skull
Years ago

Boomers Tactics

having just watched the V jordan game there are a couple of things i would like to question about coach browns tactics.
firstly,with our guard rotation of martin,gibson etc why wasn't there more up court defence EARLIER??
i dont see the point of having a defensive style guard line-up and not using it!
the guards actually looked flat,too many pre tournament games too close to the w/c's maybe??

secondly,our defense around the free throw line was nothing short of atrocious!!
you expect the d to break down here and there, but not on nearly every possession.
we were in defensive trouble as soon as the ball was across the center line.

in the end...big heads up to maric and anderson.

i still can't believe jordan lost that game....they did lose it...we certainly didn't win it!

Topic #23677 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

54 points came from Andersen, Maric and Nielsen. Most of those points didn't come from the offense, but the individual skills of the players. Brown seems to be regressing to NBA-style individuality rather than developing an offense with motion and ball movement.

And don't get me started on their D.

Reply #287340 | Report this post

jawoi  
Years ago

a typical Boomers game relying so much on defense and hardly execute their offense. you cannot blame Patrick Mills throwing shots too many times as other players wont do

Reply #287341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown has always been crap! From the days of the Kings I've never rated him as a coach. Boomers will not win anything as long as he's at the helm. It doesn't help that all the Boomers players are over-rated by the Australian fans and media. The only decent player Australia has is Andrew Bogut and he's not playing.

Reply #287343 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i didn't go into our offense originally but here i go.....
remember at the olympics when p.mills left everyone in his wake,he got 'head and shoulders past the world'
wtf is our offense operating 35ft from the basket when we know what mills can do??.
force the defence to rotate, and take what it gives you!!if it doesn't rotate,fuckin nail it!!
also maric,when isolated was unstoppable.
they started to double him but we couldnt capitalise from the weak side.

jordan certainly got the bounce of the ball for the whole game........we couldnt take a trick!!

Reply #287344 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

I don't think Mills is the offensive force people believe him to be. What he did at the Olympics (basically he put 20 points on the US) has been detrimental, in my opinion, to his development. He has to take a fair amount of shots to get his scores and by doing so he freezes out (discourages) his teamates. In the game against Jordan he looked great getting to the rim but pretty ordinary (actually pretty poor) shooting the midrange. Australia's offence needs to be shared, and far more structured. Slow it down if need be, bang it in, kick it out, bang it in again. I thought the bigs were great against Jordan...we have to know our opponent. We should have played a half court offence all day against Jordan who we killed by our superior size. I still think our offensive rebounding is attrocious. I have been reading a few of the reactions from the major broadsheets today and I wasn't aware of our very poor outside shooting or the fact that we couldn't score more than two baskets inside the opening 6 minutes.

All will improve I hope in time for the tip off against Argentina tonight.

Reply #287346 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Yeah, definitely needed a full court press earlier and more frequently. Whenever we ran it (three times) they looked hopeless.

We also needed to fall back into a zone more often; man to man is fine but the rotations were terrible. That being said, I guess we were happy to "live" with their three point shot, which happened to fall on this occasion.

Don't like the double high-post offense. Need to run normal high-screen offense a let Patty slash and pass/score.

Very impressed by Maric.

Reply #287348 | Report this post

cmon  
Years ago

Brown can't coach - simple really. Bit like Neil Craig - robots.

Reply #287350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

robots indeed - i guess when you've been coaching under someone ex-cia for so long its unlikely you're going to retain much sense of the joy of the game..

Reply #287351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the double whammy of ocurse is that its hardly the kind of basketball that's going to endear the game to a broader audience

Reply #287352 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

Brown needs to get the ball to Maric run everything thru the man mountain..

Reply #287353 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Don't worry, that's Brown's main game plan. Give the ball to your star player and hope individual brilliance will get you over the line.

Reply #287354 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I would not be surprised if Jordan marked their Australia and Angola games as must wins to progress to the final 16. This would have provided significant motivation to "pinch" the game.

The Boomers on the other hand marked it as a definate win which could explain why they did not get out of 3rd gear until the last quarter. Perhaps they were saving themselves for tonight's game and the rest of the tournament. They learnt a very important lesson tonight, take no opponent for granted.

Rebouding very average, little box out (the rims appear very 'bouncy' too) and help d non-existent. Too many times Boomer players watched the Jordanian players get to the basket without any effort to challenge the shot.

I thought one particular play clearly defined the contrast in each team's attitude to the game. One Jordan player was clearly never going to stop Maric from scoring but he did by hitting him with a hard foul under the basket and putting Maric to the line. He made him earn his points. The Jordanian team played the game like it was for the title of World Champions, the Boomers looked like they were going through the motions.

A better opponent will hopefully bring out a better Boomers performance.

Reply #287366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets see how the Boomers go against a decent strength Argentina team. A lot different to the C grade team they sent to Australia, which had everyone talking about how awesome the Boomers are...

Reply #287376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Who's everyone by the way?

BA did a great job of selling Boomers beat world number one to the media, and credit to them, but I think most bball followers understood it was a development series for both countries.

Reply #287381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

development series? that's some euphemism..

Reply #287473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754