Bo Hamburger
Years ago

US teams engaging fans through mobile technology

Came across this interesting article the other day about how US pro sports teams are increasingly using mobile technology to reach fans: linky.

(Love the anecdote about 'Student Flush' at the end)

Yes, there's a difference in size/scale of there compared to here, but how much of this could the Sixers/NBL borrow from?

Topic #23873 | Report this topic

Oberon 17  
Years ago

I have always thought it would be good to have a free wireless network at the game for people to be able to access an internal website. The internal website would include live stats from the game (and other games if its possible to get them without every device having to access the internet) - I love my stats and what we get on the scoreboard in qtr breaks is good but would like more if possible. I am sure there are others who can think of things that could be included on an internal website. Sponsors advertising etc

Clubs are trying with twitter/fb and youtube. It all comes down to money though, the stuff which is being done now is being done by people who have other jobs in the organisation. Is it worth spending another $50,000 on another person full time to be doing it - will there be enough return on it to pay for it. I don't see any media savvy players in out team at the moment who can add to it really either.

Reply #290064 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Oberon 17 perhaps on the right track, but does the club really need to provide the network/infrastructure.

If they provide the stats and relevant fan stuff that would be useful during a game most fans if they were going to access it on a phone would have a smart phone and their own ways of accessing the net anyway.

Plans aren't overly expensive and the data used would be minimal so most could/would use their own data and not put the onus on the club/stadium.

Reply #290071 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

I guess you are right DJ, but if you have a work supplied mobile phone they will get pretty pissed at you for using the data for that - well I know my boss wouldnt be too happy if I start using my data allowance for that instead of work related things

Reply #290075 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

We all know that at half time in the office at the Powerhouse, they print out heaps of copies of the games stats from the NBL web site.

Wouldnt be hard for the NBL to create an iphone app that would list that same data. They could extent other stuff to it later.

If the NBL dont do it soon, they will miss the boat similar to what has happened with the AFL. Phone uses at AFL footy matches now mostly use the MMM iphone app to see the footy stats. Someone else is likely soon to get an iphone app out there using NBL live stats also.

Reply #290076 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

I wonder how this goes My Sport itunes app by sporting pulse who run do the fiba live stats who does NBL live scores. I will be installing to see how that goes.

Perhaps NBL can get a skinned version of it organised. In the cricket world there appears to be a common app that at least England and Australia use, the England one was free and the AU was $$. They both appear to cover the international stuff so I got the free England one.

Reply #290088 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

Dammit pays to read the whole product description - doesnt work for NBL :(

But it is the same system so it should, they have just chosen for it to not work

Reply #290089 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Well if the NBL have blocked it,
hopefully it is because they have something better organised.

Reply #290100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754