Tiger Wooduck
Years ago

SOS - BasketballSA the ABA needs help!

When will BSA stand up and be counted to help the District Clubs present a better standard of basketball on the court in our premier competition.

Each year the standard of competition gets weaker, crowds dwindle and the better players move east in search of better pay and opportunities.

Player revolts are more common as Clubs deleiver the bad news that their program funding is being cut of the players need to do more to raise funds.

We no longer send the Grand Finalists to compete in the CABL playoff for winners of each state competition due to the cost of being associated.

With many Clubs trying to manage by reducing salary caps and other associated expenses why haven't BSA got a major sponsor on board.

The clubs have been bled dry as on average it costs about $40000 to run the ABA program and this is usually paid by Junior parents through junior fees.

BSA we need you!!

Otherwise the demise of ABA is imminent.

AM I OVERREACTING!

Topic #23656 | Report this topic

WestBearcub  
Years ago

I think BSA is waiting for the district clubs to do something but I don't think they have the common sense to realise they need to do something to or yes the ABL competition will slowly disappear

Reply #287006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We no longer send the Grand Finalists to compete in the CABL playoff for winners of each state competition due to the cost of being associated.

This tournament no longer exists.

Reply #287010 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

By all accounts BSA are seeking an additional nomination fee of $1,650 per club per year to help fund the running of CABL competition. Correct me if I am wrong.......

A major sponsor would be good. Can't BSA find one?

Probably easier to bill clubs, finding a sponsor could be like finding a sober teenager at schoolies.

Reply #287012 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

For someone to sponsor a team, they have either too much money than they can spend or they are looking for a return on their investment.

What return can a District club give a sponsor?

Reply #287029 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

ABA season makes money on one game and one game alone, the ABA Grand Final and BSA keep all the profits.None of this goes back to the clubs in it nor those that are in the comp.

You are right, clubs cannot afford it but they still get imports to play in it and they fund it from juniors and canteen and any other measn they can find.

If BSA is considering a "charge" of the amount mentioned, not one club would pay it.

It is sad that we no longer go to the nationals, it is sad that the level of umpiring is getting worse and it is sad that no one goes out to watch

BSA needs to do something but what have they done under the current CEO?

Lost a sponsor and not replaced it.
Never see him at any games to see first hand what is happening,except the Grand Final.

Clubs support the ABA all year round with volunteers to set up the stadiums and man the door, score table, stats bench and the courtside voice.In some cases it is the President of the club

What would BSA be setting a charge of $1650 on?
What do they do for this money.

Surley the $20,000 they make out of the GF is enough to cover their costs.

I read with interest that they are going to look at the format during summer.Crap!!

They will have a pissy 18 week season in 2011,as they have for the last 5 seasons.Nothing will change.

They wont make changes to attract a sponsor, because they are only interested in one game,the one that makes money.

Sorry, the cry for help from the current BSA staff is going to fall on deaf ears.

No salary to any players will force clubs to play juniors.

Sorry, Blah,Blah,Blah is what will come back from your cry for help

Reply #287047 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

GF take $40,000 - outlay minimal. Clubs pay for all costs during season - referees, court hire for St. Clair, Adelaide Hills, Mars, Starplex.
Basketball SA in their costing I believe debit about $40 per court hour (as they do for Junior State Championships) even where they 'own' the courts ie no cost to them for any court, but shows a huge loss - justifies moves to charge clubs more to compete.
They have not managed to find a sponsor since BankSA pulled out. WHY????
BasketballSA have been losing money in other areas (Juniors - programming - court allocation) this year.
Compacted by move of U20/21's from Fridays, and U12 & U14 div 2's from Saturday.
To bill the Clubs a total of an extra $16,500 is most perplexing when they give nothing back.
Clubs who qualified for the National Club Championships were subsidised in previous years - one of the reasons given for charging clubs the cost of referees, hired courts - but this has continued, despite the removal of the Nationals two years ago.

Reply #287078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you figure the GF makes $20-$40k profit?

Maybe it does I don't know, just wondering how.

Reply #287086 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Income

2500 approx at $7.50 ( set as per Adult and Child entry and then averaged) $18750
Car Park 600 approx x $5 $3000
Hang Time 600 approx x $2 $1200
Canteen Nil all goes to DOME owners
Bar Nil all goes to Dome Owners
Nearly $23,000 revenue

Expenses
Stadium Hire x 1 night ??
Drinks for Invited Guests ??
Stats People ( Free)
Score Table ( Free)
Trophies and Flags ??

Not hard to see where the money comes from

Agree with CJ, clubs in BSA owned and run stadiums take brunt of costs for St Clair, STARplex, MARS, A Hills

I always thought the income from the GF went to supporting teams that went to Nationals but that was paid for by BA from the fee they charged to be in ABL League

BSA has done nothing to promote the sport except take money from it.

Does the money from the GF go towards the running of SPulse and a few entries?
The funds may go to support functions and expenses of State Teams

BSA is stale on ABL and see it as a PITA ( work it out people)

BSA will now have the Youth League to run and then put the ABL down another rung on the list of things to do

Reply #287104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of that is accurate

Reply #287109 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

that is why is says "approx"

Reply #287110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so you've guessed about every detail with no knowledge of what actually happens and then used that to have a go at BSA.

That sounds a little harsh to me

Reply #287112 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

No, I didnt stand at the door counting people nor the car park counting cars.

Use your head next time when people are trying to get accross the facts.

Fact One : BSA keeps the profit from two games GF
Fact Two: Clubs pay for the other 190 games and take all the risk
Fact Three: You should ask the question of who keeps the game going

Reply #287119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact One: GF Income is nothing like what you are suggesting.

Fact Two: Clubs also generate income from the other 190 games with little or no cost for venues operated by BSA and BSA do have costs relating to the running of all the games played.

Fact Three: Without BSA the sport is dead in this state. Everyone needs to work together. The clubs do a lot of work but so they should. BSA do a lot of work too. Both can do more.

Reply #287120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon - youve missed heaps of expenses...

Ushers / Game Night staff
Security
Score / Stats (They don't do it for nothing!)
Costs to produce "Hangtime" - not free!

That's just off the top of my head.

Also, whilst BSA may own some of the stadiums used during the season, a fairly basic accounting principle is called depreciation - just because they own the stadium doesn't mean it doesn't have a cost.

Reply #287133 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

WHAT????????????????

Scorebench people getting paid????????????????

And all the times I've done it for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #287137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its about time sturt and others made a break away comp and get others to join.......

Reply #287139 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

This sounds like BNT, they take all the money and provide nothing back.

Reply #287140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fact Three: Without BSA the sport is dead in this state"

Fact Four: Without the district clubs BSA is dead.

Reply #287227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about quoting the whole of the point!?

"Fact Three: Without BSA the sport is dead in this state. Everyone needs to work together. The clubs do a lot of work but so they should. BSA do a lot of work too. Both can do more."

Notice I gave the clubs some credit.

At the end of the day though a rouge competition would mean no Nationals, No Government funding, no SASI program, no BA Insurance scheme... should I go on?

Reply #287355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754