inshock
Years ago

Devastating news - Opals

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/the-opals-team-has-been-revealed-and-laura-summerton-and-jenni-screen-have-been-cut/story-e6frect3-1225907388511

Topic #23616 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little dramatic with the title there...

Imagine if one of the girls had stubbed their toe..

Reply #286501 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Interesting the suggestion by Boti that Screen and Summerton were not selecteded because they were Stirling's picks. Would have hoped that the best 12 girls were selected on form and it appears more likely that this selection policy occured.

Reply #286508 | Report this post

sharon  
Years ago

It's disgraceful. Laura was their 6th man in a Gold Medal World Champ campaign and a Silver Medal Olympic campaign. Just goes to show how much politics exists in a sport like basketball, and why the sport will continue to diminish in this country.

Reply #286511 | Report this post

Years ago

still one more to be cut - poto ? tolo ? richards ? grima ? bishop ?

very tough for laura and the coaches.

we will have the number one on our backs - so expect the USA to be a lot better this time. China and Russia also a lot better.

Good to see liz cambage in there.

Reply #286516 | Report this post

agnesbc  
Years ago

Go Abby Bishop!!!!

Reply #286525 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd hardly call it a disgrace....

Summerton is unlucky, but I would take Cambage/Tolo every single time over Summerton. Both are significantly bigger (and arguably better)than Summerton and this is international basketball. Tolo is going as the defensive big.

Cambage is a 5 and Tolo can play both position. Summerton is also 27, Cambage is 18 and Tolo 21, both youngsters and the likely candidates to take over when LJ rides off into the sunset.

Boti has some blinkers one. Graffy is doing exactly what Stirling did. Selecting players she knows. Hardly a 'politicial fall out'.

I do question Poto and Tully's selection, but who would you drop for Screen??

Reply #286545 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Suspect (perhaps hope) that Poto will be the unlucky 13th. Can definitely play but from what I've seen of her can just as easily become a cancer on a team. Hardly what you want from somebody you dont expect to be a major contributor anyway.

Like TR - struggle to find room in that group for Summerton. Haven't seen her of late but the US are re-stocking their bigs (ESPN.com today) because they fear they cant match up with our bigs so Cambage and Tolo represent a pretty sizeable pairing (particularly if they are coming off the bench as I suspect they will).

Reply #286548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't remember Boti getting all fired up about favouritism when Jan picked Michelle Brogan straight out of Big V...

Reply #286555 | Report this post

whatsgoingon  
Years ago

Haha - "this is international basketball". Give me a break. Summerton has been representing her country for 10yrs at international level. I'm sure Abby will one day be a good international player. When she loses a bit of weight and plays a consistant game.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/p/rpp//q/Abby%20BISHOP/pid/52827/_//players.html

vs

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/p/q/Laura%20SUMMERTON/pid/38419/_//players.html

MOD: Edited

Reply #286564 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

whatsgoingon - I would be more careful with what you say. Your post is potentially defamatory of a whole range of people.

Reply #286571 | Report this post

whatsgoingon  
Years ago

Your right XY - I withdraw my post and please accept my apology if I have caused any hurt.

Isaac could you please edit my post so that the two links are the only things left.

Reply #286574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correction... Summerton is 26.

And to put Bishop and Tolo ahead of her, who are you kidding? She may be slightly shorter, but has played a major role for Australia for the last 5 years at that height! Plus she runs the floor better than anyone else on that team and wont crumble when the going gets tough!

Whatsgoingon - Your comment was the elephant in the room and needed to be said. Well done.

Reply #286575 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I have removed the potentially defamatory comment. It may have been the "elephant in the room", but there is no place for it here on this forum.

Let's keep it clean.

Reply #286578 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I never put Bishop in front of Summerton. I asked who would you drop for Summerton? If you answer is Bishop then I agree.

Personally I think it's neither here or there. I see both of them as the 4th big off the bench behind Cambage, Grima and Tolo and would only get junk minutes.

Summerton may have been a key part for the past 5 years or so, but times change, new players arrive etc etc.

Tolo has gone for her defensive game. I don't think Summerton can play that role. 188cm v 196cm is a significant enough difference in height at the defensive end.

Reply #286583 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

I agree with you TR well said.

Im mean really fighting over 12th spot to really be scrimmage fodder?
Pick would be to take smeone who will proberly be there for the next 2 worlds after this, so get experience from this one and go to maybe 2 off bench in rotation in next worlds.
Seems a good blend of whats now and what is the future of the Opals to come......
No brainer really if you have any idea about basketball.
Very good side, now up to girls and staff to get it done.

Reply #286634 | Report this post

Charon 35  
Years ago

Typical of Boti to write about something he didn't see. He doesn't even make the effort to get out to Lightning trainings, and sure as hell wouldn't have gone to the camp.

Who is to say that Summerton didn't perform poorly at the selection camp and other didn't do a better job and beat her out.

And if Graf is smart she would be planning and developing the team for the next 2 Olympic campaigns while Jackson is around.

Reply #286637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754