Juror 12
Years ago

What if Mills had stayed in College?

I remember last year prior to Mills getting drafted there was a lot of talk about whether he should have stayed at St. Marys for one more year.

In hindsight he may have been better off staying in college for a couple of reasons:

1. St. Marys ended up playing in the NCAA tournament this year - which would have given him even more exposure (although this could also have impacted negatively on his stock if he had a bad tournament with lots of porr decisions and turnovers)

2. The PG's drafted in the first round in 2010 were Wall, Bledsoe and Vasquez and that's it. Compared to his draft in 2009 where he was up against Rubio, Flynn, Curry, Jennings (All top 10), Holiday, Lawson, Teague, Maynor, Collison and Beaubois (All first round).

So assuming he had stayed at St. Marys and had a solid season do you think he would have secured a first round spot and guaranteed contract in the 2010 draft?

Topic #23879 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer and I think he is better then Bledsloe and Vazquez.

Reply #290142 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

If he had returned to St Mary's and hurt himself he would've been a first round draft pick.

Remember he was a first round on most mock drafts before his injury, and without the ability to showcase his game in the NCAA and being rusty from the broken hand..

I bet if he could change things he definately would've gone back to college

Reply #290151 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

he wld have got his degree

Reply #290152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said at the time it was a mistake for Mills to come out early he would've been a first round pick. Stuffed his NBA career which looks over. Schenscher would've been a first round pick if he had have come out the year Georgia Tech made the NCAA final but going back for another year killed his stock and Aaron Bruce also sholud've come out earlier. I think AJ Ogilvy hung around a year too long too.

Some of these guys get shocking advice.

Reply #290179 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills before his injury was a near certain 1st rounder...he got advice he would still go first round but we know how that turned out.

Same goes for AJ Ogilvy - he should have nominated for the draft after his first season, but in the end got shafted by his own coach!

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing!

Reply #290181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills has a hybrid game.
Not a PG not a SG. He is a scorer but needs the ball in his hands to do that.
Decision making is where his game suffers.
Turnovers, and not creative TO's either plague his game. Usually poor reads and unforced TO's are typical.

Another year may have helped curb some of this, but at St Mary's he had to score, and that's the one part of his game he doesn't need to focus on.
I think if he could develop a floater or shot going towards the basket it might help his control and decision making.

Reply #290225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if! What if! The point is if they're any good they would still get drafted and have a chance of a decent career. Problem is they are not good and no NBA teams want them.

Mills had one good tournament in Beijing and all of a sudden he's the next Chris Paul. What Mills did was in 2006 and has done nothing since.

He is over-rated by all Aussie media and fans.

Reply #290375 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, 2008.

Reply #290379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754