Curious
Years ago

Clearance Query

I was reading the by-laws on clearances and noted that if a clearance occurs after playing a game in a season you may not play the club you are cleared to until the next season.

Howver in special circumstances the competition (?) committee can overrule that and allow you to play in the same season with the new club.

Has anyone experienced this and under what circumstances did the committee rule in your favour.

Thanks

Topic #23662 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

This rule does not apply to seniors although not sure what the rule is for the new U23's if you are talking about juniors - it is really up to the club you are leaving to give their consent to BSA to grant an exemption. But you would need to have a very good reason for wanting the clearance and let me tell you that bagging the coach or the club you are leaving generally wont get you a clearance.

It then brings up the issue of fees - when you sign and Intent to Play and pay the amount required to sign up your intent you are in effect signing a contract which says you will be with the club for the next 1 or 2 (depending on the club) seasons eg summer and winter. They are going to want fees (especially if you have played any games) and they are entitled to charge you a full fee, before granting any clearance.

So my advice is dont play any games or sit it out whilst you make up your mind if you are thinking about changing clubs.

Reply #287035 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Thanks - that is what I was thinking is the best option. What is frustrating in this is that clubs want this money but are not prepared to advise who potential coaches may be or possible squads you may be placed in. Surely they would have a reasonable idea of that before taking your money.

Reply #287036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had player leave mid season, they was granted permission to play for the other club but it was in a lower senior division.

Reply #287045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My son has been offered a higher division at another club than current indications from the current club. Coaching is better at the other club. I was thinking of making him give it a try at the current club to see if he will be placed in the same division but I am worried if he doesn't he will lose a season standing out of basketball. You may ask why to stand out but he will be better off training at the new club rather than a lower division at the current club.

Reply #287055 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A lot of the clubs would have a fair idea of who their coaches are - and the squads, you should ask your JDO or the person in charge of allocating coaches to teams. Generaly I would hope that if you were upfront with them about your reasons for requiring the information then they would be upfront with you. It may also open up the communication as to what the real issues are.

Reply #287064 | Report this post

READ  
Years ago

Anonymous be careful of these kinds of promises of higher divisions etc.

I'd also sit down with your current JDO (if there is one) and find out what direction your current club is taking first, as well as where they see your child fitting in the long term. Often players move clubs only to find they end up getting the same results.

Also don't assume coaching is better at the other club. Get the facts. Find out their background, experience, qualifications playing and coaching the game. Look at the complete coaching lineup too. Most parents are pretty inexperienced and rarely do their research to get facts. Get this from both clubs, don't assume anything. Then, make an INFORMED decision.

Reply #287075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754