thalo
Years ago

Boomers tactics

If the Boomers are going to medal at the 2012 Olympics, do they use the typical NBL/NBA style offence or should they play a traditional European half court offence? feedback, thoughts??

Topic #23646 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Thalo, I'd be interested to hear what style of offense you think the Boomers are currently trying to employ, and what you think they should focus on moving forward...

Reply #286856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Low post options are limited. A little Bogut or Jawai, but you won't get a lot down there. Teams won't double you, so there won't be any kick outs.
Paddy Mills, (maybe Damien Martin?) gives you a legitamate on ball screen option to force a mismatch, then comes down to decision making??
Newley, Ingles will rely on kick out 3's for their offence or coming off picks (not that suited).
Every one else are pretty much medium range jumpers.
Transition will be OK.
You will be perimeter based, and teams struggle to put points on the board consistently if they are not shooting lights out.
Execution, maybe some hand offs might create some scoring opportunities.
You will have to rely on tight defence and limiting teams to 65-70.

Reply #286857 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I think Bogut will make a huge difference in 2012, forcing the double team on offense and passing in the midrange-low post area. Not many of the top teams have a player as good as him in those areas and they are BIG plusses in international ball.

I also see this Aussie team as being very strong on the fast break and on defense. Once we get a John Rille type 3 pt shooter we'd be a top 4 team on paper.

Jawai will add size, defence and rebounding and not much else. If between now and 2012 if he focusses on his passing we'll be as good as any team in the big man department provided Andersen is still going (and in the unlikely chance that none of the other teams improve between now and then).

Ingles and Newley need to be as aggresive as Mills is at attacking the basket which will open up mid-long range jump shots for others nearly as much as having Bogut there would. I dunno what Barlow's role is now?

I really hope Adam Gibson is as good defensively at international level as he is in the NBL, but that's unlikely.

Reply #286875 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

with mills at the 1 spot the boomers offence can only play one way,which is mostly ok because it can be used as a dynamic change up,offensively.

the problem,as we go deep into the tournament will be if brown and co can swing between plan A and plan B.

is martin strong/good enough to crank our offence 180degrees the other way, and bring our bigs back into the game??

we got belted on the boards last night,which is not a good sign and the bigs also didnt put up any scoreboard presence.

Reply #286876 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, a lot rides on debutants Martin and Gibson, who effectively have to run the team.

Reply #286880 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754