Isaac
Years ago

Anyone know much about Kiwi Steven Adams?

Saw this on Stuff.co.nz:

(Steven) Adams, who stands 2.08m (6'10 in the old currency) and wears size 21 feet, has been touted as a potential NBA prospect by Breakers US-based scout Jonathan Givony.

The youngster has dazzling athleticism and is said to be still growing.

He has already attracted plenty of attention from American college scouts and Tall Blacks coach Nenad Vucinic had hoped to include him in his training camp ahead of the recent world championships but the youngster had commitments elsewhere.

The Breakers are looking for Adams to spend some time with them in Auckland next week following the match.
Anyone seen him play? Worth the hype in the article? Here's the full story
Another interesting inclusion in the All-Stars lineup is Zarryon Fereti, a name unfamiliar to Kiwi hoops fans, but maybe not for much longer.

Fereti has Samoan and Australian parents, but a grandfather who was born in New Zealand.

He is exploring his eligibility options and for the meantime is based in Auckland and has been training with the Breakers.
Where was it Fereti played as a development player? Dragons? Or Tigers? I think there was some talk linking him to Sydney at some point?

Topic #23962 | Report this topic

MG  
Years ago

haha 'wears size 21 feet'

Reply #291398 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Have played against Adams, and I am a close friend of his. Aggressive post-player, if he catches it in the key he is throwing it down. Solid mid-range jumper and good footwork both offensively and defensively.
Shot-blocker indeed; if he isn't blocking shots, he is generally using his length and height to make players alter their shots.

Post-moves--still a work in progress. Doesn't have a wide variety of post moves, except seal, catch and dunk. When your 6"10 and your going up against other centers in NZ who are 6"4, its hard not to just seal, catch and dunk the ball.

Work ethic --exceptional under the guidance of Kenny McFadden. I don't know if he will actually participate in the Breakers stuff; We tried despearately to get him into the Junior Tall Black team for the recent FIBA tournament; Unfortunately, there is some politics going down and Kenny Mac, who acts as his father figure, is really relunctant on letting him into the Breakers/National team stuff. From his viewpoint, he wants him to focus entirely on his commitment to PITT. I really hope he develops into a successful player; his family is extremely poor, hence why he hasn't got the type of exposure/travelling he deserves.

Reply #291399 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why is he so concerned about the Breakers/Tall Blacks? Sounds a bit like Majok or Iti or whoever it was that was being overly-mentored.

Reply #291427 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Isaac, money has been the big issue behind it all. But also Kenny Mac, his mentorer, has got a little offside with BBNZ and so he has kind of said "well if you don't want my help, Steven won't be a part of the national teams"

Reply #291468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Using someone else for revenge. That's gotta be great for the kid...

Reply #291480 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Did he go to a secondary school? Sounds like he would have dominated at that level?
What is his future if not Breakers, BBNZ?

Reply #291517 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree with Issac, the Mentors ego is getting in the way of the Kids future.

Reply #291520 | Report this post

Vesta34  
Years ago

He should be in the Tall Blacks this year. Needs 2 work on his left hand however. Good kid as well

Reply #324857 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754