Avv
Years ago

Greece vs Serbia brawl in Athens

Check out this brawl from the recently completed Greece v Serbia warm up match in Athens.

Can see perhaps a few suspensions resulting from this by FIBA which may carry over into the WC's especially for Krstic who throws a chair!

http://linky.com.au/ud6iw

Topic #23621 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Link to story for those who cannot acces the above link at work: http://linky.com.au/mv2p0

From the blog:

"A stunned crowd of 5,000 at the Athens Olympic Arena looked on as players from the two teams exchanged punches and kicks."

"Greek forward Antonis Fotsis had moved threateningly toward Serb guard Milos Teodosic after a hard foul, and Nenad Krstic of the Oklahoma City Thunder appeared to grab Fotsis by the throat."

"Krstic then threw a chair at Greek centre "Baby Shaq" Sofoklis Schortsanitis, who was pursuing him, and it hit Greek centre Yannis Bouroussis in the head."

By all accounts, the players continued to fight on their way down the exit tunnel. The eruption occurred not long after Serbian coach Dusan Ivkovic was ejected with two technical fouls for arguing with the referees.

Greece were leading 74-71 when the game was abandoned!

Reply #286582 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow. This is potentially a medal match-up too.

Reply #286586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its easy to call out krstic but if i had baby shaq coming towards me i might throw a chair or two as well.. all the same, its darn lucky he didn't poke someone's eye out of something..

Reply #286587 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If Krstic and a few others are rubbed out for many games (which they should be based on the video), then this could help Australia's cause!!!

I would assume FIBA would have to take a hardline stance given the severity of the player actions and the global media attention in the lead up to their marquee event less than 2 weeks away!

Reply #286592 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I was reading the Real GM forum on this incident and they have additional video links of what transpired.

Apparently Krstic is also being held by the police...

I wonder if FIBA will take action or not?

Reply #286595 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I've seen Serbians and Greeks go a thousand times crazier than that......

Krstic and Baby Shaq will be out for a while..

Reply #286602 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

Wow - i haven't seen backpedalling like that since Carmelo cheapshotted Mardy Collins (?)...

Good one Kristic.

Reply #286611 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

lol yeah Kristic was gold punchin baby shaq's back an shoulders then when baby shaq turns around Kristic runs pretty fast lol. the best thing is this probably helps the Boomers chances at the world champs

Reply #286612 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

With so many players involved what are people's thoughts on the likelihood of FIBA suspending both teams from the World Championships?

Reply #286614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The conclusion to the Greek league final a couple of months ago between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos was much worse than that. Flares being thrown on the court, at the players tunnel when they're trying to escape, down at the bench, riot police all over the place and a fire being set in a tunnel inside the stadium. No wonder Josh Childress & Linas Kleiza went running back to the NBA.

Is Greek basketball currently at it's lowest ever point?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/21134540/vp/37571314#37571314

Reply #286620 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #286626 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA have released a statement...and here is an excerpt:

"FIBA will take whatever steps are necessary against any individual player found to have been involved in this shocking incident. FIBA will not let this stand."

"FIBA, as the sport's world governing body, is now urgently reviewing last night's game and the circumstances leading to the violence."

"FIBA will not be commenting on the actions of any individual player ahead of that review being completed. However, FIBA wishes to make it clear that it will not hesitate to take the strongest possible action against any individual found to have brought the sport of basketball into disrepute."

FIBA Link: http://linky.com.au/j82bv

NBA.com link: http://linky.com.au/squtd

Reply #286627 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBA.com: http://linky.com.au/899wd

From the article:

FIBA...said it will review the incident and announce possible sanctions by Wednesday.

"It's not killing me, but I can't say I'm not a bit nervous," Krstic said of a possible suspension. "What keeps me calm is that I no longer can do anything about it."

Another Serbian player who could face sanctions, Milos Teodosic, said he was sorry about the incident.

"Sincerely, I'm ashamed about the fight, and I apologize to the people in Greece and Serbia," said Teodosic, who plays for Greek team Olympiakos.

Serbia coach Dusan Ivkovic said if Krstic and Teodosic are suspended, "We won't be able to make it through the group stage."

Reply #286838 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA is set to advise what if any sanctions are to be imposed on the players and/or teams before the WC's commence and are likely to be announced today.

Will really be interested to see whether FIBA stands up to be counted holds those involved accountable for their actions.

The outcome could really influence the prospects for both teams, and as a by product enhance Australia's chances due to the fact Serbia is in our group.

Reply #286982 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA has annoucned their official sanctions on 4 players involved in the brawl as follows:

- Serbian player Nenad Krstic is suspended with immediate effect for three games in main official FIBA competition which include the World Championships, Olympics and Continental Championships. The player is also fined a total of CHF 45,000.

- His teammate, Milos Teodosic, is also suspended with immediate effect for two games in main official FIBA competitions.

The Serbian Basketball federation will be fined a total of CHF 20,000.

- Greek players Antonis Fotsis and Sofoklis Schortsanitis are suspended with immediate effect for two games in main official FIBA competitions.

- The Hellenic Basketball Federation will be fined a total of CHF 20,000.

FIBA link: http://linky.com.au/svk68

Personally, whilst I think it is great that FIBA have taken a stance and enforced sanctions through suspension and fines, I think the sanctions are in effect far too soft.

These guys are supposed role models and their behaviour was totally unacceptable. Given the larger suspensions handed out for such behaviour in amateur ranks, just because these guys are professionals and representing their countries doesn't mean they should get lighter penalties - in fact it should be exactly the opposite.

I would like to know what others think on this topic.

Reply #287052 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would have rubbed Krstic out for at least all of the group stage games at the WC's.

Reply #287079 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would have thought that would have been the lightest penalty he should have received XY...

Reply #287096 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Probably. But I am pessimistic about these things. Don't think there was ever a chance they would rub players out for long enough to effectively end Serbia and Greece's campaigns.

Reply #287106 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

FIBA have sent a clear message. The message is that they are absolutely toothless and that abominations like the Serbia vs Greece brawl can continue unabated.

So Antonis Fotsis and Sofoklis Schortsanitis miss Greece's first two matches. Who do they play? China, then Puerto Rico. Ranked 9 and 11 respectively, these are the two most highly ranked teams in Group C, other than themselves. In that sense, the two match ban will impact them as much as is possible, but it still is unlikely that the Greeks will struggle to progress from the group.

Serbia, on the other hand, must be laughing on the other side of their faces. They will miss Nenad Krstic and Milos Teodosic for their first two matches against Angola then Germany. Then Teodosic returns to the squad for the third match against Jordan. Nenad will then return to the squad just in time for their toughest two opponents, Australia and Argentina. The bans are unlikely to impact their campaign at all.

Finally although 20,000 Swiss Francs is not an insignificant amount of cash, I doubt that either the Greek or Serb basketball federations are so cash strapped that the fine will hurt them at all. Consider; what were the gate takings for the match in which the fight occured?

For shame FIBA.

Reply #287108 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spot on AB4EVA.

Reply #287122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754