Tony
Years ago

Is jump from U12 Div 1 to U 14 Div 1 to big ?

My son has been advised he is playing div 1 U14 this year straight from U12. Is this too big a jump ?

Topic #23987 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes for some, no for others... Speak to your Coaching Director about the issues here is probably the worse place to ask.

Reply #291681 | Report this post

just home  
Years ago

depends on player club coach parents etc

Reply #291684 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You need to take into consideration - that he perhaps will sit on the bench and not get a lot of court time - if you as a parent are prepared for that and so is your son, then there should be no issue, but on the otherhand playing in Div 2 may develop him as a player more if he is getting plenty of court time especiallky as it sounds like he is a fairly sound player

Reply #291693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you have to ask the question, the answer is yes.

Reply #291696 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The boys are a lot bigger in U14 as this is when puberty really kicks in. If your son was a giant in U12, he's probably small fry in U14. You'll find some kids well over 6'. Some co-ordinated, some pretty "un-co".

The game is a lot faster.

He might be the 9th player in a squad and get a lot of bench time ready for next season. He might be thrown to the wolves. Would he be better off being a star in Div 2, or an also ran in Div 1? Really depends on what you want for your son? I have seen kids gone from stars in U12 to benchwarmers in Div 1 U14, then spit next season because they weren't stars.

The coach obviously thinks he has potential, but if in doubt, talk to the coach and ask him to articulate his intentions / plan.

Reply #291699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as he is getting court time there should be no problem, the coach obviously thinks he is capable, but don't waste a season watching others play

Reply #291707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's also important not to compare your child to the last game of last season.

The majoirty of those kids are now in Under 16s. The size and skill of those in Under 14s for the Summer would be nowhere near the standard of Under 14s from last Winter Season.

Your child will only be playing kids one age level older then them.

As has been said above as long as your child gets enough minutes to contribute and enjoy playing then I wouldn't worry about the title of the grade they're playing in. I think that goes for every team, every age group actually.

Reply #291708 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

I think the biggest jump seems to be from 14's to 16's
This is when not only size but aggression comes into the game(yeah for testosterone)
A small skillful U12 will do well in 14's as structure of the game should still allow for a role. Often by 16's the kid that was tall early has had to develope a 3 role and that is when fighting for a div 1 spot as a bottom age can be difficult

Reply #291716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16s to 18s is harder then 14s to 16s

Reply #291735 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Big jump but nothing compared to going from U36 to U38 this year. Strewth, the knees are shot, the ankles are shot, shoulders hurt and that doesn't even mention the psychological injuries.

Reply #291775 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL Moses,
But is that a jump up, or a jump down?

Reply #291778 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

14-16 is a much bigger 'jump' then 16-18

Reply #291795 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

18 to 23's is the biggest

Reply #291797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any jump feels like a big jump as a parent watches their child struggle with a new set of challenges and the need to develop a new set of skills. These aren't just basketball skills but coping skills (for when you are dropped from a team your mates are all in after having played with them for 4 years) or social skills as some boys start looking at girls and your kid hasn't worked out why the ineterest is there or other things related to puberty. The biggest physical difference occurs in the U14 age group. Check the stats, most boys have major growth spurts in this age bracket. They do keep growing but it is not unusual as mentioned by others to have kids over 6ft tall in U14. These same kids will play against kids 4ft something. In our squad last night we had one child shorter than the arm pits of another. The key to getting a good team together is the diversity. Having kids of different heights and playing different positions is advantageous and makes for a good balance.
Is the jump too big, for a lot of kids yes and I would not want my son to make the jump. I would suggest that there is a very small percentage of kids who could deal with this or get a benefit from it. If I hadn't watched a kid in the Sturt under 14's this last season play I probably would have said no-one should make the step, but this number 13 is really something extraordinary and did belong in Under 14 Div 1. I would suggest that he is the exception and not the norm.

Reply #291852 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

dont worry about it, get him a ball a hoop, and tell him to practice. If he loves the game he'll practice and have fun, and then when ready dominate.

Reply #291874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No its not, my son did it 2 years ago and it is fine. If he has a coach that is supportive and gives equal courtime generally during the season he will develop nicely, and much quicker than in div 2.

Reply #291876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a couple who have made it easy and a couple more to go up. Just look at one team.

Reply #298025 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

No not at all. The presidents kids at tigers have always done this type of jump.

Reply #306001 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well "Interested", maybe it's time to put your hand up in Tigerland!

Reply #306022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754