Outsider
Years ago

Off Topic - Adelaide Oval: Your greatest memories

With all the talk about the Adelaide Oval redevelopment i have been thinking back about some of the greatest moments the oval has seen.

For me the most recent would be the Australians come from behind ashes win.

What are your favorite sporting memories from Adelaide Oval?

Topic #23780 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

sign at the cricket:

"Australia's spin triplets. Shane Warne. Tim May. Bob Neill"

Reply #289067 | Report this post

Colin  
Years ago

Hookesy lobbing balls over the fence with ease.

Reply #289073 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Hookesy record was a golden moment.

It is truly sad that one of the greatest South Australians to swing the willow has gone. I think he made his debut for West Torrens A's as a 14 yo Underdale High schoolboy.

Reply #289074 | Report this post

just home  
Years ago

hookes and flipper hitting some crazy 450-600 odd run stand in the sheffield sheild

watching Lillie and Thommo in 1975

north v port GFs 71/72

sturt 5 in a row 65-70

the bays in 73

how they ever managed to fit 55,000 for sanfl GFs is beyond me

ian chappell

malcolm blight winning the magery and having it presented Gf day in 72

Reply #289083 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I did work experience there when I was in high school with Les Burdett. Champion bloke, best week of my school life easily. ; )

Hooksey.

AB Knocking up 205 against the Kiwis.

The Hill.

Reply #289085 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Marty Mattner getting like 15 tackles in the SANFL finals against skinny Richie Douglas and skinnier Bernie Vince.

Reply #289086 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hooksey and nobes teaching the vics in 84,

graeme hicks freakish 100 against australia in a 1 day match where he put one over the bradman stand

Reply #289087 | Report this post

1. Playing mini-league for the bays at halftime.
2. "Boony" (the SA Boony, not the real one).

Reply #289088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the blow up canoe dude at the first ODI under lights... Caaaaaaannnnooooooooooo....!!

Reply #289109 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Australia v Sri Lanka, 1985. An unbroken third-wicket partnership of 224 between Australian batsmen Dean Jones and Allan Border against Sri Lanka in Adelaide was then the highest for any wicket in ODIs. Australia's score of 2 for 323 was the highest team total in the WSC and its victory by 232 runs was the greatest winning margin. Border's hundred of 78 balls was the WSC's fatest.

The sad and memorable part: Jones on 99 facing the last ball ..... it's a wide but they run anyway. No run for Jones, they swap strike and he's left stranded a run short.

An unblvbl day of cricket.

Reply #289115 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

McIntire and May and the rest of the tail holding out for a draw giving us the sheffield shield.

Getting Rahul Dravid out in the adelaide oval nets only for him to knock up 200n.o. the next day.

McGraths catch

Watching tendulkar send mcgill to all parts of the ground

Reply #289126 | Report this post

moose  
Years ago

Sturt beating Port 16-16 to 8-8 in the 1966 Grand Final after losing the previous year by 3 pts in front of a record crowd of 62,500.

Reply #289134 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Siddon and George batting for 3 hours to draw the game and win SA the Sheffield Shield. They scored 3 runs in 3 hours and no one cared.

Hooksey and Wayne Phillips putting on 500 runs

Boof's final 100 in a One Dayer with Matthew Elliott

Reply #289158 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As a young kid watching Sir Garfield Sobers playing for South Australia - for he bowled a bit of fast, then medium, later in the day spin.The next day hit a couple of hundred runs, a hundred in a session and the like.
I'd heard that a Baseball pitcher could throw a curve ball.
One time ago - half an hour delay starting, overcast and SA Captain gave Sobers the new ball with 7 slips and 2 leg slips. He was unplayable really - the ball swung 3 feet. I disremember the exact figure he took in his first spell - about 5 for 11 or so.

Reply #289170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754