Japorms
Years ago

Brett Brown's coaching strategies

what are Brett Brown coaching strategies these days since he left Sydney Kings in 2002?

remember he's more of NBA coach than being a 'FIBA' type coach.

team USA did not even bother to bring their best NBA coach since recapturing their supremacy in Beijing Olympics. its Mike Krzyzewski the collegiate coach whos effectively running the US Team program to success.

meanwhile Brett Brown has the freshes NBA coaching background among the coaches in the ongoing World Championships in Turkey. and i wonder if its good or bad for the Boomers style of play in a 'FIBA' tourney such this one.

Topic #23753 | Report this topic

kman  
Years ago

I think give him 4 more years , if no success then move him on and get a european coach. We gave Goorj a long time and got nothing atleast Brown has strong international connections.

Reply #288608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown's got 2 years left on his contract and after what BA did to Smyth we gave Goorjian 6 years for not much in the way of results so at the very least they should give the guy until the Olympics.

Reply #288611 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you are going to replace him you have to make sure you have someone good lined up. Gordie McLeod would be an excellent choice for mine if his health permits.

But unless you have someone of that quality it is best to give Brown next year at least. If the Boomers lose to NZ again then it is time to move on.

I dont like the idea of a European coach though - look at the national teams around the world, with the exception of Asian teams they are all coached by people from their continent.

Why? Because they understand the culture, the style of basketball, they know the players. Unlike soccer we have good basketball coaches in Australia, and outsourcing the job to someone now distant to this country has not been a success so far.

Reply #288614 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with Paul on this. We need to give Brown a chance to learn from his mistakes. If we fail in the Oceania qualifiers, then his time has come.

The next coach we have in any case needs to be a local IMO. Our coaches know our style of game and play to those strengths that lie within.

Reply #288617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very strong argument could be made that Krzyzewski is the best coach of the sport at any level.

It doesn't matter that he's not coaching in the NBA. He's a great coach.

And Brown has coached Ginobili, Oberto and Parker at San Antonio which makes him more "FIBA" than most.

Reply #288621 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Whatever we do, PLEASE NO MORE SHANE HEAL!

Reply #288622 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Shane Heal being a Boomers assistant coach for mine is a joke. The guy has little head coaching experience, and his one and only chance at the NBL level was a dismal failure.

Beveridge would have been the No.1 candidate in front of Lemanis with Heal not even entering consideration.

Reply #288623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wondered if Heal was mostly in there for his personal brand, to try and bring some media exposure to the Boomers?

Not sure what media coverage was like here in Australia, but I didn't notice a single thing about the World Champs while in the US. Only remember it was on because of Hoops and BA press releases.

Reply #288626 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Millions of visitors from the US on the official site, but it's a big country I guess.

Reply #288628 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

We need continuity for the Olympics, particularly for the players. It is hard enough to adjust to a new coach as it is let alone with the limited time the team gets to spend together. And remember we didn't have Bogut - I think top 16 is about par for that team - top 8 would have been over achieving IMO.

I'm not saying there aren't any problems, but I think continuity will give us the best chance to fix those problems.

Reply #288629 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

I'm with you Juror 12 - I look at the top eight teams and ask who could we realistically expect to regularly beat? Its a pretty short list. Doesn't mean we can't beat them but we have to do things to ensure we never have a bad day if we are to move from our current 9-12 position to the 5-8 bracket (an enormous leap if you look at some of the personnel on those teams).

I've never been a Brown fan but I watched the Germany game and thought we are making strides. I had to turn off the Slovenia game. I don't think Brown is the guy but I don't have a better solution. (Was Goorj on the Chinese staff for this tournament?). If for our next outing Brown can have 75% Germany/Argentina games and only 25% Slovenia games then we persist - if not, I think we've got to look overseas for a genuinely competitive World-game coach.

One of our problems is that our next outing is pretty much London isn't it?

Reply #288631 | Report this post

Capt. Dan  
Years ago

Yeah I agree Bevo would be good, get rid of Heal all he does is cause trouble...

What about Maric? Do we all think he's Worlds calibre?
Who would you have played on a serious note (baring in mind injuries to other international players)

Reply #288645 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would still have had Maric in the side - he was All-Euroleague First team for heaven's sake.

My two changes to the final team barring injuury would have been to have Bogut in for Baynes and Bruton in for Markovic.

Reply #288652 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

There seems to be a lot of hate for Maric. One thing that cannot be argued though is that without him the Boomers would unquestionably have lost the first game against Jordan. If we had lost that match, our campaign would have been finished before it had begun. From that standpoint alone, Maric's inclusion in the squad is a tick in the pro column for Brown.

Reply #288654 | Report this post

millhouse  
Years ago

considering Maric had little or no prep time with this team I think he did a good job, the problem with the current team is that we have an outside-in focus to the offense, eg twin high post because we just don't have the inside strength from the bigs to match it with the euro power teams, and we still rely on way too many 3 pt shots, SLO figured that out from our lead up games and just shut down our 3 and killed us in reverse

Reply #288696 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maric had to be in with Bogut and Jawai out and Anstey retired. He wasnt in great shape and perhaps more attention could have been paid to how Partizazn used him last year.

Reply #288703 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If Brett Brown had a full squad he would have done a lot better. I'm not a big fan but i do believe in following through a commitment. He failed miserably in tactics & in size (Barlow for Gibson or atleast try a bigger line up)but if you had CJ or Boges or Jawaii (soft decision from him) he could have done better. By the way fellas got off Hammers back, he's a legend of Aussie hoops & deserves a coaching stint!

Reply #288705 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Heal may have been a great servant as a player for Australian basketball, but he has never been a great coach, and therefore does not deserve a coaching stint.

Reply #288707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Brown did a great job. First mistake was the assistants HE chose. All three are perimeter oriented guys. Lemanis and Heal have been failures as head coaches and neither are known for their defensive savy. Yes I know Gorgie was also a guard but he has shown in both NBL and junior levels that he knows how to get results from teams without stars by adopting the right strategies. Bevo also has more than proven himself qagain showing a great grasp of an all round team game. Over his time he has only the one superstar (Bogut at the junior worlds) to work with. Brown I have said before looked to me that he based his whole offense around Mills being able to get into the lane off hand offs or screens from his horns sets or side pick and rolls. When that didn't happen there was no plan B as there is no way that Gibbo or Martin can get much out of those sets. As Paul has said many times Euro teams could easily scout us and as a result we had to take a lot of contested shots resulting in out poor FG%. If I had my way I would look very close to home for a new head coach. He can be found not in Aus but not too far away. His success with NZ has proven him, The only question is weather he could get the Boomers to over achieve given that they a far better line up player for player, but dont have the 1 international shooting star like Penney.

Reply #288708 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anon are you saying the kiwi coach should coach the aussies?

Reply #288713 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i thought browns performance was ok and worthy of another...just.
the heal and lemanis thing is a joke.

on one hand BA is saying they rewarded the nbl players for their great nbl performances,then on the other hand nbl coaches like bevo,gleeson and Mcloed were overlooked for coaches with mediocre/poor nbl performances.WTF (what message is that sending to future boomers coaches!!!!)

i know brown had to try for the highest finish he could get at the w/c's but realistically without bogut,bruton and jawai we didnt stand a chance.
also,we need a penney type player......should have blooded goulding...not markovic.

on another note,not sure on the ingles/newely thing anymore...there seems to be a little bit of upside in ingles, but these days i can't see it in newely,it seems like if all the planets line-up then brad will turn up and play.

maric did as well as he could,a big body,no range,no variety in shots/moves(easy for other bigs to guard).

all in all an average performance by an average team/players/coaches.

Reply #288715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having Newley stand in the corner for most of the sets was never going to get the best out of him, neither was an offence that allowed the defence to have 3 or even 4 guys in the key at most times.

Allowing players to take their defender one on one suits Ingles ok at club level, but he isnt good enough to do that consistently at international level.

Reply #288719 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Going into the Championships I was happy with the defensive effort and transition scoring Brown was getting out of the Boomers.

With that style of play, I could understand the decision to start Gibbo and include Martin in the team: we were going for speed and aggressive pressure defence to play to our biggest offensive strength - Mills in transition, ably supported by Ingles and Newley.

Problem is, we got to the championships and the team slowed down, only trapping and playing really aggressively in short spurts. I don't know if it was because they were trying to conserve energy for the next game, or because they thought the refs were calling it too tight, but it didn't happen often enough for us to get away with playing guys like Gibbo or Martin at SG.

With the way we played, we would have been better off going with Newley and Barlow a lot more and sitting Gibson down.

Speaking of which I thought Newley was really out of sorts in this tournament, and yet his 2PT% was 61% !!

Similarly: Ingles 2PT% 62.5% ; Mills 47.2% ; Nielsen 54.3% ; Maric 56.1%; Ando 46.2%.

Like all of our key players apart from Ando, it was their horrible 3PT% that killed us.

IMO we were okay, but without Bogut and Bruton, I think most of us would have been pretty happy if they made the top 8.

To me, this is a team with some talented players, but it needs a different mix to be successful. The Boomers have to find a shooting guard who can... well... you know... shoot!

In the absence of that, Brown needs to dream up an offence that will get Newley and Ingles shots closer to the basket and gets Maric the ball close to the basket so he doesn't have to put the ball on the floor more than once. The big fella is a very good scorer, but he was a TO waiting to happen with 17 in 6 games!

Other than that, we need to improve our rebounding a little bit. Ando was good tho with 7.5 rpg and Nielsen was ok (but excellent defensively and leadership wise) but Maric was very poor for his size. Newley was good, but Ingles and the other guards needed to do a better job of snaffling those long boards.

Turnovers were huge for us too. To be expected with a young PG like Mills, who is more comfortable scoring than running an offence. I do think Mills will continue to learn and improve in this area though.

So to sum up:
- cut out the turnovers
- improve rebounding a little
- find an offence that plays to our strengths more (Hint: 3pt bombs are no longer a strength!)
- find a SG who can shoot
- get one A Bogut back into the lineup

Reply #288723 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Newley, Barlow and Worthington have all showed they can shoot the ball well if given the right looks.

Newley had a horrible shooting tournament but he shot 43% in the Turkish league from deep and 41% in Beijing. Barlow is a good stand in the corner and shoot guy, Newley is not.

Reply #288724 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

some points -
barlow should have gotten more court time,his game has really matured.
he played with PURPOSE for most of the tournament.
he was in passing lanes,took the RIGHT shots and defended like his life depended on it.
i feel the coaches didnt recognize that early enough/at all, and stuck to rotations that were not EFFECTIVE.
to play a trapping defence without getting scored on every time at the w/c's was always going to be difficult for us.
our guards need to be long defenders(not 6ft)
3 and 4 need to be longer and fast and able to read play/take the right risks.
in saying that,our best pressing combination -
martin(6'2),barlow(6'9),ingles(long,fast),wortho(good play reader/stealer),anderson(good defender,mobile).

Reply #288730 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps it is time that Basketball Australia recognised that the powerhouses of international basketball are in Europe and took a leaf out of FFA and looked at an experienced European coach.

Since FFA have done this, the Socceroos have twice qualified for the World Cup and their ranking has improved. It would be a radical change of thinking but worth investigating. Current NZ head Coach Nenad Vucinic has had a number of years coaching experience in Europe and all things considered, NZ achieved the same results in 3-3 as Australia.

Reply #288744 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Where was James Harvey?
Guy might act like a loony, but he can shoot the hell out of it!

Reply #288754 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Ushiro - how much of Australia qualifying for the World Cup stemmed from the change in the route to qualification. i.e., no longer havign to beat a South American team to get there.

Also, Socceroos, now have more frequent and wider range of international games in between major tournaments and World Cup qualifiers, than was the case 10 years ago. That has given them more opportunities to beat teams that they didn't play in the past and improve their ranking.

Also, how successful have the Socceroos really been at the past 2 World Cups? At this year's Cup, I have to say I expected a better set of performances, especially as the best Australian players were available for selection and to play. My view is that their results at the Cup in 2006 and 2010 were consistent with the level of performances they showed in just missing out on qualifying for the 2002 Cup and possibly to the 1998 World Cup as well. They just had tougher paths to get there in those years.

That said, considering an overseas coach is something BA has to do, when the job next comes up. I just don't expect a change of coach to have a sustained impact on Australia's results without a sustained change in international level competition for the Australian team.

Reply #288761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we need a Coach (coaches) that know what each player can bring to the team (eg newley cutting/slashing, Barlow corner three ball etc) and also knows their limitations (Mills poor shot selection and decision making generally needs mature guard alongside him, Ingles again poor shot selection great game changers but are too streaky at this level- needs to be controlled) and then a coach whose high standards are going to demand that the team know their structures and sets both offense and defence extremely well (to eliminate poor decisions from guards and create easy buckets)...this didn't happen..how many times was there 18 secs or more on the clock and the someone jacks a rushed shot (mills, ingles, nielsen, anderson)?? how does this happen at this level ???except for the fact that the players looked like they were given the green light for a shoot a round

Reply #288769 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Peter - the Socceroos qualified for the 2006 World Cup by defeating Uruguay. Australia topped Asia, having to win quite a few games, so not just an easy path. The results for the 2010 World Cup first round were the same in 2010 as 2006, ie won 1, drew 1, lost 1. The only difference was that they did not proceed due to inferior goal difference.

Australia over achieved their ranking at the 2006 World Cup and did around expectations for their ranking at the 2010 World Cup. However I too would have liked to see them do better but was realistic with several top players carrying injuries or had a poor preparation due to injury.

What has Australian Mens Basketball Teams achieved since the 2000 Olympics - won a Gold Medal at the commonwealth Games.

Reply #288770 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Anon, how is Lemanis a failure as a coach? Please elaborate?

Reply #288779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because NZ breakers on paper are stacked with talent but have only been to the semis once and last season failed to make the playoffs

Reply #288798 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Last season Kirk Penney was injured, CJ hadn't had a good off season with injury ect and Storey turned out to be a lemon.
Who wouldn't have signed a guy who had played that many NBA games? Unfortunately he had no heart and only showed small flashes of what he was capable of, I don't blame Lemanis for that, although he could have drop kicked him a bit quicker. Despite that, NZ came agonizingly close to the playoffs and were in hot form and the end of the season.
Sure they have a solid roster but so do a lot of other teams, it's a good league, look how close things were for most of last season.

Reply #289041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nor sure about Barlow standing in corner waiting to get open. At that level you either have to have an inside presence, and kick, or a penetrating guard and kick.
This team didn't seem to have either.
Mills looked to score as his first option, poor decision as his second option. He set the tone for a confused and rush to beat the 24 sec clock, wild and out of control offence. He has the credentials and reputation but was not up to it. He would have been better used as an impact player,instant offence type off the bench. He might not have appreciated demotion but the coaches job is to take players and the skills they bring and work an offence around that.eg.NZ, far more effective with half the talent.
Gibson is not a PG (too slow) at that level or a SG (doesn't look for it). Why they selected Martin and didn't use him is a mystery.
Newley is at his worst in the half court so he was ineffective. There was no transition.
Ingles streaky good and bad. All bad this tournament.
Anderson and Nielson stand around at 15' waiting for someone to get them the ball when they are open. But there wasn't that somone. So they were forced to do what doesn't come natural to them, try to make something happen.
Hard to read an offensive game plan, and just what they did to prepare one!

Reply #289048 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

We need a coach who knows our players and our style.

Ironically, two of our most successful European performers, Maric and Newley, underachieved (or were most underutilised) the most while Brown attempted to Euro-nise our style of play. This tournament highlights how we need a coach who really knows our players and our style. It appeared as if Brown has been too remote to fully understand the abilities of our lineup.

A 9th-16th finish isn't a disaster, nor is 9th-16th a huge underachievement, but the way we went about it, IMO, was not coming close to getting the most out of our lineup.

Reply #289049 | Report this post

dags  
Years ago

I think bogut was the missing key... to implement a running game (which would suit mills,ingles,newley) you need to defend hard on the perimeter knowing your back is covered inside, and rebound defensivley to open up the transitition... maric, ando & neilson were all admirable but none are of bogut's standard...i don't think jawai is a good enough rebounder to have made a difference

Reply #289113 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754