mystro
Years ago

Has the Top End Challenge changed your opinion?

Now that the annual top End Challenge Tournament is over with the Wildcats taking it out, has your opinion of how Teams are going to go this season changed?

I'm pretty stoked how the Breakers new Import Wilkinson went, did well to step up without Penney and Bruton.
Perth are gonna be a tough team to beat anywhere and GC have put together a decent squad but still need to gel like most other teams.
I think this season is going to finish close like last season.

Topic #23948 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think Perth and Gold Coast are definitely the early favourites.

Like any season, depth and fitness will be the key to the championship.

Reply #291125 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not really. Knew that Perth would still be tough (and were one of the few teams with their full roster in play, besides the Alice game). Breakers have potential again. Rest are roughly around the same level.

Reply #291126 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Blaze are at this stage overated IMO. Sure, on paper we seem to have all the right pieces but the way they have played in the 2 games Ive seen so far shows there is a LOT of work to be done. Id expect them to start very slowly and build throughout the season. Just need to ensure they dont get themselves to far behind before making a run at the finals.

Perth will be tough again and NZ are top quality as well. Even without Penney they have a team who will do very well. Abercrombie is a superstar in the making. If they can get Penney back...look out!

Reply #291127 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

Yeah Breakers import Wilkinson looked to have the goods. Was bagged a bit when first signed on another thread.
Blaze look to be the improvers.
Kings where a surprise with there results and are alot more competitive then I thought.
Taipens may struggle no depth at all on there roster new import will need to turn into a monster dble dble guy who can work in tandem with Loughton for them to have a chance.
All the rest seemed to go the way everone expected.

Reply #291128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Taipens may struggle no depth"

rychart, grabau, dillon, brebner and george isnt a bad bench

Reply #291154 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

That's a pretty average bench.

GC say a "virus messed up our Top End Challenge" (http://linky.com.au/8i4qg).
That might explain the slow start. I think they'll be veeerrry good this year.

TBH I can't even remember too many actual results from the comp but it was good to get a better picture of the newcomers. Ervin, Winder, Freeman and Wilkinson all look fantastic.

Is NZ still signing Sean Marks or what? That would be a pretty imposing frontline.

Reply #291165 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ are waiting for the Wizards to waive him so they can sign him. 10years in the NBA under his belt will go a long way to helping NZ to it's first title

Reply #291166 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

A good way to test the strength of a bench is which of those guys would or could start elsewhere. The only one is Dusty and he is getting on.
Just don't think there is much depth, but you can disagree.

Reply #291169 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Has Crosswhite been starting over Dusty?

Reply #291172 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

it has raised the question over the sixers ability to close out games again this year and get some wins! when centrebet had them as the favourite for the wooden spoon i laughed it off...but now in the only real test so far they did finish dead last!! hhhmmmm!!

Reply #291187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The results in the Top End challenge were so close across the board that even if Adelaide beat Perth by a point, they still would've finished last. Only Perth won both their regular games (and was a buzzer-beater off going 1-1). Only Adelaide lost both theirs (and was a buzzer-beater off going 1-1 too). Every other team was 1-1.

This pre-season, they've come from a few points down to beat Townsville and Wollongong in the two games I've seen personally. Against Melbourne, they came back from miles down to really only suffer at the hands of Corletto lighting it up from long range.

I don't think Adelaide should be top four with the bookies, but nor do I think they've shown a problem with closing out games. In fact, a few years back, they would've turned 10 point deficits into absolute blow-out losses. This pre-season, they've rallied quite a few times - I think that may be the biggest improvement about the team so far, and hopefully they can keep it up.

Reply #291192 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Whilst it is reassuring for the fans to see their Team win pre-season tournaments and play well in practise matches, no Championship points are on offer.

There have been some positive signs towards a better showing than last year. The main thing that irked most fans last season was the way the 36ers played and how they repeatedly snached defeat from the jaws of victory.

Even if they dont win the Championship this season, I think most fans would appreciate a lot more positive way in which they play. There is no such this as an honourable defeat, but they sure are better than what happened too many time last season.

Reply #291195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty and Loughton will start. Most teams were changing their lineups. Christ, Pero and Garlepp started for Blaze in the first game.

Reply #291294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754