LC
Years ago

Opals team for 2012 Olympics

Following the disappointment of losing to the Czech Republic and finishing 5th at the recent World Championships, it is worth taking stock and consideraing what may be required for success at the 2012 London Olympics.

Coach Graf chose her team for 2010 - she has to live and die by her selections and performance of the team. Was the loss to the Czech's just a bad night at the office for the Opals, or does the loss point to greater issues? Does Graf deserve a chance for redemption in London? Who at this early stage is in contention to make the final 12 in London?

Worth also reading this BA article where Graf states she wants more time with the team before the 2012 games: http://linky.com.au/yz5e7

Topic #23949 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

" To take 3 first timers of that size in Cambage Tolo Bishop is a big call." Stirling said on the Summerton Screen issue.
Yet Cambage was our best player.
Taylor and Jackson WERE fatigued and didn't fire - is the problem - being normally our best 2 players.

Reply #291137 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Apart from making Cambage the go-to player, can't think of any good plays from Graf, any spark she gave the team. She s ure makes Jan Stirling look good. Bishop, Phillips could have had more time, the team was very flat and played dull. Why keep Kristi on when she wasn't adding anything? Great player, but all players have off-days, so why not try a few new things?

Reply #291138 | Report this post

MAD  
Years ago

I agree that Graf didn't give Tully or Phillips enough of a run in the back court and both could of changed the tempo of the games.

Reply #291147 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

As has been noted by several people the wisdom of Graf leaving out Summerton and Screen must be questioned. Both players have extensive (and successful) experience playing in Europe. Their experience was required when the Opals had to play European teams. Is Graf trying to prove a point by leaving out core players from the Stirling era? Cambage was brilliant (particularly for her age) but Bishop and Tolo (in particular - didn't make the court in the quarter final) were average. The commentators on Foxtel made particular note of Erin's energy, defence, etc when she was on the court. But as has been noted - she was not on the court enough. Kristi and Tully both looked tired - but Graf appears too inflexible when it comes to identifying problems. Graf's idea of having the WNBA players stay home for the year before London is great, but, who pays for it. Female players have limited opportunities to earn good money playing basketball (and then only a few get top dollar), so how can they be asked to give up a years earnings (maybe Graf will pay out of her contract). BA sacked a Boomers coach for not producing results, will they look at Graf given this is the worst Opals result in 20 years (LOL)?

Reply #291148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My two cents

Graf went looking for some balance between senior/veterans and youth.

Remember she also needs to build a team for London 2012 (and hoping she gets a contract extension) beyond. Having a bunch of rookies at either 2012 or 2014 would be a disaster. Players such as Tolo, Richards and even Bishop (although I don't believe she is built for International basketball) need to be getting experience now.

As South Australian's we were all disappointed with the exclusion of Summerton and our adopted daughter Screen. But it has to be remembered that Screen was at best 10-man on the Olympic team and Summerton has come off a serious injury.

None of us were in attendance at the camps and while we all know what both players can do, we haven't had the luxury of seeing either player recently.

On the Tournament itself ...

FIBA has to take some blame for the disappointing tournament of #2 ranked Russia and #3 ranked Australia as well as the previously #4 ranked Brazil.

The timing of the tournament, especially given its location was a mistake. FIBA needs to consider the top leagues across the world when deciding when World Championships are to be played. Playing this event just days after the completion of the WNBA was a mistake that only the US team with its considerable depth managed to overcome.

Also let's not forget the WNBA final was decided in 3 games. Had the WNBA finals gone to 5 games that would have been played on Monday September 20 at the earliest just 3 days prior to the first day of the World Championships.

Jackson, Bishop (Australia), Jana Vesela (Czech Rep), Iziane Marques, de Souza (Brazil) and Sue Bird, Angel McCoughtry, Swin Cash (USA) were all involved in the WNBA Finals, not to mention the numerous players involved in Conference Semis and Finals like Taurasi (USA) and Taylor (Australia).

All of these players had limited preparation for the World Championship due to the timing of the event.

Like it or not the WNBA is the elite, Europe is not. FIBA need to accept that and allow for the WNBA program when setting the dates for 2014.

The other issue was the refereeing. FIBA control the style of the game internationally. Australia is an example of a country which not only exactly follows the FIBA rules and interpretations but also has a voice in developing the rules and interpretations FIBA puts in place.

The refereeing standard at a FIBA or Olympic tournament is always inconsistent. This happens because each country supplies an equal number of referees. If you want the tournament refereed at the highest level possible 90% of referees would come from one country, the USA.

But the other issue was the way the referees were told to enforce the rules. The World Championships were not refereed as per FIBA interpretations sent to each Countries governing body.

The travel rule was not enforced as FIBA expects its member countries to enforce it locally.

The illegal screens were not managed as FIBA expects its member countries to manage them.

The post play was not managed as FIBA expects its member countries to manage it locally.

Protection of shooters, Hand-Checking, Bumping of cutters were also inconsistent with the Interpretations FIBA issues to member countries.

FIBA has the rules and Interpretations on its website, anyone with an hour to spare can see huge discrepancies between these documents and the way the tournament was refereed.

To be blunt it appeared FIBA wanted close results and allowed 'weaker' teams to break the rules in order to stay close to the 'stronger' teams. Russia would not have lost to Belarus if the game was refereed as it should have been. Australia would not have lost to the Czech Republic if the game had been refereed on the above points the way FIBA instructs member countries to educate their referees.

Every game Australia played in, the rules were different. When the physical aspects were managed by referees and the game was about skill Australia played well. When games were decided by physicality, illegal bumping of players, hand-checking of penetrators and holding and pushing of post players Australia could not compete.

The lesson to learn for Graf is that the game as we in Australia believe it should be played will not always be how it is played at an International Tournament. She needs the be better prepared for the fact "weaker countries" will be allowed to beat her team up at 2012 and throwing her fist in the air demanding a foul will not be enough. She needs to prepare her offence for a physical defence and find Taylor and Jackson shots off screens and cuts despite the fact they'll both be held, pushed and slapped while getting free and shooting the ball.

Reply #291155 | Report this post

Yeti  
Years ago

Agree with the above post on most points:

1. Selection for 2010 team should have some connection to the 2012 Olympic team;
2. The timing of the tournament certainly didn't help us and other countries to show-case our best; and
3. FIBA's tournament technical committee contributed to not only close games and upsets, but also to general confusion from teams and fans in watching the rule interpretations for that 2 weeks.

What can Graf do between now and 2012 concerning those 3 points:

a. Show some faith in the 1999 AIS graduating class - Jackson, Taylor and Harrower are the foundations. Build the offense around Jackson and Taylor, playing off penetration by Harrower and Phillips, and the almost certain double-teaming on Cambage;
b. Teach Bishop, Tolo, Grima and maybe Penaluma how to be complimentary role players to the big 3 (Jackson, Taylor & Cambage). Additionally our smalls must be able to score, thus I'd have Phillips and Poto in the team in a heartbeat;
c. Develop a small ball option that sees LJ in the Post or spreading the floor (depending on opponents); and lastly to really do that well
d. Similar to the Boomers, develop wings that can get to the hole/FT line consistently. Snell or O'Hea as staionery catch & shooters are too one dimensional. Give Tippet a sniff in some warm-up tournaments. She is a great athlete but lacks O'Hea's muscle, but I'd suggest because of her foot speed she can convert at a higher clip even at international standard.

My London Olympic Opals:
Harrower
Snell
Taylor
Jackson
Cambage
Phillips
O'Hea
Bishop
Tolo
Grima
Tippett
Poto

Reply #291182 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

best thread for a long time as far as positive suggestions go - well done to all posters.

The main thing that the Opals need is time together as a team. Whilst it may be idealistic to think that the players would give up their professional careers for 3-6 months to achieve this, it is likely that 2012 will be the last opportunity for some of these girls to win an Olympic Gold. If the desire is strong enough, perhaps it might happen. The almighty $$ may be the ends to a means for a professional player but all those $$ cannot buy a Gold medal. It is the desire of the players and the sacrifices they are prepared to make that makes the dream a reality.

Reply #291193 | Report this post

Vic  
Years ago

Agree, good constructive comments on this thread. As opposed to some of the others.

I support Carrie Graf's call for our players not to play in the WNBA in 2012.

London, I think, will be the best chance we ever have to win a gold.

We should go all out to get the best preparation possible.

Reply #291203 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Some great posts but can't agree with poster who said Screen would've been 10-th man at best. In Beijing when Taylor went down in the quarters, Screen stepped up to start in the semi final and her value as a lock-down defender would have been integral in beating Czech Rep this time around.
Could not follow Graf's thinking a lot of the time.

Reply #291206 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Lots of good points.

I think the role players point made by Yeti is a good one that extends to Cambage and Jackson. Two leaders aren't twice as good. I think one of our strengths in the past has been Penny being complementary to Loz and not competitive - she has effectively been a role player.

I suspect part of the problem in the Czech Republic was an identity crisis - are we Loz' team or are we now Liz' team.

I also think we need to adapt to the changes in the World game and in Loz' game - Seattle used her very effectively in the WNBA Finals getting her moving and catching and shooting after movement. Rarely was she asked to get a catch on the block and operate or isolated against a defender and asked to operate. That not her game any more (if it ever was).

Now for what I see as the biggest issue - our inability to contain permiter penetration. It cost us big time at the 17's - teams just shot the lights out from 3 - and it cost us big time with the Opals. If you can't contain penetration then you must provide help which then leaves a shooter naked for 3 - which you simply cant do.

I reckon you wont lose a game if you give up only tough two's but lay-ups and open 3's will kill you. We couldn't contain penetration for two reasons - our perimeter athletes were not good enough to contain players one on one and if they were, we did not do a good job defending the on-ball.

In terms of selections I don't think I'd ever pick Poto if you value team chemistry and I think Tippett (and I'm a fan) will not be ready by 2012.

I reckon there's significant re-loading to do - only, Jackson, Taylor, Cambage, Harrower (if she wants to stay) are certainties. Tolo needs a mid-range threat, Bishop needs athleticism, Grima needs an inside threat, Phillips needs complete control to run the point or extrarodinary shooting (at her size) to play the 2, Snell is done I think (unless she rediscovers her shooting form), O'Hea has potential which I think will work (she is a good athlete, shoots OK, can get to the rim and wants to play D and I expect her to continue to improve under Tom).

Not sure where the next generation are - thank you Mr Kinsman.

Reply #291207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt Kinsman was a dud ankles but state selectors have to wear some if not all of the blame for a 5 or 6 years of ordinary selections. Team ethic and skill has not been part of the selection processes and picking tallish mares and hoping they develop was a long shot.
One of the glaring omissions in the past few years has been the defined ability to play under pressure,make good decisions and absorb punishment, some call it guts or heart and it's an element missing in most of the newbies.Ankles, you would know the reputation of most of the girls that have been picked at 17's and 19's and perhaps a third have the characteristics needed.
I don't think they have anyone within the selection processes that even considers these elements.

Reply #291209 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I love that LONG post by annon above.

I think you have a decent next gen in Liz and Jenna, they might be the next Jackson and Taylor. But yeah, where's the rest of the pieces.

I think Summerton should have been selected, had a sneak peak at one of the camps and she seemed to be doing well.

Personally I'd replace Graf. She's a knowledgable coach but not a good decision maker. I think she's too stubborn with her ideas and doesn't seem to have back up plans. When you watch the games when the team was tested, you can see a sense of panic in her tone and she's just not comfortable.

Another part to her coaching is rotations. Players like Phillips were much underused. Even the kind of minutes that were given out it's hard for players to perform consistently. You'll notice Graf to take a player out for 10 minutes (~15minutes in actual time) then insert her again. That just get the players cold and out of rhythm, so players like Snell would obviously struggle. Even O'Hea started the tournament well but I believe the odd rotation got to her mid-way through.

Reply #291211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting you make that comment. While I wouldn't take anything away from those chosen (they have done their best at every opportunity) I would make the same criticism of the process I have made elsewhere - by devaluing performances at Nationals you fail to identify the 'competitors' in the group ( I think we're saying the same thing).

Classic example was the Gems squad for the NZ games - assume any squad of 12 will have four talls. Squad of 19 into camp, 4 talls picked = no competition. Never mind they lost 2 through injury and illness which then meant no competition even for court time.

If you don't have to compete often, you forget what it's like to be under pressure and handle it!

Not an Opals problem but a development problem - do we get the competitors coming through?

Reply #291213 | Report this post

Vic  
Years ago

LA Boy had a "sneak peak" at one of the camps & thinks Laura Summerton should have been selected & that Carrie Graf should be sacked.

That post sounds more like an SA Girl than an LA Boy to me.

Reply #291252 | Report this post

Big Daddy  
Years ago

Haha. Yes it does.

Someone should tell Jan (and Laura) that in order for her to be selected for London she needs to perform in the lead-up games, not just in practice.

Reply #291253 | Report this post

just home  
Years ago

great post - anon - 100% with you on the reffing comments - I was gobsmacked at some of the calls.

one that got me was penny taylor drove, finished her steps and was putting a shot up and she was bear hugged from the weakside accross the front of her body.

late call from the refs and then.... wait for it - end line inbounds..... I had to turn it off.

cambage catches the ball above her head - safest and samrtest thing to do. her 20 cm shorter oppont hacks her arms and the ball spills - foul ..... not in your life, steal to the opposition and a fast break with a score. spewing

Reply #291255 | Report this post

Sharon  
Years ago

And Vic, your comment sounds more like a a Graf supporter than a knowledgable basketball one! And Big Daddy (if that is your real name), last time I checked it is pretty hard to perform in games (not just practice) from the bench. It seems practice form had no bearing on minutes on the court so thank you for clarifying that. I agree with the earlier post that Graf has tried to remove herself from the 'Jan' era which I completely understand, but unfortunately it has proved to be to her detriment. You can say whatever you want above the team, fatigue of top players, etc but it's nothing that previous coaches haven't had to deal with as well. At the end of the day, results will be how coaches and teams are measured and this tournament was a fail.

Reply #291282 | Report this post

Vic  
Years ago

G'day Shazza. Thanks for confirming you posted the LA Boy comments.

I support Carrie Graf to continue on as coach (as I'm sure she will) and her call for our WNBA players to sit out the 2012 WNBA season.

Reply #291290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sharon if not Carrie then who?

Reply #291291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

.Maybe looking at bringing back the Sapphires so our team gets a better international exposure. It could have been a very BAD move having the Under 17 then Under 19 and then the BIG gap with on other International Australian Team Tournament exposure until the Opals. Do the powers to be know what they were doing?

Reply #291297 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

Don't forget there is the World University Games in there somewhere as well.

Reply #291561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754