Isaac
Years ago

Top End: Tigers vs 36ers, 30 Sep 2010

Live stats

Game tips off in a couple of minutes. Looks like Winder's ankle has pulled up OK after the Cats game.

Starters:
Winder, Holmes, Hill, DeVries, Ballinger
Nevill, Campbell, Devendorf, Helliwell, Tragardh

Tigers indeed running Tragardh as their SF. 36ers trying Hill again as starting SF - hope he can find his place there even if he has a mismatch in defending Tragardh in this one!

Both teams trying to exploit that speed vs size mismatch - Tragardh fouls Hill on the first play, then gets a revenge score at the other end.

Sixers up 4-2 after a minute or so.

Topic #23918 | Report this topic

Hopeful  
Years ago

12-4 down, hmmmmm.

Reply #290695 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

34-24 in the Tigers favour, as is the rebound count 14-4.

Reply #290699 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Shich! Knew we'd get raped on the boards, but didn't think it would be that drastic.

Reply #290700 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Wow....Rebounding count is like 19-8 in favour of Melbourne. I expected them to be ahead but so far ahead.

Thats not good. But turnovers arent too bad for the first half. Just our offense is critical considering we have more shots put up than Melbourne.

Second half has to be way better!

Reply #290701 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Disappointing start. However even more disappointing is that the NBL live scores doesn't even have the correct team list - still listing Nathan Herbert.

Reply #290703 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

36ers looking small and puny compared with monster Tiger lineup.
Offence almost exclusively perimeter.

Reply #290704 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

lead back to 5, end of the 3rd...
36ers making the most of the Tigers in the foul bonus.

Reply #290707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers 13 rebounds in 3 quarters very ordinary. They need to play DJ more minutes.

Reply #290708 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Tigers now leading by 7 at the end of the 3rd...

they have more offensive rebounds than we have defensive ?!?

Reply #290709 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

36ers still hanging around to their credit, down 8 with 7min left.

Reply #290713 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Oops spoke too soon. Corletto's just gone beserk!!!

Reply #290714 | Report this post

Hopeful  
Years ago

Geez, pretty pathetic effort, even for a preseason game. 34-17 rebounds is woeful effort. Some give me the heads up on when we can press the panic button. Probably signed a little small Marty!

Reply #290716 | Report this post

HappyJ  
Years ago

highlights the importance of a harris maybe?

Reply #290718 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Hopefully young Mitch is a rebounding machine!

Reply #290719 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Hopefully young Mitch is a rebounding machine!

Reply #290720 | Report this post

Hopeful  
Years ago

Yeah youd have to give him ago after this...unless he is THAT horrible, and shouldnt be a training member anyways? Getting off topic, but this is a worry, lack of rebounding is a common negative, not like a 'bad shooting night'.

Reply #290721 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Johnson Scored well in this game but only got 3 rebounds if he can get 5-8 on average in the season with around 8 from Holmes and Ballinger and around 5 from Hill, Dowdell and Creek we should be ok but wont be great rebounding wise as we do probably have one of the smaller teams.
Good to see Johnson get some minutes and put some points on the boards, i think a line up of Johnson, Ballinger, Holmes to start the front court will hold its own against most on the boards.

Reply #290722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14pts in 4th quarter for DJ.

Reply #290724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

first post ever so hello!!

Just a few things that i noticed from the box scores..

Ballinger on putting up 7 shots in 32 mins... is this a result of him player the majority at the 5 with the bigger defender picking him up rather then the 4??? if so then i agree with what a few people on here have said already and start johnson.. if only to defer the bigger defender away from ballinger..

i think that melbourne are going to out rebound pretty much everyone in the league this year with starting 3 guys who could pretty much start at the 5 in most teams.. so i think the rebounding from tonight could possibly be excused..

but overall (despite the loss tonight) it looks as though if the guys can get it together in close games we should be looking at a good season!!

Reply #290728 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice effort from DJ. Hope that gets his confidence going. BTW, although he only had 3 rebs in this game, he did only play 20 mins.

Sixers clearly got smashed on the boards in this game, but to be fair to them, they out-rebounded Perth in the last game. It was the TOs that burned them in that one.

The thing I am liking about this Sixers team is that they are consistently racking up good assist totals. 23 tonight - Carter with 8 and Winder with 7. Seems like the ball is moving better and we actually have guys who can shoot!

Clearly need to improve D, rebs and TOs but it will be nice if I don't have to cringe at our offence anymore like I did last season!

Reply #290732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oddly enough, despite their height advantage, much of the Tigers' scoring came from long range. 8 assists from Carter is very good - he's having an excellent pre-season. After that 22-9 start, I thought they would've been thrashed.

Reply #290733 | Report this post

Hopeful  
Years ago

Isaac, id say that is because the ball was kicked out for long range shot...Corletto had 4 3's in the 4th quarter i believe. The Tigers have big bodies that love to bang, but finesses offensive put backs arent Wade and Luke's strengths. I just dont like the fact we arent winning games, preseason or not, havent been purely convinced by one effort this year so far. This team is to short for my liking.

Reply #290739 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, Clarke noted in a comment within Boti's recent article that this was the first time the team had lost the rebound count. Hopefully Creek helps.

Reply #290755 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I gotta be blunt and say I am not overly excited by the last 2 games however I guess improvement will be for all to see in the first few rounds.
Regardless of how we do, the support never wanes.
Eventually we gotta turn the corner, and this year hasnt begun so we will see.

Reply #290759 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Interested to see how much zone 36ers were forced to play because of mismatch inside.
Decent effort that aside,although catchup mode most of game.
Ballinger was disappointing and he has a habit of disappearing in some games. Would have thought his perimeter game might counter Tigers leadfoot frontline?
Scoring won't be the same problem as last year, but stopping teams probably will.

Reply #290760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tonight the Cats take on the Tigers and it's another chance for teams to watch and learn how they might negate the Tigers' height advantage. From Shayne Hope:

Beveridge, who has opted for mobility over size this year, predicted tonight's game would provide an important glimpse at how the clash in styles might play out during the regular season.

For a while now I've wondered about the recruiting tactic of loading up on the top bigs and depriving competing teams of the same chance. It's going to be very interesting to see how it works or doesn't work for Melbourne.

Reply #290781 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Impressed with how easily DJ scored in the paint against the Tigers twin towers in the last quarter.

No problems in scoring against the Tigers,
difficulty is stopping them.

Reply #290790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We finished bottom of the ladder at the Top End Challenge and will now play the Darwin Airport All-Stars on Saturday.

Reply #290873 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754