Anonymous
Years ago

Why isn't Kirk Penney In the NBA?

Anyone know why Kirk isn't in the NBA.

Topic #23721 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

I reckon he will be after these world champs and is a certainty to make the all star 5.

Reply #288085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a little thing called defense perhaps?

Reply #288087 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

because a lot of NBA selections are based on players speed and lateral movement in drills ect, and not how well they play in a game situations.
Kirk deserves a spot on an NBA team and would be an asset to most teams. I like how you can directly compare players on the FIBA website. Kirks stats so far make most of the NBA guys playing look average.

Reply #288088 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Kirk lacks the ball handling and foot speed necessary at that level. He is not really a shooter off the dribble so finds it hard to create his own shot.
As a spot up shooter in the mould of Steve Kerr perhaps?
In some ways it is easier for someone who has the licence and is expected to score and teamate's set you up (Tall Blacks as an example) rather than when you don't have the licence and are a bit player getting less opportunities.

Reply #288091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Bill.

Reply #288092 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

He could play in the NBA it would take a GM and coach to take a chance on him.
NY, NJ, GSW or Spurs could use him

Brett Brown may mention him to Popovich.

I am hoping Brett keeps hassling Pop to give Mills, Maric and Ingles a chance :)

Reply #288093 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

If Jason Kapono can earn big bucks, sure Penny is worth a minimum contract?

Reply #288095 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Maric no, Ingles maybe as a point guard.

Reply #288097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiba vs nba. Much different. Enough said. Oh and the defense thing...

Reply #288100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Kirk enjoys getting the minutes in the NBL rather then sitting on then sitting on the beanch like he did few years back.

Reply #288104 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

A bit like Gaze probably lacks the athleticism, but will dominate WC's and olympic tournaments

Reply #288105 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Easily could play nba, everybody knows that, its just opportunity and timing. Had some bad back injuries too, he has kicked ass in summer league nba also.

Reply #288110 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Jonno- very good comparison with a.gaze.

they both had similar plus and minuses in their skill sets and also similar physical setbacks.

on the other hand,they have also shared the label of being two of the best shooters outside the nba.

Reply #288129 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Fred Hoiberg can play in the NBA

U know Kirk can

Infact when he was in the NBA they did conditioning drill son all the rookies and Kirk was far and away the man

Reply #288131 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

With someone like Penny who has been in the NBA before,
they tend to judge that player on what he did when he was in the league then,
rather than what is doing now.

Reply #288140 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

There is no doubt he has the offensive game to play in the NBA.
Everyone is saying defence is his weakness, and in some regards I understand that.
However, I think its something that he has really worked on, and I saw that this morning when he really locked down Batum into 5 points (2/8 FG), 6 rebounds and 4 turnovers.

Reply #288164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric in the NBA? lol

Reply #288165 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He doesnt lack speed, in fact he is very quick, and his handles have miproved dramatically. His defence is much better for FIBA style, ie chasing over screens, sliding etc, but in the NBA he wpuld need the right matchups, but there are plenty of them.

He would need to play for a team that moves the ball though or else his IQ would be wasted - he isnt really a spot up shooter, there is much more to his game.

Reply #288167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MacDub Just a heads up that was Abercrombie who shut down Batum.

Reply #288183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same reason as Mills and Jawai, he is not good enough!

Reply #288212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA is much more about running you're best shooter or scorer OFF picks and down screens. Abercrombie, Vukona, Cameron and Tait all look to get Kirk shots on most possessions.

In the NBA, the game is much more about individual brilliance and talent. This is where he struggled. The bigger, longer and quicker Americans were able to help out in the lanes as well as cover him with length and speed.

He will continue to light up the World's, NBL and New Zealand friendlies but his only real chance at big bucks is a European contract

Reply #288220 | Report this post

Kiwi Bob  
Years ago

First off Jason Kapono is 6'8 where Kirk is lucky to be pushing 6'4'. Kirk looks great when everyone is trying to get him the ball and he is the main guy. He doesn't do anything special besides shoot. Can he handle the ball? Not really.Can he play D? Has yet to be seen. He's 30-31 this year. He had his chance at the NBA. NBA teams don't want a 30 year old shooting all the shots. He could be a great player making tons of money in Europe though.

Reply #288227 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Penney has done Europe already.

Reply #288347 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you are talking about his game when he was in college Kiwi Bob - time for a re-scout.

And he is about 6'5. I dont think his game is best suited to the NBA though, he is best in motion whereas he would prob be used as a spot up shooter again in the NBA, and that isnt his game.

Reply #288350 | Report this post

KiwiView  
Years ago

It could be said that Kirk scores a lot of the Tall Blacks and Breakers points because the offenses are designed to run through them, however he has shown that this is not the only reason in his D-League outings. For a 6-5 30 year old to drop 40 in one of the few games he played in America this year is a feat not to be laughed at. Being a Kiwi, I am torn between wanting him to return back to our Breakers (however that win over Perth without him gives hope...), and doubling the number of New Zealanders in the NBA!

Reply #293322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #350720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754