?
Years ago

By-Law Clarification: Overtime

OT in juniors: is it 3 or 5 mins?

Topic #23718 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure just wondering how many games to they have to play so they can make finals. If a play start mid season can they still play finals and how many games do they have to play.

Reply #288048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

That is a very tricky question and depends on what competition you are in and if you follow the by-laws or the erroneous interpretation of them by the Committee.

You need to play 40% of minor round games though there is a variation to this for injured players. The issue is what is a minor round game for competitions which were split into separate divisions during the season. Unfortunately in my opinion and in the opinion of many others the recent letter clarifying that point is wrong.

Reply #288055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 mins for juniors, 5 mins for seniors

Reply #288062 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

where is the clarifying letter? where can I get a copy of it and how has this been communicated to the members of the individual clubs? Is it posted on BSA website? My club passes on very little information to its members and we are often left in the dark. And my child has been injured for the last part of the season is from a team that was split into a separate division and the team is in the finals - and instead of risking the teams eligibility as we dont have all the info. Have decided to sit out of the games (now that injury is healed) rather than risk the teams chance of winning a GF.

Reply #288067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

Rather than just assume you can't play you need to get your club to contact BSA with all the relevant issues such as injury and games played etc etc and ask for clarification from them. The by-laws and the letter are in the document and news section of sportingpulse.

Good luck - I hope your child is not penalised like some others!

Reply #288070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My club passes on very little information to its members and we are often left in the dark."

That's your problem right there...

Reply #288084 | Report this post

Vesta 12  
Years ago

5 minutes for everyone

Reply #288108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

b) Major round games in all Divisions will have extra period/s in accordance with FIBA rules until an eventual winner has been decided but with the following exceptions;

i) The Junior Divisions up to and including Under 20/21 shall run extra period of 3 minutes duration.

ii) All Senior Divisions shall run extra periods of 5 minutes duration.

Straight from the by-laws

Reply #288233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - that doesn't mean much if they come straight from the By-Laws based on several recent issues!!

Reply #288237 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Funny this should be mentioned. There was an under 14 Div 4 girls match played by Forrestville and Sturt at Port on Saturday.
Tied at full time.

Played extra 5 mins and still tied.

Played a second five minutes and one team won by a close margin.

Would have been a different outcome if it was 3 mins. Can someone clarify the rule?

Reply #288261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a direct cut from the curent by-laws which the winter season was played under. Easy enough to find on sportingpulse under documents
3.2. Extra Periods
b) Major round games in all Divisions will have extra period/s in accordance with FIBA rules until an eventual winner has been decided but with the following exceptions;
i) The Junior Divisions up to and including Under 20/21 shall run
extra period of 3 minutes duration.
ii) All Senior Divisions shall run extra periods of 5 minutes duration.

I think that someone who court supervises at Port Adelaide has let these teams down by not making themselves familar with the by-laws especially under finals.

Reply #288263 | Report this post

Years ago

happened last thursday at the port as well - north v western - played 5 mins - one team won in the last 2-3 mins of O/T

Reply #288270 | Report this post

Opti  
Years ago

It is unfortunate that they are making these mistakes allowing an extra 2 minutes, but in reality the countdown started at 5 and both teams knew what that was, so you cannot look at the result with 2 minutes to go and say that the team in front after 3 minutes should have won!!!

Reply #288472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I can.....

But it is academic. Forrestville girls have been wiping the other teams off the court with fantastic goal shooting ability all season.

In this game the sturt girls were down 2 regular players, and they played a very disciplined game that suprised Forrestville.

The ref seemed to be making all sorts of fancy calls, so we trusted that he would know how long the extra time should go.

Reply #288680 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754