Isaac
Years ago

NBL confirm iiNet naming rights, three year deal

NBL rebounds with iiNet
The resurgence of the National Basketball League has continued to gather pace with Basketball Australia announcing today that iiNet, Australia's fastest growing Internet Service Provider, has signed a three-year deal as the Naming Rights Partner for the NBL.

The agreement will run through the end of the 2012/13 season and will see the competition officially known as the iiNet NBL Championship.

BA’s Chief Executive Officer, Larry Sengstock, unveiled the partnership at today’s official launch of the 2010/11 NBL Season, which was held at the prestigious Quay Restaurant on Sydney’s harbour.

Sengstock said the new partnership with iiNet gives the NBL competition an incredibly strong platform for growth.

"We’ve made some major strides in moving the NBL forward in the past 12 months, and it’s vital as that process continues that we work with strong and supportive partners who share our vision," said Sengstock.

“In iiNet we now have a naming rights partner who is clearly established as a forward-thinking and innovative leader in the business world. We believe we share a lot of brand synergies and they will complement us perfectly as we continue to reinvigorate the NBL brand.

“They are committed to assisting us leverage the partnership and provide us tangible momentum and real confidence to further invest in the NBL brand.”

Speaking at the launch, iiNet Chief Sales and Marketing Officer, Sam McDonagh, agreed that the rapidly growing telecommunications company was a perfect fit for the competition.

“iiNet is thrilled to be partnering with Basketball Australia - it’s a massive sport at a grass roots level and now it’s making a comeback at the highest level of the game,” said McDonagh.
“We know what it’s like to have big ambitions, iiNet started in a garage to become the leading challenger for internet services in Australia, so we’re keen to take basketball in Australia to the next level.

“Australians love sport and together we have an opportunity to help bring basketball to households across the country. Trust us – it’s going to be big,” adds McDonagh.

In recent months, the NBL has made some significant announcements, including the return of the league to free-to-air television via a five-year deal with Network Ten and its digital sports channel ONE, as well as the resurrection of the Sydney Kings as the NBL’s ninth team.
The NBL has also recently signed AND1 as the league’s Official Apparel Supply Partner of the NBL and its teams; together with Spalding as the Official Ball of the NBL.

The iiNet NBL Championship Season tips-off on 15 October, and all nine teams will gather in the Northern Territory from 28 September to 2 October to participate in the official 'Top End Challenge’ pre-season tournament.

As per standard Basketball Australia practice, the financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Season logo:

Topic #23793 | Report this topic

Wave  
Years ago

Excellent news
Now I know my source is reliable

Looking forward to the season start......

Reply #289191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The league and team sites are currently being rejigged. One banner image suggests the iiNet/NBL slogan will be "It goes off!" which might backfire if people are yelling that out if their connection goes down or live stats stop working. Good deal though - three years, brave Australian company (I think currently in court after defying US media demands?), etc.

Reply #289193 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Brilliant to hear. i wonder if they will be providing streaming or any benefit like that. this is going to be a big season

Reply #289197 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - I'd like to know wheteher a side benefit may end up be games being streamed live online. Even for a small fee, I would definitely consider it.

Reply #289208 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Look at Gibson's shoes. Slippers? Kung-fu slip-ons?

Reply #289223 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Pity the name of the company isn't allNet

Reply #289227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL.com.au has a typo..it's Wollongong, not 'Woolongong' (in the news > select team)

Reply #289229 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@isaac they are nike air jackie chans

Reply #289230 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The slogan should be...

"Nothing but iiNet!"

Reply #289240 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

LC wasnt that joke in another thread? or are you just trying to make sure that we all saw it?? lol

Reply #289247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the company that has been the most vocal against Conroy's extreme internet filter or is that Internode?

Reply #289250 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon, its virtually all of them. and good on them. i swear if that internet filter comes in im moving country. but thats a debate for another thread me thinks

Reply #289251 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

but in direct answer to your question it was iinet. i read an article and they were originally involved with making the idea work until they realised it wouldnt work and it slowed down the internet a great deal. thats when they pulled out and are now opposed.

Reply #289252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool, thankfully the NBL isn't in bed with the ACL (Australian Christian Lobby, the ones helping to design Conroy's filter) because then I would cease all interest in the NBL!

Reply #289262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know if the 36ers will continue streaming games on the web for fans that aren't on ONEHD/Ten?

Reply #289268 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Also, confirmed this afternoon iiNet sponsoring -
The WNBL for the rest of this year and the next 2 years.

Reply #302723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754