Jack Toft
Years ago

Maher Theorem

Everyone has heard of the Kevin Bacon theorem. In Hollywood, all actors have a "Bacon number" indicating their degrees of freedom away from Kevin Bacon. If they have been in a film with KB, then they get a "1", if they haven't been in a film with him, but have been in a film with a person who has, they get a "2".

While Kevin Bacon is not the centre of the Hollywood universe (The Man with the Golden Gun, Christopher Lee, is) nearly all actors are within 3 degrees of freedom.

So bearing that all in mind, and with players moving around the NBL, what about the NBL's equivalent? I propose that there is a "Maher number" and rather than being in the same film, would apply to being in the same NBL team. For example, Andrew Gaze hasn't been in the same NBL team, but would have a Maher number of 2 (i.e. Copeland has played with Maher, Gaze with Copeland)

I would suggest that most NBL players would be within a few degrees of freedom of the great man.

My challenge to all you poindexters out there is simple.

Q1: What is the average Maher number of the current (2011) list of players?
Q2: If Brett is not the centre of the NBL universe, who is?

Topic #23747 | Report this topic

Juror 12  
Years ago

Q1: 1 point something

Q2: Bob Katter

Reply #288413 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^^^LOL

Reply #288415 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Katter's getting the blame for everything

Reply #288431 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Well for one it wouldn't be the centre of freedom it would be the centre of awesomeness Lol

Reply #288455 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson would have been up there as the NBL's equivilant. Played for 5 different NBL teams over a 20 year NBL career

Reply #288508 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If Ronaldson was the centre of the NBL universe, it would be too much to bear...

Reply #288510 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

agree with Jack on that one. no way is barge ass the centre of the NBL universe.

Reply #288517 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

And it would be a big ass universe!

Reply #288518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The gravity!

Reply #288520 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Ronaldson's a better choice for the centre of 'assomeness'.

A 1-club guy like Maher would double your average number at least I would think. I'm guessing 3 is the average Maher number, whereas I reckon 2 would be closer for Ronaldson.

Maybe the calculation should be who exactly is the centre of the NBL universe (as defined by their KB-number equivalent)?

Key criteria - mulitple, high turnover clubs?

Reply #288531 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

KB equivalent???

Maybe Kevin Brooks???

;-)

Reply #288534 | Report this post

Was speaking with Stephen Hawking the other day and we discussed the Ronaldson theorem, and Stevo stated that Ronaldson couldn't be the centre of the NBL Universe as
1) his ass is a black hole, and
2) there isn't enough space in the centre if Tony's in it.

PS: Bill and Ted's theory is that the centre of the universe is..?

Ok, off to yard duty now.

Reply #288535 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

LOL @ Pickles, barge ass jokes never get old i swear.

Reply #288555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754