Coaches
Years ago

2011 State Coaches

Just saw on Sportingpulse the 2011 State Coaches have been announced.

U16 boys: Jarrod Clarke (Sturt)
U16 girls: Marcus Wong (Sturt)
U18 boys: Michael Chrisan (Sturt)
U18 girls: Troy Schroeder (Norwood)
U20 men: Tony Casella (South)
U20 women: Simon Pritchard (Norwood)

Congratulations to all of those appointed, especially the 1st timers. Anyone got any thoughts on these appointments? Any idea who is likely to be named assistants?

Topic #23883 | Report this topic

Phantom  
Years ago

No Chas for the U18 boys

Reply #290232 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Congratulations to Kelly Pacis & Robyn Wooden for been appointed the 2010 State Ivor Burge Coaches for the Men & Womens teams as well

Original Poster failed to include these two coaching positions in the original post.

Reply #290233 | Report this post

Coaches  
Years ago

Whoops. My apologies for the oversight. Yes, congratulations to those involved with IB as well.

Phantom, I also thought it was unusual Chas didn't get the U18 gig again?

Reply #290234 | Report this post

europa64  
Years ago

Chas didn't apply. I think there was only one applicant. Good luck to Michael anyway, he will do a great job.

Reply #290235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but Ivor Burge is not the same as a Junior Nationals. No offence.

Though club or origin of coaches was a little interesting too:

U16 boys: Jarrod Clarke (South)
U16 girls: Marcus Wong (Forestville)
U18 boys: Michael Chrisan (Forestville)
U18 girls: Troy Schroeder (SA Country - Pt. Augusta maybe)
U20 men: Tony Casella (South)
U20 women: Simon Pritchard (N.C.T.)

Also curious if anyone else even applied for any of the above roles. 1 maybe 2 surprises but all in all a fairly decent and well deserved group.

Reply #290241 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why is it interesting anon? who are the assistants?

Reply #290244 | Report this post

just home  
Years ago

is that the same wong coach u18 div 2 girls at forestville ?

Reply #290268 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

you are wong from sturt

Reply #290277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Troy from Norwood, he has been metro coach for a few years now didn't realize he was associated with SA country.

Reply #290279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troy has been with norwood for quite a few years now, he originated from whyalla... Great coach

Reply #290293 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

grt coach and has done a good job with the Metro 18 girls the last few years , so I don;t see the link with the country girls

Reply #290311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Anonymous sniping.)

Reply #290346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point was that Troy came from the Country and was already a good coach before he moved to Adelaide.

Also that when you look at the originally list you'd get one perspective of which club/s develop the best coaches, until you look at where those coaches have come from.

Reply #290352 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

"Sorry but Ivor Burge is not the same as a Junior Nationals. No offence."

Sorry Anon but that is a load of shit for any coach that has been away with these teams. Australian teams get picked from this tourney so how is it any different.

Reply #290356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinders I'm sure the coaches that go treat it like a Nationals. Just like the coaches that go with teams to Nunawading treat it like they're at classics.

They're not the same and you only have to look at the experience of an Ivor Burge coach in comparision to the experience of the Junior State coaches to realise they're different.

I think it takes an amazing amount of patience and skill to coach an Ivor Burge team. I don't mean any offence to that group of players or coaches. I just don't think its equal to a Junior State team appointment.

Reply #290358 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Anonymous - You are right in saying that it takes an amazing amount of patience and skill to coach an Ivor Burge team.

Though your reasoning an Australian Ivor Burge team is not really an aussie national team either likes the boomers or opals is floored if its based on the coaches alone. I guess go one further and say that our wheel chair australian teams that go away dont play in real world champs tourneys. Give me a break anon.

Reply #290367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinders obviously you're involved with this group so taking my comments personally.

Let me try and explain what was just a passing comment.

the Ivor Burge tournament and the S.A. State team obviously have their place in the basketball calendar.

One of the unique aspects of basketball which no other sport in the world can make claim to is the fact basketball really is "Everyone's Game"

Men, Women, Intellectually disabled, Physically Disabled (both wheelchair and non-hearing) have access to play the sport at the highest level possible.

But every tournament is different and every type of the game is different.

Ivor Burge is a great tournament but do I consider it the equal of the Under 20, Under 18 or Under 16 Nationals, no I do not. And while it may not be PC to say, I am sure that even those involved with Ivor Burge would accept that.

I personally do not believe the Ivor Burge tournament should be played as part of the Under 20 Nationals but that's just my opinion.

I never claimed that the Ivor Burge National team wasn't a real national team. Nor the wheelchair team. But like it or not they're limited to a very small section of the community and are not on equal with the Boomers or Opals.

Like I said it may not be PC to say it but it's fact.

Reply #290369 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I think their point is that you could've erred on the side of being a bit more inclusive perhaps. Someone made mention of a couple of extra congratulations being due and then the original poster simply congratulated them rather than slipping to "well, technically..."

They're '2011 state coaches', right? For the sake of congratulating those involved, surely we can just leave it at that?

Reply #290373 | Report this post

giraffe  
Years ago

Also Anon.

To assume that only someone involved would take offence only adds to your ignorance. I'm not involved and I took offence.

Reply #290396 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

By the way, I'm also not involved and definitely took offence. However it did spark some rage in me. Not sure why. But Isaac is right. Are they representing State = Yes

Reply #290398 | Report this post

blah blah  
Years ago

You know it seems that there is a substantial amount of Sturt bashing on various topics here.If as is widely broadcasted their is only one applicant for the job and that applicant is from Sturt, then how can you say that it is a monopoly run by Sturt. What is wrong with the other clubs putting foreward some names to help the selection of a wider pool. and stop the whinging.

Reply #291089 | Report this post

Vesta 29  
Years ago

Gee Blah Blah you sure know how to spoil a party, was an interesting post until you dropped this little gem. Ouch.

Reply #291309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Blah Blah there is this perception and we can't be bothered wasting our time

Reply #291316 | Report this post

Castro  
Years ago

Other than Sturt Coaches, what coaches have had success both in SA and interstate?

Troy Schroder, who is a State coach.

Marc Wallis who was a State Coach.

Tony Cassella who is a State Coach.

Steve Knight who was a State Coach.

Simon Pritchard who is a State Coach.

Name another.

Until clubs and coaches understand that they need to show results, they shouldn't expect State Coaching positions.

Reply #291318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Castro - where do you mean show results. In the local district competition or what. Last I knew it was impossible to show state team results unless you were a state coach!!

Reply #291320 | Report this post

ariel97  
Years ago

#320 - I think the point is that experience and success at local level and at Classics etc, helps greatly. It's a fair point. The only other two I can think of are Arnott and Berry, but both of them have had a go at State. Lynne Holland maybe - but she's been a State asst. It's a fair point - there really aren't any coaches around who have the runs on the board, who should be considered.
In any case, when there's only one applicant, it doesn't really matter anyway. If people don't apply, they can't get the job!

Reply #291321 | Report this post

Castro  
Years ago

Yes anon,

At State Champs and Classics.

If you want to go and coach at a National Championship Tournament, you need some runs on the board.

Reply #291323 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

I think it also helps to do your time as an assistant to a state team. I have done this and feel that it adds great experience and a good knowledge base for what is expected if you want to apply as a head coach.

Reply #291324 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

'If as is widely broadcasted their is only one applicant for the job and that applicant is from Sturt'

Isn't that he definition of a monopoly - only one competitor?

Bit like Basketball SA - if you want play basketball for South Australia, can you do that any other way than throuhg BSA?

Reply #291329 | Report this post

Rhea 88  
Years ago

More like only 1 consumer.

ie If only 1 person was buying a single product, you can't really complain when the supplier chooses to sell to them.

Reply #291330 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not my area but I too heard about there being just one applicant.

Perhaps Blah Blah there is this perception and we can't be bothered wasting our time
Sounds awfully defeatist.

It's somewhat akin to sulking about government without having exercised a free right to vote. Can't really (rightfully) complain about someone's choice if they were only given one.

Reply #291341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perhaps Blah Blah there is this perception and we can't be bothered wasting our time"

With an attitude like that, I'd suggest you don't have what it takes to be a state coach anyway!

Reply #291364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not defeatist at all. In fact I am not in the least interested in being a state coach but one has to question why we only have one applicant. One conclusion is people don't think they will get a look in. Some of the best coaches are not those that don't necessarily win state champs but have generated the best improvement and development of individuals and the team.

Instead of asking for applicants why not approach potential future coaches and nurture them as well. Outside the box perhaps but why not!

Reply #291367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been an assistant and to be honest have no desire to do the top job. Perhaps people think other things in their live are more important hence why there are not a lot of applicants. Takes a big chunk out of your your year and is it really worth it?

Reply #291375 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I bet that if they relied on approaching potential coaches, they would cop even more on here based on who they left out. Surely if you are interested enough, committed enough and motivated enough, you will apply?

It's probably healthy that people are aware of the single candidate this time - might encourage more to go for it next time.

Reply #291376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One conclusion is people don't think they will get a look in."

Concluded by people with defeatist attitudes, who don't have the desired character to coach any team, let alone state teams. More likely it is the fact that non-basketball life is close to zero for the preparation period (about 6 months for 16s/18s, 3 or 4 for 20s) and they have family/other interests that that time is slated for.

Reply #291379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point on approaching coaches and getting flak for it is someway off as coaches are a nod and a wink now and it's widely accepted that only anointed coaches apply. Given that we have a high performance coach manager in Mr G I would think it reasonable that he appoints coaches or has a large say in those appointed.Therefore, state is okay.
Where the problem lies is that there is not enough new/old coaching talent at SASI where coaches can learn more about their trade and this more than the state coaches is the real issue.
Every club needs to be represented by at least 2 coaches at SASI and this should be a rolling coaching tenure of say two year slots not the existing boys club of same SASI coaches for the past decade.

Reply #291389 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

This boys club thing is just getting old.
I sat on the junior committee in the BASA days for many years, and I can confirm that for many years the coaches were selected by the committee not NG, I think this structure is still in place.
Sure, in these meeting NG puts forward recommendations, but the selection process was agreed by all.
At a guess I would say 60% of the positions were filled automatically due to only one nomination.

Reply #291391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon# 389,

NG has asked each club to have coaches come out to SASI sessions. Numerous times at the coaching directors meetings. Each time clubs have not been able to find people willing to make the commitment.

Keep bleeting, the same argument keeps getting put up. And has already been dismissed as untrue.

Reply #291394 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

If your coaching a state team, then your probably already involved with SASI, you would also be coaching a club team and working a job. Doesnt leave much time for anything else. Perhaps the State coach should forgo club committments and focus on State duties. Put your State squad into a senior competition for game time and experience of playing against bigger and faster bodies. More people might apply if they could drop club or SASI committments.

Reply #291397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this message is not getting through to all the coaches who may be interested. What people think is happening is not really happening.

Instead of going to the clubs why not advertise like they do for state coaches. Perhaps even allowing some younger coaches to participate or be mentored.

Reply #291412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess at the end of the discussion, people should sit down, write a letter to the BASA board with some proposal on what they would like to see...

See after all BASA is there to help all basketball clubs and therefore you the members have a say. If you want it to go thru your club then use your club rep and get them to put it up.

I am sure if there was more people applying then there would be more discussion on those coaches who missed out, but that isn't here so I am lead to believe that there really isn't that many people applying...Shame to say the least as there are very good coaches at each club, and that is not having a go at the current batch of coaches who are in jobs now.
Well done to them for applying to get the jobs and I know they also give time at SASI and in club's.

Reply #291413 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who are the assistants??????

Reply #291415 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

no-one knows then - do the coaches appoint their own? or do they use last years?

Hey that would mean that the poor bloke you guys have been bagging on here for being the only applicant would have to be his own assistant coz he was last years assistant and him being the coach this year is just that, a natural progression - go figure!!

Reply #291436 | Report this post

cal77  
Years ago

#436 - Nobody is bagging him. The fact is he was the only applicant. That has no relevance to whether or not he will do a great job - which I'm sure he will.

As for the assistants, the panel is going through that process at the moment. Hang in there, all will be revealed.

Reply #291441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754