Anonymous
Years ago

Water vs Sports Drinks

I would like to know what athletes think is best sports drinks or water and why?

Topic #24000 | Report this topic

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Water during exercise, Staminade afterwards (helps revent cramping).

Reply #291894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DOnt drink sports drinks! In all seriousness if you have them before sport they cause problems to your teeth later in life. Ive had problems and all my dentists say its due to sports drinks whilst playing sport. The combination of sugars and dehrydration leads to acid build up in your mouth and eats away at ur teeth.

Reply #291903 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Simple, just brush your teeth after playing sports

Reply #291907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sports drink for a hang over - works a treat!!

Reply #291909 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Water during.

Reply #291913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

drinking before sport can give stitches, after sport is fine. Staminade is the best because it has magnesium which stops cramping. it is better to mix with water as the body will absorb it more easily. you also have to drink water as well you cant just drink sports drinks.

Reply #291914 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

Correct me if iam wrong i was taught that under 1 hr physical activity you drink water thatn after that 1hr you drink sports drink.

Reply #291917 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Amen to sports drinks for hangovers.....

Works a treat

Reply #291918 | Report this post

DH  
Years ago

I prefer the poison

Reply #291924 | Report this post

Boost  
Years ago

i recommend reading first in thirst by Darren Rovell. great read on how 'gatorade' came to be.
it was made by scientists to help a football team.
powerade was made by marketers looking for a buck.

http://firstinthirst.typepad.com/

Reply #292125 | Report this post

zz  
Years ago

Being a sports trainer and research done on this topic it is recommended by SMA that if u going to drink powerade before a game it to be done at least 45mins before rigous activity and that it is diluted to half strength staminade is good for during sport as said above as it prevents cramping but like all things in life moderation is good gatorade is a good drink for during and after sport the same as staminade as it replenishes salt and minerals lost thru sweatingi recommend to my players to drink staminade diluted down during play and after staminade or gatorade full strength

Reply #292186 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Agreed on sports drinks for a hangover aide!

Reply #292188 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

Energy Drinks - What You Need to Know
We've been told that they "give us wings", but are energy drinks damaging our bodies in the long run?
Energy drinks are designed to increase stamina and improve physical performance through the use of ingredients such as caffeine. They are marketed in youthful and frivolous fashion, targeting young people and children and often luring people in with promises of energy bursts and increased endurance.

But there is reason to be cautious about downing these drinks and it’s important people, especially athletes, are aware of the harms they could be inflicting on their bodies. While caffeine is found naturally in the body, energy drinks contain a much higher dose which can have serious immediate effects on the body.

Unlike sports drinks such as Gatorade which replace water and minerals lost during exercise, energy drinks contain caffeine, a diuretic which works to expel water from the body. The combination of exercise and dehydration can be very dangerous as the body is deprived of vital minerals and water.

People participating in sport are encouraged to steer clear of energy drinks, particularly during and after exercise. Most energy drinks come with a consumption warning of no more than two drinks per day, highlighting the possible danger of consuming these drinks on a regular basis.

While further research is required to determine the long term effects, other short term harms resulting from consuming energy drinks include anxiety, irritability, insomnia and agitation.

So next time, think before you sip and if you do decide to chug on an energy drink, hydrate yourself with plenty of water during and after exercise.

This information is provided by Good Sports, a free national program run by the Australian Drug Foundation. Good Sports supports clubs to be safe, healthy and family friendly environments. A Good Sports Project Officer can provide your club with information and advice to make sure your club is performing at its best. For more information about Good Sports, visit www.goodsports.com.au.

This came from sporting pulse ........

Reply #292377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754