Oberon 17
Years ago

Kings Struggle for Sponsor

Race against clock for top NBL team to net a sponsor

THE National Basketball League's flagship Sydney team, the Kings, is without a major sponsor just two weeks from the season launch.

It has even dropped the value of its packages to 1995 levels.

The NBL has become a key part of the equation in what has been dubbed a year of rejuvenation for the sport.

Interesting article, that I don't recall seeing posted on here yet, probably because it doesn't appear in the sports section so was missed.

Even at $500,000 it seems fairly high for a naming rights sponsor for a sport which isn't exactly mainstream. Is that perhaps why Hood Sweeney appears to have fallen off??

Topic #23950 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hood Sweeney were not paying anywhere near $500,000.

They also dropped off for other reasons that had nothing to do with the cost or exposure of the sport.

Reply #291150 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

New team should have been required ot have this stitched up before re-entering the lague IMO. Does this mean the NBL will have to keep propping them up financially whether by their own cash or the $1m guarantee?

Reply #291158 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Show some companies the TV schedule!!

Reply #291173 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Or is that why the TV schedule is the way it is? To help find a sponsor ASAP?

Reply #291175 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i agree with LC, this should have already been sorted if it is so crucial. not surprising though. it was more about getting the team up and ready for the free to air season more so than anything. maybe they didnt anticipate it to be this difficult?

Reply #291183 | Report this post

one hd  
Years ago

Where is the TV Schedule ?

Reply #291198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide doesn't have a Naming Rights sponsor anymore does it?

What happened to Pura Milk..they are gone this year :(

Reply #291200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should be sponsored by the swans.

Reply #291217 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I think the sport itself is fairweather until it gets a firm backing from TV viewers. People have forgotten basketball exists however give it time, I think the sponsors will once again return.

On the issue of Sydney, I am sure they have many premier partners. The Sydney City Council used to be partners, why not approach them or Star City. They have the money.

All clubs must approach groups and request sponsorship. Gone are the days of sitting back and thinking because its the Mitsubishi NBL season, people and sponsors will come.

Reply #291241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

dave, I doubt any club is sitting back and waiting for sponsors. It's just a tough market for anything outside of the media darlings (AFL, swimming, tennis, etc).

Reply #291244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

500K is a fair whack too. They say that's half of what the major NRL sponsors pay, but does the NBL get half the coverage of the NRL? Maybe in SA and Victoria. In NSW it's half the sports pages at least during the season.

Reply #291269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened with hood sweeney? if they are not major sponsors anymore are the new key ways blue now?

Reply #291298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Discontinued sponsorship. New keys are blue.

Reply #291303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now Adelaide is struggling for enough sponsors..

Reply #291305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers should try and go for a sponsor with a national profile. The five year deal on FTA allows for much more potential to cash in than previously.

Aren't Coopers trying to break into the Victorian market at the moment?

Reply #291307 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On reflection - the transformed blue key looks tiny and the 3point line swelled a long way.

Reply #291430 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754