Jawoi
Years ago

Boomers vs France

@ 4:30 AM AEST Tuesday. anyone can provide link for live streaming?

thanks

Topic #23642 | Report this topic

hurley  
Years ago

if we take this one out, id start calling us serious contenders...

Reply #286826 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Australia Beats Franc 67-66 on gamewinner by Neilson and the assist from Newley.

Patrick Mills wasn't on court for final possesion, my guess is they were finding offence other than him.

Good close game thoughout with a big 3rd Qtr by Us then the french had a big 4th.

Good game it seemed, couldn't watch it but watched the FIBA livestats of it.

Reply #286828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric with another negative EFF. Maric holding back? Out of form? Or Boomers not utilising him well?

I was always concerned that Maric can only be effective in particular situations in particular styles of teams. Will we get much out of him in the World Championships?

Reply #286830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers 67: Mills 18, Ingles 13, Newley 10

France 66: Traore 17, De Colo 10

Two shockers from Diaw (3-9 FT, WTF) & Batum.

Reply #286832 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Another confidence boosting win...I just wish our games were not that close!

Reply #286833 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

well, u have to know how to win close games, and the boomers are doing that... i officially say it now, the boys r now contenders i think... anything can happen this year!

Reply #286834 | Report this post

millhouse  
Years ago

Maric will be on song come the WC games, keep in mind it's only his second game in this team and I'm sure it takes a while to learn the system and react to the other players on court.

Reply #286835 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #286836 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Another fine win. It is good that we are winning these close contests. I just can't help being concerned by our lack of offence. Apparently I'm not the only one:

SMH Link: http://linky.com.au/kkrtb

Also, Mills, as good as he is in some areas (ball handling, getting to the hoop, sometimes 3pointers) his passing seems woeful (he had six turnovers and only four assists) this continues his poor assist to turnover ratio from the Stankovic Cup. The other worry is the lack of our big men in the offence...Nielson was 2-2 shooting (why is he not more involved).

I think this team is good enough for the Quarter Finals in Turkey. I just wish they could score more easily.

Reply #286850 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Any win is a good win but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Looking at the box score suggests to me that the French did not play particularly well and did not play their starting centre.

Defense appears in place (which we knew would happen given the make up of the team) but do we read between the lines of Coach Brown's comments regarding the lack of protection of the ball (too many turnovers). It seems to me that he understands our weaknesses quite well however perhaps the message is not getting through to some players. Lets hope he has enough time to iron out these deficiencies on offense.

Other observations: Gibbo getting plenty of court action (and doing well)/ Barlow getting buggar all....Ingles also playing well, while big guys holding their own (at the moment).

I'm still not convinced we are a contender yet.....

Reply #286854 | Report this post

granstar  
Years ago

the reason why alex isnt play good is because mills doesnt feed the big man like a point guard should . He isnt a point guard he just looks to score all the time . and not feed his team mates . the only guy in that team that is a real point guard is steven markovic ... he is one of the best point guards in europe and he sits on the bench... steven would feed the big man and run that team like clock work . the only way austraila will do anything in the worlds .. if brown plays steven and he runs the point . serbia will kill as if he doesnt play because .. mills isnt good enough to match up to the top guards in europe .. mills is looking to play for a euro team for next seasons .. but he wont do well there because his game dosent site the euro style ... the only way we will do anything at the worlds and against and big euro teams
like serbia .is that brown play the euro guys alot and starts markovic as point

Reply #286859 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Steven Markovic is not one of the best point guards in Europe, and in the Stankovic Cup he looked like the fourth best point guard on the team.

Reply #286869 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Im concerned with the Boomers offense. Obviously, they have guys that can put the ball in the hoop, both inside and on the perimeter. But they need a feeder, and Mills isn't a guy who can do that.

Actually, trying to be a feeder is IMO out of his comfort zone. He has tried to penetrate the lane and create for his teammates but that has failed, hence the large number of TO's and the poor TO:Assist ratio

Reply #286874 | Report this post

Jawoi  
Years ago

it is an important factor to have two or more "go-to-guy" mainly when needed most in the game winning plays!

we never learned the lesson from previous tournaments like in Beijing. Times we've seen Bogut done all by himself that includes bringing the ball down the court.

Newley should have been the player that can do it. but he just dont have enough aggressiveness to do it.

I have written AIS right after the last Olympics on whether they can develop some athletic ones

Reply #286884 | Report this post

granstar  
Years ago

markovic is a great point guard in europe . just look at the awards he has won . in serbia . for most assist in a season . mills makes more turnovers then assists . what sort of point guard is that . go on the net and read about markovic and see what he has done in europe then talk . you have no idea

Reply #286886 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Show me one season where he was a star in Europe? Or the NBL?

Reply #286888 | Report this post

Jawoi  
Years ago

well, Markovic although balding but he is still young. a tall PG and a member of winning Emu Team that captured world crown alongside Bogut and Maric. but Markovic old plays is obviously missing, less energetic this time

Reply #286889 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Saying that Markovic is a star in Europe is like stating that David Andersen is a star in the NBA. Both are solid players that undertake their role on their team.

Reply #286891 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Methinks granstar is confusing Australia's Steven Markovic with Serbia's Stefan Markovic.

Reply #286901 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AB4EVA is onto something there I think...

Reply #286902 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice to see hm get some burn last night and score some points. Be interesting to see how the guard minutes are distributed.

Reply #286904 | Report this post

Jawoi  
Years ago

they've been looking here in this forum since i guess..

remember the idea of bringing in Markovic to Boomers line up started here.

and after reading about himself yesterday then suddenly he rose up to the occasion? :)

Reply #286909 | Report this post

Jawoi  
Years ago

and what about Mills? Patrick likes challenge. he's better playing as an underdog. the tougher the game it will be the better he will do it.

Reply #286910 | Report this post

Disci  
Years ago

Has anyone managed to find any photo galleries from that tournament?

Des

Reply #286924 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Well, there's this...

http://linky.com.au/2hla2

Reply #286942 | Report this post

Disci  
Years ago

Video of the whole game :). Thanks aussieboomers4eva.

Des

Reply #287017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754