave.

Big Sexy - It depends how serious Melo is about leaving an whether he makes his intentions clear. I'd say it is win-win for both Melo and Denver if they do trade before the deadline. Melo gets a bigger deal, the chance to play in NY and avoids contract issues under the new EBA. While the Nuggets at least get somehting (e.g. Gallo) in return.

Reply #286448 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Juror 12,

I know but I'm a Lakers fan and the deal looks good to me.

Reply #286452 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

The knicks can't trade first round picks, they traded the rights to swap their first rounder for 2011 and completely gave their first rounder for 2012 to Houston for Tracey McGrady....That trade was a franchise crippler for the knicks.
All they can offer is Eddy curry's expiring combined with Gallo/Chandler/2nd rounders....thats not gonna get it done.

The only way I see Carmelo ending up at the Knicks is if they sit back and hope he opts to become a free agent and signs in the offseason, which with the new CBA looming is highly unlikely.

Reply #286458 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

As far as I can see, Melo can jump ship anytime he wants; he has options and a termination clause. He would lose more cash terminating, but can go where he wants without an issue.

Trading doesn't mean squat; if the Nuggets don't to be "Lebroned" then they will need to take whatever offer the Knicks can make. Either that or 3-way trades need to be looked at.

Honestly, the Nuggets are a contender now; considering he may wait 3 years for a deep lineup with the Knicks, he might as well try one more season with the Nuggets. They nearly made the finals two years ago; and dipped out early last season.

Best move is to hold out until the end of the season; get that finals run with Denver and then jump ship if the Nuggets can't deliver.

Reply #286464 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think the Nuggets are done. Chauncey is getting older and the big men are hobbling around. Plus who knows what you are going to get form JR Smith. I can't see them getting past the first round this year (Could they beat any of Lakers, Mavs, Rockets, Thunder, Spurs, Blazers and Jazz?)

But seriously - what would it take to keep Melo in Denver?
A title? Maybe but not a likely scenario (see above list of other West teams they would need to beat)
Another star? Maybe, but who? And how do they get him?
EBA concerns? He probably wont be able to get the same kind of deal under the new agreement but surely the difference wont be so large that he wouldn't be able to make it up in extra sponsorship etc (especially if he goes NY). Plus, we've already seen players happy to take less money to play where they want to.

In summary I agree with Big Marty - the Nuggets can take whatever they can get now or they can do a Cleveland and hold onto the faint hope that he will stay and end up getting nothing at the end of the year.

Reply #286472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo should go 2 the hornets.

Reply #286513 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think Melo may up up playing out the season as this could well be the Nugget's last chance to shine with a decent enough lineup, and then dip his feet in the FA market...

Reply #286538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754