HW
Years ago

U14 national championships

Haven't heard much about these this week but they are heading towards finals.

In the boys Sturt have made top 4 and play a semi vs Melbourne tonight. Forestville are playing off for 9-12 and Eastern 21-24.

In the girls North and Forestville are 9-12 and Sturt 21-24.

Good luck to the SA teams in the final 2 days, especially the Sturt boys... Bring home a medal for SA!

Topic #23923 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another disappointing result from a mavs junior team. I wonder if this club and it's coaches understand that talent only gets you so far and the rest is about preparation, scouting and making sure the kids are fit

Reply #290820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Another disappointing result from a mavs junior team"

I'm not from mav's but can I just remind you anon that it was only 12 months ago a mavs junior team only lost 1 game at the u14 club nationals last year. And I also believe they performed better than any other SA side picking up bronze.

They also had a team this year win the state champs which just recently win the winter season div 1's. Which is better than some clubs have performed in recent times. I appreciate what some clubs have been able to achieve but these clubs also have a bigger pool size of kids playing for them.

So I say well done to the mav's boys for making the nationals and look forward to seeing them play against my club in what are sure to be great games in the future. And as for that anon you need to have a good hard look at the bigger picture because you've got a serious case of tunnel vision.

Reply #290823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt went down to Tigers by 2, 46-44. Tough loss without one of their best players. Great effort none the less. Good luck in the bronze medal game, still an impressive achievement if their good enough.

Reply #290856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw this game and the Tigers were far from their best. Sturt shot very well from the 3 point line.

Tigers didnt hit their shots but in the last quarter their guards went to town, taking control and scoring their final 10 points to take the four point lead with 4 seconds to go.

Scrappy game but well done to both teams!

Reply #290862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know how many clubs have taken out the Elthem Dandenong, Classics, State and Nationals in one year! Also how many clubs have had boys and girls with Nationals! Just curious given Melbournes achievements this year!

Reply #290939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it has all been done before my friend.

Reply #290963 | Report this post

Pineapple lover  
Years ago

Well done to Tigers girls who dominated all week. Smart play by coaches to continually rotate and run full bench.
This ensured 'fresh legs' on the court at all times.
Our team couldn't match their intensity past half time, and neither could any other team from looking at the scores.

Reply #290974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just out of curiosity, how did they manage to score so much, so consistently? Did they press? Or was it just do to the fact they maintained high intensity the whole game?

Reply #290979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have great shooters who can score inside and out. Their intensity was great. Well coached and disciplined bunch of girls.

Reply #290990 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Which club has done it all before in the same year. Sturt I suppose? Perhaps Knox?

Reply #291016 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

Pretty sure Werribee has done it before

Reply #291044 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I doubt it - not in the same year. I know Werribee have won boys

Reply #291046 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Id also like to congrtuate the Tigers girls. They were clearly the best team at the tournament and were deserved champions. Congratulations to Logan too. They did great job making the final.

Reply #291537 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754