Isaac
Years ago

NH: Ablett to announce switch to Suns

From The Age:

Gary Ablett Jr will today announce he is joining the Gold Coast Suns on a five-year deal worth close to $10 million.

The Geelong champion will line up with his new club at Melbourne's Crown Complex at 12.30pm to make the announcement.

The Cats will be told of Ablett's momentous decision this morning with manager Liam Pickering expected to meet Geelong Chief executive Brian Cook to personally break the news.
Anyone surprised?

Topic #23906 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

No but I hope this can be done amicably and professionally for once. Last year's Burgoyne and this year's Bock, Krakouer, Brown and Rischitelli episodes (amongst others) were so unprofessional - on both sides - that it's time someone showed these bozos how to behave. A press conference from Geelong AND Gary would go a long way to maintaining the incredible respect and dignity that he and his family have in Geelong. Do it right and everyone understands and almost accepts (eg Josh Carr). Do it wrong and end up as the next Nick Stevens pariah.

Reply #290543 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

IMO Bock ticked all the right boxes. He fronted the playing group to explain his reasons and held a press conference with the crows. He came out once he was signed rather than waiting until the end of the season to end all speculation. What more could the man of done?

On the other hand, Krak's defection was a disgrace from what was reported - a text msg to the club from his manager 5 minutes before his press conference witht he Coast.

Reply #290550 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agreed Jake. Bock was very professional about it, Brown did not do anything wrong (even when quizzed on the Footy Show), and from reports, Rischitelli was pissed off about being dangled as trade bait for the walking knob last year.

Krakouer was a joke, and being a Port supporter it felt worse, but I would even feel sorry for the cows if Bock had announced it like Krakouer did.

Ablett seems to have more class.

Reply #290557 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think he should arrange a 2 hour TV special with foxsports called 'The Decision' - the good people of Geelong will appreciate how informative it will be.

Reply #290561 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

the doctor..ha ha.

"Well Mike Sheehan, I'm taking my football talents to Warwick Capper's house".

Reply #290563 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gold = the doctor!

This was a done deal ages ago givwen the fact that Ablet was never able to confirm his intention to remain at Geelong.

Could the once mighty Geelong now be headed for a fall from grace?

Ablett - gone
Coach Thompson - 'almost' gone
Milburn - likely to retire
And a few others under the microscope or looking for chances to play regular senior football elsewhere...

Reply #290571 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I think people are being a little quick to write them off. I still have them 4th for next year. Agree that Bock handled everything professionally. Krakouer's was the only real debacle.

GC will be pushing for finals next year. I'm calling a flag within 4yrs.

Lol at DB haha

Reply #290578 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

You would have to blame the players' managers for how a club was informed (or failed to be informed) about a decision to leave. They should be advising on the most appropriate timing and format.

I thought it was interesting that Brett Burton got stuck into Bock, when he is leading the negotiations with the AFL to bring in free agency. Double standards?

My view is that Bock and Ablett made the right decision - they have family to think about as well. It's a no-brainer

Reply #290590 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Good bye Gazza. Won't be the same player at GC. Don't blame him for going. Actually believe it will be good for my beloved cats. About time 4-5 oldies have now got to go. Get Sander5on in there coaching and get the Menzels etc in the magoos up and running in the A's. They are exiting and I have no doubt we will still be a top 4 team.

Reply #290593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep I agree Burton needs a kick up the arse. Bock did everything right withhis departure and when it came down to it he was on $400K a year with the Crows and the Suns offered him $750K a year on a three year deal.

You'd question his sanity if he didn't sign with them.

Reply #290599 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Get the hell out. Having an understanding of why Bock left is different to saying it's acceptable to be disloyal to the club that gave you a start any time you are offered more cash. Birdman needed to send a message to the rest of the group and I applaud him for showing the leadership and doing so.

Reply #290605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol what are you 12yo?

He needs to be "loyal" to the club that gave him his start but if he wasn't playing well he would get delisted. Don't get sucked in by the Crows/team company line, too many on here do it enough as it is with the Sixers. Go and ask all those players the Crows have delisted over the years about loyalty.

Is Goodwin the captian of the club disloyal by signing with a Victorian club to be an ass. coach? You seriously think the Crows wouldn't have offered him an ass. job?

They offered Bock nearly double the money and Burton that loyal Crow now works for the Brisbane Lions. Where was his loyalty to the Eagles in the SANFL who gave him his start, they could've used him next season?

Reply #290610 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Come on X...

Free Agency is upon is in the AFL. Loyalty is out the window.

Also, as much as I don't normally back up an anon post, #610 is right, if Bock was playing average, the cows would be quick to delist him.

As was mentioned before, Burton is head of the PA, and pushing for Free Agency, yet has a sook when one of his teammates take advantage of it...Please.

Reply #290613 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'm not criticizing Bocky I am defending Bird.

I completely understand Bock's decision but I would be extremely disappointed if none of our leaders took a stand and sent the message to the rest of the group that it's not all good to abandon your teammates for money.

Don't give me the tag of the emotional, unrealistic supporter who's angry at Bock for leaving. I'm not. I was the one saying I understand his decision when 90% of fans were calling him a heartless sellout. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Bird did.

What happened here is different to the free agency that the AFLPA was/is pushing for. Go have a look at the restrictions imposed by the AFLPA to stop clubs from being screwed. It's far from the same thing.

Loyalty is dead? Tell that to Kurt Tippett, Patty Dangerfield and Chris Knights. All rejected similar offers to stay with their team.

As for Goody and Bird. Goody wants to be a senior coach, to do that he needs an apprenticeship as an assistant coach and there is no doubt a lot more to learn by going to a different club. He wouldn't have been offered that position at the Crows. You think we are going to sack Viney? Clarke? Bickley? There was very little to zero benefit in Goodwin staying at Adelaide. If he was the difference between finals and no finals I have no doubt he would have. Birdman is in the same situation. Steven Schwerdt isn't going to be sacked and there is no way for Bird to further help the club. Neither of those decisions display a lack of loyalty.

Reply #290622 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hope all of that wasn't aimed at me there X..

Loyalty isn't dead, look at the players that are re signing with their teams. I think it is more about us as fans getting our heads around the fact that a player will not just stay with the team that drafted him anyore for sentiments sake.

We have cashed up expansion teams throwing out the dollars, and free agency beginning in the not too distant future. Players that resisted the "go home" factor midway through their careers will now be offered a lot more to return to their home state.

I just don't see why Ablett, Bock etc are doing something wrong here. They have done it in a professional manner (Krak excepted), amidst ridiculous speculation for about 8 months now.

Reply #290624 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol you and anon, sorry to get the arguments mixed up.

Can't disagree with what you just said.

Reply #290625 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just to clarify, I did say loyalty was out the window, just not dead. A lot of players will still think with their hearts first. Nothing wrong with that either IMO.

Ablett, Brown and Bock all had to do the smart thing whilst their bodies were holding up still, and in their prime. All three have young families as well I think, so I would think long and hard about it as well if I was in their position.

Reply #290628 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

It fell out the window and still lived? lol that's cool, I see your point.

I certainly blame the AFL more than anything. Their compensation system is a joke. Involve a hint of subjectivity and clubs get screwed.

Reply #290629 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

My point about Bock wasn't about his lack of professionalism. I direct this at the club. A certain coach allegedly told him to p*** off and leave after fronting the players. Be bigger than that. Williams and Carr showed us how it can be done.

Reply #290631 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ha ha, you said dead not me, was what I was trying to say.

Agreed re the compensation. I have not seen a fair offer yet.

Moses, Bomber hasn't exactly been the most professional with his comments regarding Ablett all season either IMO, nor Worsfold (I think it was). I agree 100% with what you are saying about some clubs.

Reply #290634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with hunt swallow etc being huge bball fans, can we expect them to get the whole suns roster to regularly attend games?

Reply #290645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754